M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have purchased an M1A MN and have also purchased a Springfield Armory gen 3 scope base, I have attached a weaver scope and I am getting great groups out of it. However, my groups seem to be wandering, they may start out dead on and then move to 2" low and to the right, then shoot to 2-3" high and left, not real sure what is happening here. There is no pattern to the madness either. I don't think the casings are contacting the mount (there are no dings or brass on the mount) but I could be wrong. Any info would be helpful, even if it is just things to check.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would start by checking your scope mount. The springer Gen 3 mount is notorious for becoming loose after a couple of rounds. I would seriously doubt that there is a problem with your scope. I have heard of people fixing the problem with loctite, a little on both of the main screws. Others just buy different mounts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I currently run a Sadlak steel mount on mine, its rock solid and isnt going anywhere. Other options are the ARMS mount, its the lowest sitting of the mounts and therefore doesn't allow the use of the iron sights. I have no use with the Bassett mount however I have heard it is the best mount to use if your looking for one that can be removed and then put back on without alot of trouble.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
If you want a solid, secure M14 scope mount, try the M14.CA CASM mount. It is designed without mounting points at the left side or the stripper clip guide, so it will fit all those often out of spec aftermarket M14 receivers that have trouble keeping the three point mounts tight in place.

This one is a prototype that is NOT anodised yet, so it is still shiny. I shot a 1 3/4" five shot group with this set up last week, first time out. I will be off to the range today to do more testing with various types of ammo, to see what my new Chinese 14 is really capable off.;

·
Registered
15 Posts
Opinions are like ..........everybody has one........

I hear from some local gun shop friends who did some work in Afghan they used the Fulton Armory mounts on the designated marksman M-14's with allot of success. I have the Springfield mount which I'm told will crack in time. It's attached with loctite and have been good so far. If the mount isn't loose and your internal parts are giggling look at the ammo?
I noted a six inch group difference at 100 yards between match 168 gr and good ole 149 grain XM80. At 100 yards neither is better or worse than the other. They just have different flight characteristics. If I don't eat first and consume allot of coffee I'm all over the paper........I'm just sayin.

·
"Death From Above"
11,920 Posts
I run a gen III mount on my SAI M21. It came installed and shot loose twice within 180 rounds. If you have the two knurled bolts hand tight no doubt this is your problem. Try loosening them by hand. What I did to fix the problem was removed the two screws, cleaned the grease off of them as well as the two holes they go in and put a dab of loc tite on them. I screwed them in hand tight and them turn them with a wide screwdriver approx another 1/4 turn. Don't crank down on them too much. It never came loose again. When I removed the scope mount last summer I actually had to use the screwdriver with the 1/4 inch base and a wrench on that base to remove the screws. It won't come loose.

My other concern would be the fact that you are using a picatiny rail with weaver rings. That could be part of the problem also.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Yes but .....

....but you have to give up your iron sights to use that last mount.... I like my iron sights as backup for optics failure.
- Ivan.
I did mention that the mount in the picture was a PROTOTYPE!!
It comes with a built in rear peep sight hole. Figuring out whether it is worth the bother to make the rear peep adjustable for elevation, or if not, where EXACTLY the rear peep hole should be and what size the hole should be is NOT all science and math. EG: I started with a hole size same as a standard M14 rear peep sight hole, and found it too small and too dark when used UNDER a scope, [ which blocks a lot of light ].

The prototype regular length mount currently has a peep that is NON-adjustable, but here is a pic of a shorty CASM mount with an adjustable for elevation rear peep.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Nice!

I did mention that the mount in the picture was a PROTOTYPE!!

The prototype regular length mount currently has a peep that is NON-adjustable, but here is a pic of a shorty CASM mount with an adjustable for elevation rear peep.
(Note: deleted the pic for brevity)

Good looking mount! Gr8 idea! GI1 A battle-option ghost-sight large diam. peep, which might be threaded to also accept a Williams peep insert, might be the way to go, set up for, say, 150m dead-center hold, but big enough with the Williams insert removed to allow for use in CQB conditions (as in: perhaps mount a glowing fiber-optic bead on the far end of your bayonet!ll GI3).

BTW,My high Bassett does allow for easy use of the regular iron sights.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Scope mounts

I have both a Sadlak and a low mount Basset. The Sadlak holds a zero quite well and is going nowhere once mounted. It also allows one the use of the irons with mount attached. The only issue I have with the Sadlak is it's a pita to remove and/or re-install and you have to ditch your stripper clip guide.
Have shot the Bassett successfully with it's easy installation and removal. I've heard a few complaints about the Bassett shooting loose, but not many. You just have to be sure the threaded receiver receptacle is dry,( no grease or lube) as are the threads for the Bassett bolt. As soon as it gets a little cooler, I'm doing a direct comparison between the 2. As I can't see irons very well anymore, whichever holds the most consistent POI will be the one I keep. I'll post the results on the forum. If the results are identical, My vote would be the Bassett. The practicality of the ability to use irons with scope mounted is questionable IMO.

·
Registered
420 Posts
what scope? the m1a/m14 action is not a gentle one, and with a receiver mount you better have a durable scope or the poi will tend to wander.
How did you come to that conclusion? The typical M14 type even without a scope or ammunition is around 10 pounds. The scope probably adds another 1.5 pounds. Some folks use heavy barrels to add additonal weight. The cartridge being fired is a .308 Winchester which doesn't recoil all that much.

My setup runs a bit over 14 pounds without any ammunition in it.

Relatively speaking, this setup is a whole lot gentler to a telescope than a the average deer rifle.

The only gotcha that I have really encountered is that the mounts generally are a bit messy and ejected cases will ding a target windage knob. I threw a couple layers of bicycle inner tube on the cover of my Leupold and now there is no problem.

- Ivan.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.