M14 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey boys, long story short....i rode the bolt home, to be quite in my tree stand. when i went to shoot...click. i racked in another round slowly and trying to be quite, did the forward assist on the bolt handle, it was in battery....click again, this went on twice more before i spooked off the deer.
went back to the camp and let the bolt slam home...fired and cycled no problems. should i have it looked at, or was the malfunction due to my riding the bolt home? thx

·
"Death From Above"
11,432 Posts
I think you answered your own question. It's not designed to be slid forward slow. It needs the momentum to cam the bolt over. If it's not completely in battery the firing pin bridge will prevent the pin from going forward. It's a good thing because if you did get it to fire and it was nit in battery all the way bad things could happen. It's not a bolt gun and shouldn't be used like one it needs to slam home.

·
Registered
40 Posts
safety is important

safety is important but i never understood why some folks wait until they get into the stand/woods/see game to load the chamber. I have been loading my firearms before heading afield for years and have not had issues?

With a bolt action, it can be done quitely without spooking game. But with any semi-auto, you should let it slam home. If you want to load in the stand, a single isolated noise isn't going to be an issue in the woods...

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
It is difficult to get the bolt to rotate COMPLETELY closed without clicking.
The last rotational movement forces the extractor up & over the case rim, and it usually requires a very firm push & loud snap.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
More info

been there done that ..lol...no deer burgers for dinner?

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U. S. ARMY VET

"All gave some but some gave ALL"

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
I think the click of the safety would make less noise than chambering a round. Might want to try that.
Yes, but did you ever notice how loud the click is when your target is in front of you? GI4

·
Registered
102 Posts
safety is important but i never understood why some folks wait until they get into the stand/woods/see game to load the chamber. I have been loading my firearms before heading afield for years and have not had issues?
Me neither. When I hunt I always chamber a round as I enter my hunting area.

Safety is important. That's why I ALWAYS KEEP THE MUZZLE IN A SAFE DIRECTION.

If a mechanical failure causes an accidental discharge, its ok, because I ALWAYS KEEP THE MUZZLE IN A SAFE DIRECTION.

If a me-stupid causes a neglegent discharge, its ok as I ALWAYS KEEP THE MUZZLE IN A SAFE DIRECTION.

If I chamber a round at my truck and my M1A fires when I let the bolt ride forward on its own it will be ok, because I ALWAYS KEEP THE MUZZLE IN A SAFE DIRECTION.

If a killer hornet stings me on my shooting arm wrist and causes my trigger finger to jerk uncontrollablly in response to the pain, and causes the rifle to fire, its ok, because I ALWAYS KEEP THE MUZZLE IN A SAFE DIRECTION.

If a flaming meteorite smashes the loud-mouthed right-side RSO, sets the wooden benches on fire and flying debris from Uranus hits the trigger, it's ok because I ALWAYS KEEP THE MUZZLE IN A SAFE DIRECTION.

So, remember the one thing that will save your ars when that "accident" happens......and ALWAYS KEEP THE MUZZLE IN A SAFE DIRECTION (but not safe for the deer of course).

Sorry about that guys.....I've been a few weeks without an Appleseed and am not my normal self. GI7

SS

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thx guys, saves me a trip to the smithie.
i had a dumba$$(my fault) discharge when i was a teen. this kinda scared me. thx again guys . going back out during the week and try again.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Me neither. When I hunt I always chamber a round as I enter my hunting area.

Safety is important. That's why I ALWAYS KEEP THE MUZZLE IN A SAFE DIRECTION.

If a mechanical failure causes an accidental discharge, its ok, because I ALWAYS KEEP THE MUZZLE IN A SAFE DIRECTION.

If a me-stupid causes a neglegent discharge, its ok as I ALWAYS KEEP THE MUZZLE IN A SAFE DIRECTION.

If I chamber a round at my truck and my M1A fires when I let the bolt ride forward on its own it will be ok, because I ALWAYS KEEP THE MUZZLE IN A SAFE DIRECTION.

If a killer hornet stings me on my shooting arm wrist and causes my trigger finger to jerk uncontrollablly in response to the pain, and causes the rifle to fire, its ok, because I ALWAYS KEEP THE MUZZLE IN A SAFE DIRECTION.

If a flaming meteorite smashes the loud-mouthed right-side RSO, sets the wooden benches on fire and flying debris from Uranus hits the trigger, it's ok because I ALWAYS KEEP THE MUZZLE IN A SAFE DIRECTION.

So, remember the one thing that will save your ars when that "accident" happens......and ALWAYS KEEP THE MUZZLE IN A SAFE DIRECTION (but not safe for the deer of course).

Sorry about that guys.....I've been a few weeks without an Appleseed and am not my normal self. GI7

SS
That's a great post!

The Four Safety Rules are designed to overlap and be redundant... so even if you have a brain fart or mistake on one rule, the other three rules in force will still prevent a bad outcome. Not saying that you should intentionally violate any of the four rules of course.

I was required to sit through the California hunter safety course to get my license here. They teach that you should always clear the chamber, basically any time you set the rifle down... clear the chamber before climbing over a fence, clear the chamber before climbing up into a tree stand, etc. The reason they teach this is that so many hunters out there are not educated in the Four Safety Rules and violate all of them constantly. There have been so many instances of hunters shooting themselves or someone else while climbing over a fence for example...

NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY.

KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL THE SIGHTS ARE ON TARGET AND YOU HAVE INTENTION TO FIRE.

Those two right there prevent anything bad from happening while crossing a fence, or climbing into a tree stand.

It all comes down to training and awareness.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If my Grandfather and Dad were still alive and saw me cross a fence with a loaded weapon, I would going to the ER to get the 12 1/2 EE's removed from my backside and my shoulder set back in place.

Gun safety is no Accident !

·
Registered
524 Posts
"I ALWAYS KEEP THE MUZZLE IN A SAFE DIRECTION"

Excellent, Excellent, Excellent. I love this and this is also my philosophy. If every other safety mechanism fails, this one wont. I once read "if a mechanical safety has ever saved your life, you were mishandling the weapon"

A friend of mine told of a story where he and his younger son went to a skeet / trap range. After shooting a round with some buddies, they all headed back to the gun rack to take a rest and visit. During the walk back, the son some how accidentally discharged his shotgun. Of course all were shocked and after the initial pucker factor, a few negative comments were made. After listening the the comments, my friend said something to this effect. " Guys, I realize that what just happened should never happen and I can understand that you are upset, but please realize for a moment that accidents do sometimes occur and please take note of the fact that my son had the muzzle pointed in a safe direction when it did. Im not trying to make excuses for him, but................ THE MUZZLE WAS POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION!!!!!!!"

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Has anyone said anything about always keeping the muzzle in a safe direction?

·
Registered
54 Posts

With a bolt action, it can be done quitely without spooking game. But with any semi-auto, you should let it slam home. If you want to load in the stand, a single isolated noise isn't going to be an issue in the woods...

thats what i do. I lock and load as soon as i'm ready to head to the stand, not when i get there

·
Registered
362 Posts
"I ALWAYS KEEP THE MUZZLE IN A SAFE DIRECTION"
I once had a guy point a bolt-action rifle at me while inspecting the gun. The gun wasn't chambered, and the bolt was completely out of the gun. I didn't care, though, so I said "Hey point that somewhere safe" .. he started to retort something about how the bolt was out, so I just pretended to fall forward and hit the muzzle good and hard and smacked the butt of the gun into him and sheepishly said "Hey, sorry man. Accidents happen."

·
Registered
623 Posts
personally

I let it slam closed,before I open the door of my truckGI6,nobody hears the noise but me.
Now the safety noise is an art of its own,that can easily be forgotten when a steak is walking by.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts