M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After consulting with my local M14 Guru, Tonyben(http://m14forum.com/users/tonyben/) about "builds", how they are conceived and brought into this world..... I decided I would share this one. Tony has always been a great mentor and teacher to this community. Hopefully what I share will be of use to some of the newer members. I encourage you to ask questions, not just of me but the entire community here. I have found them to be the most "knowledgeable brothers" that gather anywhere ... not just about the M14 platform, but life in general.
-------------
I am a retired pipefitter / welder who has more time than money. I very much enjoy the "barter" concept of commerce. I was raised by a Dad that, many times, told me "Son, do something... even if it's wrong". In following this guideline, I've made many more mistakes than the average man. I've also been blessed with a lifetime of learning experiences.
--------------
As with many of my builds, this one began with a few left over parts and an idea to build something that represents the past. I hope you enjoy this thread.

Hobo

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Physically, the build began with the parts shown below. Mentally it began when a mutual friend introduced me to the "Old Shooter". A man who competed at Camp Perry several times but can't remember exactly how many. Recently he shared with me that, due to health and age, he doubted he would ever shoot the M14 platform again. I learned that he may have a "few parts" he would be interested in selling. And, the build began.

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For many builders, they start with a receiver and continue to add parts. I had a few parts and knew that the wait list on a receiver could be very long. I contacted Jackie at LRB Arms (http://www.lrbarms.com/) and asked about how long I could expect to wait for a rear lugged receiver. She replied that the wait would be 12 months. On December 20, 2013 I was "officially" added to the waiting list. My hope was to have the build completed by the end of 2014. A year of parts gathering, bartering and purchasing was about to begin.

Hobo

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
18,128 Posts
Good luck on your project man! You are blessed to have the advice and guidance of Tonyben at your disposal. Just keep your vision and gathering parts, a year is a good amount of time. There are plenty of guys on here that will barter or trade parts, I've traded with a few, some to help me and some to help another guy. Keep us posted on updates,it will be cool to see this thread as the build comes together.
m14brian

·
Registered
8,680 Posts
Look forward to seeing them finished.

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bolt Assembly

A few days before Christmas (2013) the "Old Shooter" showed up riding his bicycle. I invited him in to warm up, share a coffee and talk about the M14. About half way through the conversation he pulls out a well worn tobacco tin container and says "You might be interested in this.. it's my last one". He knew this was a key ingredient that I would need.

·
Banned
669 Posts
Enjoy the process of collecting parts to build a fine rifle! I enjoy just acquiring a part or two at a time. Currently, I have a receiver, bolt, and soon a barrel toward my next build. I have yet to decide which stock type I will use, but it is going to be a few months before I am able to complete the rifle.

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
January 7, 2014

It was a cold, ice fog morning when a shadowy figure in a OD green filed jacket comes up to my front door. As the Old Shooter steps inside to warm up a bit..... He stiffly raises his left arm to expose the threaded end of an M14 barrel sticking out from under cuff of his sleeve.

I'm starting to figure out his routine when he comes to share a hot cup of coffee. As we sat down at my kitchen table he laid the barrel out on the table. Previously he had told me he had a NM Heavy barrel and this one, a standard weight. He went down the barrel pointing out different characteristics and how each of the different military arsenals or armory's would prepare their NM weapons. There was some history of the era when the change from standard weight to heavy weight barrels took place. He told of many specialty things different NM armorers would do to set up their particular weapons.

I do not have a military background so I was fascinated to learn of the pride and craftsmanship that the NM builders put into each rifle. Like all other forms of competition using something "mechanical", the shooter got most of the glory while the armorer got the pride of being the builder of a winning rifle.

As the conversation continued he would reach in a different pocket of the field jacket and pull out a part and give some NM history of each one. I take reference notes while he's here as well as keep a list of parts that appear. There are times when I have to raid the cookie jar at the end of his visits.

Here is what ended up on my kitchen table on that cold, foggy morning in early January 2014.

Hobo

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Drilled gas plug........

Such a pleasant read to start out the day. I see he drilled his gas plug like Hook Boutin does. Thanks for sharing, Glenn.

Tony.
----------------
The "bits and pieces" seem to come out as we have coffee. The gas plug is drilled in two steps... First a small bit and then a larger bit is used on the inside to give it a "step" bore. While he was focusing on the gas system, I was told how the old style pistons were turned down a few thousands prior to the groove piston being used. It was all about having just enough gas to make the ejection.

Thanks,

Hobo

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
Your very fortunate to have a friend such as the "Old Shooter" the rare parts are one thing, the advice , knowledge and friendship are priceless. We can learn so much from our elders. It sounds as if were about the same age so that list is getting smaller, LOL.. I do have to ask about the gas plug, Is it drilled to relieve excessive pressure ,or for some other reason? I look forward to watching your build . It's giving me another excuse to do it myself. thanks....... Between writing, interuptions ,etc & posting. you answered my question

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The trickle of parts, continued

One of the missing puzzle parts was a flash suppressor assembly. Being I'm trying to re-create a National Match rifle, the challenge is greater (and more expensive). I attempted to locate a National Match flash hider without much success. The old shooter said he still had the tools needed to modify one. I ran a WTB ad on another forum and a man in Texas sold me a flash suppressor. I have done a lot of reading, and found that there are some hider "experts" out there. Maybe one can tell me exactly what I've got here.

Thanks,

Hobo

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mislead by Numrich

I have not been able to find a pair of castle nut pliers to use on this build. There's another thread going right now dealing with nuts and pliers. I contacted Numrich about the M14 parts they supply. I was assured they were all USGI. I guess I should have been more specific about the pliers (see photo).

I'll be marking Numrich off my list of vendors.

Hobo

·
Registered
342 Posts
gotta the read the fine print. Are the USGI style? I made my castle nut pliers like Tony Bean's with small vicegrip C clamps. I added one more nut than Tony so it can't be over tightened. Plenty strong enough.

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Time marches on..........

The scavenger hunt continues. Many pieces and parts are accompanied by some sort of story or event. Of all the pieces in this photo, the oprod story is a good one. As the 2014 Superbowl began, there was some sort of delay just moments after the kick off. I walked in the computer room and refreshed the PX page and there was an oprod. Needless to say, the Superbowl could wait as I hurriedly posted the "I'll take it" and sent off a message for payment info. For me, that was a Superbowl to remember...LOL

I have not been diligent in listing where each part has come from. Several from the PX here, a few from some other WTB ads I have posted other places and the rest have come from sight sponsors or online retailers.

A sub-section of the "addiction" we discuss here is when only one particular part is needed yet the seller is wanting to sell more than one part as a package deal. As some of you know..... The "extra" parts of the package deal are really just the start of the next build....LOL

Hobo

·
Super Moderator
11,415 Posts
Nice to see the progression, Glenn! Looks like you're all ready for that receiver. It's really surprising how fast these builds come together. I got my receiver in October and didn't think I'd have many parts until the next October. Here it is, the end of February, and I'm just short a barrel and small parts!

How did that happen?!

Anyways, I can't wait for your receiver to come in. Who are you having screw the barrel on?

Tony.

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got a call from Sean at LRB this morning. Seems he has a rear lugged receiver there with my name on it. the wait was not as long as I had expected. I have not seen the Old shooter for a few months. I'm guessing he is continuing to slow down.

I decided to gather my parts and send them to LRB for the final assembly. I now must make a choice as to which stock I will want to install on the action and who will do the bedding.

To be continued.....

Hobo

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Some quotes about life and "building"..........

Nice to see the progression, Glenn! Looks like you're all ready for that receiver. It's really surprising how fast these builds come together. I got my receiver in October and didn't think I'd have many parts until the next October. Here it is, the end of February, and I'm just short a barrel and small parts!

How did that happen?!

Anyways, I can't wait for your receiver to come in. Who are you having screw the barrel on?

Tony.
-------------
Tony,

After spending a lifetime on major industrial projects, it is still amazing to me when a project "comes together"... I remember rallying my crews on some of those dark, discouraging and disappointing days and telling them "Well Guys..... We never have just shrugged our shoulders, gave up and walked away from a $5 billion project..... Have we?...... After a moment of grumbling, we went back to work and completed the project.

The two worst strategic mistakes to make are acting prematurely and letting an opportunity slip; to avoid this, the warrior treats each situation as if it were unique and never resorts to formulae, recipes or other people's opinions.
Paulo Coelho

Thanks,

Hobo

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got a call today from Lou at LRB... They are ready to complete my build and he had a few details to go over. It is so good to talk with folks who know what they are doing........

I had sent many duplicate parts and they were all inspected. Seems that some of the sights had been filed down. We went over installation of the springs I had furnished. Many of my parts came from the Old Shooter. By today's standards, the folks at LRB made some suggestions on parts that had been modified for Military National Match competition. While it may have been advantageous at the time, the modifications could take away from the reliability of the weapon. An example is the hold drilled in the gas plug. I will not be using that plug on this assembly.

A pleasant surprise was being told that my National Match rear sight assembly was a very rare item.

So, the clock continues to run. It's been about 7 months since I placed the order for the rear lug receiver. I told them to take their time on the assembly and that dependability was my #1 priority.

Thanks,

Hobo

1 - 20 of 31 Posts