M14 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,849 Posts
SAI is the only mfg of the M1A. There are a number of makers of the M14 type rifles LRB , Fulton, 7.62 and SEI. also Norinco and Poly tech. The M1A is a trademark of Springfield Armory Inc. I have no idea who they are currently having produce the M1a.

Reactions: sjstill

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
Research---The Key To...

Oh, The Hell With It...

GI5

CAVman in WYoming

Reactions: GARRARD

·
Eye Master
4,169 Posts
I'll venture a guess that the OP didn't actually mean 'M1A', as in the trademarked model of Springfield Armory, Inc, but was actually asking about commercial semi-automatic versions of the M-14.

So, that would include the seven listed by nf1e. I know there were some others in the past, like Maunz, though those are not currently being produced.

Next question: of the seven listd above, which are cast and which are forged, and which are machined out of billet (if any).

SAI is cast, LRB is forged, I don't know about the others.

·
Premium Member
20,849 Posts
7.62,Poly,Norinco forged .SEI chopped out of round stock. Fulton big question. I think it depends on the time of month.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
The original qustion is who makes them. All of the responses are correct and all are wrong.
Sounds crazy, but hear me out.
Forged recievers are hammered out by someone. I don't know who.
Cast recievers are cast by someone. I don't know who.
Either of these are machined by someone other than the forger or pourer. Add the billet machined reciever in here. Then they go to someone else for heat treat. And the last process is by someone that specializes in putting some kind of rust retarding finish on it.
I have a feeling there is just a handfull of places to get this work done, so it could be that some of the processes are done to different companies finished product at the same place, just to different specs.
So basically we have a bunch of "Sears&Roebuck" type companies having other people make these things. It would take a heck of a big outfit to be able to handle all these processes.

DISCLAIMER: This is purely speculation on my part and I have no hard facts to back any of this up. Also this a cut to chase version of what I really think. I didn't want to make a 2 page post.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll venture a guess that the OP didn't actually mean 'M1A', as in the trademarked model of Springfield Armory, Inc, but was actually asking about commercial semi-automatic versions of the M-14

So, that would include the seven listed by nf1e. I know there were some others in the past, like Maunz, though those are not currently being produced.

Next question: of the seven listd above, which are cast and which are forged, and which are machined out of billet (if any).

SAI is cast, LRB is forged, I don't know about the others.

Correct, the reason for my post is that a friend of mine was contemplating doing a build for a customer but he told me that the bolt, which was a new TRW, would not fit in the locking recess. I went over to take a look and this is what I found;

The receiver was a 7.62 forged model, sn in the 50xxx range, and the TRW bolt would not fit in the recess. In fact you could see with the naked eye that there was no way it would. However a chinese bolt fell right into place.

Quite a bit of machine work will have to be done on the receiver in order for the TRW bolt to fit. Surprisingly enough a chinese bolt fell into place but there is a .212+ difference on the lugs as opposed to the TRW bolt.

However the owner tried to fit the bolt himself and while he didn't do anything really serious, he can no longer return it for a warranty repair/replacement.

Is it common for 7.62's receivers to be this far out of spec or did one simply slip thru the cracks?

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts

However the owner tried to fit the bolt himself and while he didn't do anything really serious, he can no longer return it for a warranty repair/replacement.

Is it common for 7.62's receivers to be this far out of spec or did one simply slip thru the cracks?

Has the customer or you gotten in touch with 7.62mm?

ALL manufacturers have had this problem with bolt fit in semi auto M14's at different times. A lot of the time, all it requires is lapping, though it sounds like this one needs to go back to 7.62mm.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
7.62 has receivers numbered in the 50k range? Better look at that receiver again.

Correct, the reason for my post is that a friend of mine was contemplating doing a build for a customer but he told me that the bolt, which was a new TRW, would not fit in the locking recess. I went over to take a look and this is what I found;

The receiver was a 7.62 forged model, sn in the 50xxx range, and the TRW bolt would not fit in the recess. In fact you could see with the naked eye that there was no way it would. However a chinese bolt fell right into place.

Quite a bit of machine work will have to be done on the receiver in order for the TRW bolt to fit. Surprisingly enough a chinese bolt fell into place but there is a .212+ difference on the lugs as opposed to the TRW bolt.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have no idea if the owner has contacted 7.62, but considering what he did to the receiver prior to bringing it in he probably realizes that he voided the warranty.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
This post has taken an odd route.

Reactions: CAVman
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.