M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm a pretty new forum member here and I have several questions regarding the m1a. I've got a "loaded" model with serial 097xxx. I've shimmed the gas cylinder and added a sadlak national match op rod spring guide. Yesterday I shot my best groups ever with federal gmm. 1/2 inch 5 shot group at 100 yards off a rest. I am extremely happy and impressed with this accuracy. I've got bolt guns that will not do that. Want to thank the forum for all the info about shimming, etc. as I have learned a lot from reading on this forum.

So here's my questions:

1. What extra parts should I get?

2. How much of my rifle has usgi parts or how can I research this?

3. Is there any commercial hunting ammo that comes anywhere near the accuracy of fgmm? It is amazing how much more accurate that ammo is. The best I can manage with anything else is 1 1/4 inch with rem core lots

4. Can I reload my used brass ( with the dings in it) to get anywhere near the accuracy of fgmm. I have the equipment, but haven't tried anything yet.

Thank you all in advance

·
Registered
850 Posts
Glad things are working out.

1. GI extractor if you want, wrenches to disassemble the gas system (which you already might have since you shimmed the gas cyl), GI or CMI magazines, sling, case, bore guide for cleaning if you are going to use a rod, chamber brush.

2. I don't know. Others will chime in with some help in this area.

3. Maybe. You'd have to try them out and see what your rifle likes best. Beware that some hunting ammo can be a little too warm to shoot. It's best to stay within the design parameters of the rifle. Any reason why 1.25 inch isn't good enough for what you intend to hunt?

4. Yes. Generally, if not too severe, dings to the neck will straighten out when you size. Dings to the body of the case will flatten out on the next firing. Suggest you read all of this forum about reloading. There are a number of safety factors that must be considered in loading for this weapon. Also read Zediker, and Sierra manual about gas gun reloading.

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I just used channel locks with a rag for padding on the gas cylinder. What type or brand of chamber brush would you recommend? Oh, and 1.25 is plenty good for hunting, I already killed 2 deer with it. I was just wondering because I am so impressed by how much better fgmm is.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Well the standard is a ratcheting chamber brush. The GI one is metal and works with the GI issue segmented rod. I have a commercial chamber brush made out of plastic that is ok. I think it was like $6. Brand might have been Dewey? Got it along with the bore quide that slips over the flash hider.

Yep the FGMM is good stuff and considered the standard when comparing accuracy. But, there are lots of shooters with lots of good loads that they've developed. If you start handloading, read all you can. Compare with published data (for example, Hornady has a section of loads for the M1a.). Start low and work up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dprice - is there a chance my "loaded" version already has a reamed nm flash hider? How could I tell? Also, what is the benefit of the reamed ones?

Stg - thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
3. yes, there are many high quality hunting rds out there. Hornady SST bullets are great, and while they do not always keep same POI as a BTHP (factory, not hand rolled) they will group consistently.

·
"Death From Above"
11,887 Posts
Considering it is a SAI rifle spare parts, IMHO are not really needed. If you grab anything I would get a spare firing pin, although the failure rate is pretty low. In the past years it seems as though extractor and hammers are the most likely to fail based on failure reports on the forum. If you can manage to be without the rifle for a couple of weeks, i would not even bother with them considering every part is covered for life. Sounds like you already have a back up bolt rifle.

Sadlak makes very nice gas system maintenance tools. They sell the three drill bit style cleaning bits and the gas lock wrench. I opted for the 1/2 thick aluminum one. A nice coated dewey cleaning rod would be nice, they also sell a muzzle guide. They sell many length rods, 28 inches is the length you are looking to get if you go that route.

A tool made by a company called Chamber Maid is a pretty new twist on how to clean the chamber. It is a tee handle and has a stiff coated wire with a threaded tip on the other end. You get the chamber brush with it, but you will also want to order a few of the wool chamber mops as well. It makes cleaning the chamber a snap compared to the ratcheting gi style chamber brush. Make sure you get it the correct cal for the 14. If you are not using a cleaner that removes copper fouling like hoppes ol number nine, I would suggest getting a dedicated copper cleaner. A lot of people overlook copper fouling when cleaning there rifles. Even though I use ol # 9, if I shoot a lot of rounds say over 150, I will run a swab of hoppes elite copper terminator through the bore just follow the directions on the bottle.

If you are not running a scope you may want to pick up an inexpensive spotting scope, the first one I purchased cost me 70 bucks from Sporting goods.
Targets would be nice as well. I like to shoot at NRA targets. if you google NRA target suppliers you will find who sells them. There are a few in the country, just pick the one closest to you. If you are shooting at 100 yards get the SR-1 and 200 get the SR. I am not sure if we have them here but I know if you searched you could find a pdf of many different targets available and print them yourself.

Whatever ammo you purchase, just dont go over 175 gr bullets. I dont know if led tipped bullets are a good idea, I am sure someone else will make mention if I am wrong.

If you plan on getting anymore mags, don't waist you time getting them from Springfield, CMI makes there mags and CMI mags can be purchased at 44mag.com. Most everyone gets them from there, they are also a sight sponsor and they are much more reasonably priced compared to what SAI sells them for. On that note, I personally dont mess around with anything but CMI or USGI. Just so happens that CMI is the current supplier to uncle sam for 14 mags.

Welcome to the maddness!! Enjoy the new rifle, don't hesitate to ask any questions you have

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I am new to this weapon, but I can say they are definitely addictive. I've spent more time tinkering with this rifle in the last 6 months that I've had it than I've ever spent on any of my other guns. I've got to say that shimming the gas system was a great improvement in accuracy. I've learned a lot already from reading this forum and i want to thank all of you for your help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.