M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently saw a M1A, serial number 0005xx. I was told this wasn't a Devine, it was built before Elmers' time. It was stated it was a better rifle than a Devine, since it was built with all parts made in 1959. It was also priced near 5K. What gives here-since I always read he started at 000001? Thanks,

Charlie

·
Registered
583 Posts
I think you know the answers already but somehow his BS clung to you.

It probably was an receiver from Mr. Ballance, built up by someone else, which makes it only an early M1A rifle and not a "Devine".

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I posted this to hopefully give anyone thinking about getting a Devine, or other early M1As', to be REAL careful. I thought about telling the person what information I already have about them, but it wasn't worth me getting into a dust-up over.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Hopefully my words ( which sometimes I don't copy well) didn't offend, certainly not my intent. Our beloved rifles have become a popular one and too many are taking advantage of the popularity and spewing garbage that they know nothing about. I believe that's kinda what you were saying? You're right, better left unsaid to that vendor.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hopefully my words ( which sometimes I don't copy well) didn't offend, certainly not my intent. Our beloved rifles have become a popular one and too many are taking advantage of the popularity and spewing garbage that they know nothing about. I believe that's kinda what you were saying? You're right, better left unsaid to that vendor.
Exactly, and hopefully nobody goes on a 5K ride, because some sellers will claim absolutely anything to make a buck. IMO, this one knew all about M1A rifles, my .02. Or maybe got burned, and now trying to recoup a big loss? Thanks,

Charlie

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Built in Devine, Texas and Marked as such=Devine M1A
Built somewhere else=Not Devine M1A

Low serial number rifle built by someone else= Low serial number rifle built by someone else.....

That seller is dropping major dung. I hope you don't step in 5K worth of it.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Sounds like typical gun show BS. I've always wondered why it was so easy to find really scarce firearms at a gun show GI2

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Sounds like typical gun show BS. I've always wondered why it was so easy to find really scarce firearms at a gun show GI2
Indeed! Everyone knows if want scarce go to a gunshow. One dealers piece always has something different from the guy next to his table!

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
What gives here-since I always read he started at 000001?
L H Gun Company (Elmer Ballance's FFL as Springfield Armory, Inc. was issued by the BATF on March 23, 1972) sold M1A rifles and receivers starting at serial number 000001 in late 1971. There was a M1A receiver serial number 000000 but the details of that I'll not disclose, presently.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Maybe later.
Lee,
Have I taken the time to wish you long life and good health lately? Well I’m doing it again. Although I freely admit it’s selfish on my part. I defer to your judgement on what is and isn’t appropriate. But I confess that I look forward to the possible time when as Paul Harvey used to say “and now it’s time for the rest of the story” on this any many other tales.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts