M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a SA M1A that I purchased new back in 89 or 90 wish I could find the receipt I know I've owned it for around 30 years. Haven't shot it much I bet I haven't put 300 rounds through it. Now that I have retired I'm going to be shooting it a lot more. I have it torn down to give it a good cleaning/lube and correct some minor issues I found, the flash hider wasn't properly torqued and the front sight moves and the gas assy needs shimming.

I have a couple of questions on some numbers, the S/N is 495xx which appears to have been made in 89. It has I think a GI barrel HR 779 190 9-62 AF which I think is 9/62 mfg date, there is also a MP stamped up by the receiver. In side of the receiver in the bolt channel there is what appears to be a hand written A4? Possibly and 8 it been partly machined off. I was reading something about rifles in the S/N range being of the "golden age" I'm not sure what that means. I also read that these S/N range weapons were hand finished at the factory?

Is there a list of P/N's for op rods, bolts and the like to determine if they are GI? Been reading posts on the forum and watching you tube videos on proper maintenance and tips on improving accuracy. Looking forward to spending some time at the range!
I also have a WWII s/n M1 Garand which I had to re-barrel 35 years ago because it was splitting cases and like a dummy I didn't keep the old barrel which I'm sure was original.

I will try to attach some images of the barrel and receiver, thanks!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Yes GI HR barrel. If you post pics of the ID markings on parts you shall get them ID'd directly. It seems to be in a good serial range for GI parts but SA Inc did sub trigger groups and op rods even then. Someone else will chime in on the A4, it is an SA Inc thing.

·
Premium Member
4,458 Posts
Not every part on the M14 had a manufacturers mark, but the ones that do will be:
SA = Springfield Armory
HR (followed by another letter indicating a subcontractor, ie: HR-N or HR-T plus others) = Harrington Richardson
TRW = Thompson Ramo Wooldridge
OM-N or 66118 = Winchester
List of parts marked include:
Barrel
op rod
trigger housing
hammer
safety
Some HR gas cylinders have a code casted into them
trigger guards made by KMT ( a subcontractor) are marked
op rod spring guides made by KMT are marked
Underside of some rear sight bases made by H&R and Winchester (HR and a number, or OM and a number)
elevation and windage knobs
fiberglass stocks have a code molded into them
some GI wood stocks have makers code under the butt plate

Be aware that commercial SA parts (trigger housing, op rods) will have SA and a letter suffix. These are not GI.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies I did pull the butt plate and there wasn't any codes under there. I will check for manufactures markings as I put it back together. I did notice SA and what I assume is a print number on the hammer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts