M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to sell my M4s Fed Ord w/chicom parts and NM modified to help family and finally overcoming my loss :eek:), am back in the market for an M14 pattern rifle. Choices are:
1 - Another chicom based rifle such as Polytech or Norinco.

2 - SAI Scout squad w/FG stock.

Any thoughts, based on personal experience, as to which would be wiser choice? I shoot a LOT even at my advanced age, and am not happy w/my poodle shooter AR, and no I would not like to be shot with it. Just prefer the
M1/M14 platform.

Also, I have used the T57 mags in previous rifle w/no issues. I have noticed Keep Shooting site advertises what they claim to be current production T57's.

Any experience w/the current T57's. Would buy CMI for serious social work and use the a couple of the cheaper ones for range work.

Thanks

Don

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
M14S owners seem to be from two different camps;

1) The intelligent and diligent gunsmith type who enjoys taking something cheap and making a really good rifle out of it.

2) The guy who can't afford anything else.

I know a guy who was a 2 and eventually became a 1.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
is SAI really that bad these days?
No. Buy the Springfield and shoot it until something breaks then replace the part with one of the spares prudent shooters keep on hand for ANY of their guns. Most of us who have spare parts that we use as true spares as opposed to the "replace everything but the receiver" theorists are convinced we'll be meeting that great M14 shooter in the sky before we need to use them.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
this is the Coke or Pepsi question that never dies. there are different reasons for buying the two different types. i will say though.........that if you find your self having to ask the question at hand.......then you want a SAI.

SAI is a no-nonsense rifle right out of the box and will win out everytime IMO, unless the Chicom has been brought up to speed (with heat treating issues) or unless you plan to make a nice GI spec rifle out of it with a GI parts kit. people that buy chicom M14s mainly want the milled GI spec receiver. the main fault of the chicom is the non heat treated bolt. also......i have never been a fan of the light park finish of the chicoms as well........if that kind of thing matters to you.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Get one of each, a shooter and a project!GI2

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've had both. My first was a Fed. ord., It was ok and after a while, it got old. Now I own an SAI that has over 1,500 rds. thru it. The only problem I've had with it was the extractor. I replaced that with a Garand extractor with no problems to date. I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. Whatever you end up buying, it can be a foundation for whatever you want later.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I don't know what a Norinco or Poly cost now but when I was looking for one they were within $200.00 of buying a new SA M1A.
I went new at $1373.00.
Glad i did.

Reactions: ray55classic

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
If you lived in Canada I would say Chinese. The Chinese rifles in the US are first run with defects. I would suggest a Springfield rifle if you are in the USA.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Keep an eye out in the used market for a good SAI Scout. You can probably get one for less than current new and get some accessories with it. You can probably even score one with some GI parts for the same price range if you are patient.

·
Registered
264 Posts
There is NOTHING wrong with new production SAI M1A's. Like others have said even if something breaks you can't beat the warranty.I have an older model standard (G.I.)and a new production SOCOM 16, is there a difference? none the average shooter would notice. IMO I'D get the Scout Squad and shoot the heck out of it. You can swap out parts as you see fit to.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think most change out SAI parts for nostalgic reasons(for the most part). If they really made such a poor product they wouldn't still be in business. That said I really wish they would get the bolt roller clearance thing right.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
is SAI really that bad these days?

From what I've seen quality is at an all time low, there is absolutely no way I would buy a new M1A..... If I was dead set on a springer but couldn't afford an early model with GI parts I would look for 1 in the mid 100K range..... we refurbished 2 dozen LEO trade ins within the past year & I was really impressed with them as a whole, the receiver geometry on just about all of them was better than any current production SAI I've seen.....

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
I had that dilemma a while ago. I went with a polytech and don't regret it. I replaced the bolt with a bula forge, installed a garand hammer, trigger, also a usgi flash hider, Sadlak guide rod, swapped springs. It's currently sporting a ebr mod0 hybrid stock I did. Sans the stock I've got the same$$ into it as a standard cost. I love it. It has a life time warranty too. Provided by me off course.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.