M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just received my first M1A Standard today and I couldn't be more excited. I plan to use this rifle for everything from target shooting to hunting so I want to get an optics setup for the rifle. I would like to get you guys' opinion how I should go with it. The I'm looking at are...
Nikon Prostaff 5 3.5-14x40
Burris 4.5 x-14 x -42mm Fullfield II
Leupold VX1 3-9x40
Other than that I was looking at getting a Springfield Gen 4 mount with some Burris XTR low or medium scope rings. I am looking for a sturdy and accurate platform that mounts as low as possible while still clearing the rear sights and allowing the rifle to eject casings properly. I would like to hear your opinions and what works for you. Thank you!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would add a Vortex Viper 2.5-10 into your list. Objective size changes depending on what line you go with. Either the HS (44mm) or PST(32mm) depending on your budget.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I only have experience with the Gen 3 mount which is the same height. In a word: TALL. even with low rings you have room for a 50mm objective. It also took 2 or 3 range trips to settle in
It does allow you to use your iron sights, however. Any mount that does will be tall.
In my case I had to add a cheek riser and estimate a 2" rise. I could probably go another inch with the sinking of my cheek into the soft pad.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I tryed the Gen 4 and dumped it. Went with arms 18 but check out sadlak a lot of guys like that one. Be careful with the bolt on the side. I broke the threads on it. Twice. The gen 4 that is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why did you dump the gen 4? I've looked at the sadlak like you said however I may have to take scope ring height into account when using a 40mm+ optic right?

·
Registered
935 Posts
The Basset Low Mount will clear the rear sight but it won't allow the iron sights to be used.
For hunting, anything variable like 3-9 (or so) should be fine. I don't hunt but from what I read, deer are often shot at very short yardage.

I use medium rings with my SWFA SS 10x42 (and my Leupold ER/T 4.5-14x50) along with the Basset mount and the Bradley check pad. You will need some kind of cheek pad.

AFAIK, the brass ejects fine. I recover and reload it and I haven't seen any damage due to ejection.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Basset high mount Vortex 6.5 X 22 X 44 Mil Dot mounted on my M1a E2, iron sites, can still be used remove the mount zero on mine didn't change

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you are slinging wood, check out the triple K cheek pad. Classic. I WILL BUY ONE!
On what I was saying above, the arms mount is low. Vary low. You will need medium or high to clear the ears in the back.
I am assessing this option for my match rifle.
1-4 vortex pst MRAD.
With high or medium arms 22 rings. I don't know what will fit yet. It's close on the mediums but probably will be the high ones. I am choosing to go with the arms 22 rings becouse it is tricky to get the arms 18 mount on and I feel it will ware to much from taking the mount on and off.
This is my first M1a also so in that case it is my only child.

Also I plan on hooking it up with another vortex. The 2.5-10 above for deer hunting. Same rings for it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Two things:
1. Bassett Low Picatinny
2. Don't worry about iron sights being blocked

-While having a backup can be useful, how many hunting rifles have BUIS?
-Using iron sights under a scope is awkward, your field of view is very limited, and your cheek rest will have to be adjusted, so it's not exactly quick
-You want your scope LOW, both for keeping the cheek rest as low as possible, and because high mounted scopes look ridiculous.
-If you use a Basset, you can put your scope on and off in a matter of seconds and not lose zero. Best of all worlds.

Oh and as far as what scope you want, do loads of research, look through as many as you can in the store, figure out what reticles and features you like, decide on what your main use is and how the scope helps you with that, set a budget, pick the nicest scope you can afford, then buy the next grade higher.
Vortex, Nikon, and Leupold are all great scopes (and companies) at almost every price range, so don't worry about going wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Definitely second the Basset Low Picatinny mount!! But I went with the Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40, because of the firedot, I don't know what you hunt, but I hunt deer and they don't come out till almost dark!! You will need the firedot!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
The Vortex PST scopes have illuminated reticles that are amazing, but they (along with the VX-R) are quite a bit higher in price and quality than the VX1 and Prostaff series.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have the Basset Medium Mount with the Nikon M308 4 x 16 x 40mm and am still able to use the rear sights with the scope mounted, If I had to do over I would have bought the Low Mount. Even with the Low Mount you could mount a 50mm objective scope.

·
Registered
485 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts