M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Springfield M1A i can disassemble everything else fine but i can not get the op-rod off i have tried everything like pushing up pulling outwards wiggling it force everything so i read someone pride it with a screwdriver so i did like a dumb ass and i scratched it and that put a knot in my stomach so can anyone tell me how to get it out please help me out thanks.

Pitbull-M1A88.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was in your shoes and sweating bullets trying to get mine off a month ago - new SA NM. I tried a number of things and had the Kuleck/McKee & Duff/Miller books by my side. Go to the stickies section under the Firing Line section of the forum. The third stickie down by Sustinemus was the route I used to get mine off. It is a combination of techniques and not brute force. Those in the know here say over time and rounds downrange it gets easier. Good luck......

·
Registered
109 Posts
Try this

Okay the first pic is just to make sure you've got it in the dismount notch, be careful with the next two. My oprod has always been tough getting it out without some leverage, its from the mid 1990's and has always been tight. Some will come out with just finger pressure, some don't, if you do this carefully it wont mar any of the finish.

Take your oprod spring guide and carefully place it behind your oprod as shown in pic two, with your left hand, push up towards the rear sight while gently pushing up with the spring guide. You shouldn't have to push hard just a little and it should pop out, good luck.

·
Registered
600 Posts
if that does not work i have a trick i use but i learned it off a EX-marine, he showed me and made me do it enough times that i can take it apart and put it back to get blindfolded.

The OP-rod will come off easy, and requires NO force. If you look on the right side of the gun you will see two notches, one is a circular one and the other is a wider notch.

Hold the gun in your lap with the barrel in your left hand and place the gun with the OP rod towards the sky. The take the OP rod and move it to the rear location, then move it forward(towards battery), (you will see the back of the OP rod hit the forward notch and then gently pull the OP rod towards you, when it hits the top of the notch, lift the OP rod slightly out and away from the receiver. Then you will see room between the OP rod and the receiver, then simply rotate the OP rod towards where the magazine is located, and then it will simply pull out.

Remember to remove the spring and spring guide before trying to remove the OP-rod.

·
Registered
98 Posts
cure to a problem

I'm glad I checked this thread out. I have an M21 that I absolutely could not figure out how to get the op rod off. I've owned several M1A's in the past and never had a problem. The method of prying up off the stripper clip guide and lifting the op rod out worked like a charm. The only thing is is that it's almost as hard reassembling the gun afterwards. So much for a quick tear down for cleaning, but at least I can get it done now. GI6

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is an awesome tip. I spent an hour trying to get my op rod off prior to this with no success. My Norinco hadn't caused me any trouble, but the one on this SA was proving to be a real bear.

After following the tutorial, it literally was off in a minute. Glad too, since the bolt roller had little or no lubrication at all. A few minutes on the lathe making a roller greaser and all is well!

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Lets start out with I am very experienced in M1Garands And FNG Virgin to M1A's
Just being the Curious Type I decided to Completely Strip , Inspect, Clean , and Lube My new to me M1A. Trigger Group a Breeze Everything Else A Breeze.
The Op Rod aint Happening. I tried with what the Stickie instructed,what was said in this Thread, down to the last Detail and it does not want to come out. I am at a loss but then again I think that is a good thing it is so secure. I will take it to a friend an Old Marine let him show me how

·
Registered
2 Posts
you have to remove the spring, pull back on the op rod and up a little at the same time until you feel it hit the notch!

make sure you get it released from the receiver ( should only come out of the groove) one you get this done, pull it back out of the guide!

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
you have to remove the spring, pull back on the op rod and up a little at the same time until you feel it hit the notch!

make sure you get it released from the receiver ( should only come out of the groove) one you get this done, pull it back out of the guide!
Yesssss The Spring was removed as I was using the spring guide for a little leverage

1 - 11 of 11 Posts