M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to the forums. I have found a lot of info from this site so after a time I figured I should probably register.

With that being said.. I am having an issue with my rifle holding a zero after a each trip to the range or varmit shoot. I can get it to zero and even hold sub moa with ease, but as soon as I come back to the range again it is off zero vertically and horizontally. I have checked to make sure the scope mount and rings are tight and installed correctly numerous times, and I shoot my own hand-loads. Rifle has roughly 400 rounds through it. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated, as I am no expert on the matter, the only thing I can think of is maybe the aluminum scope mount is being affected by change in temperature? I take very good care of my rifle, it does not bounce around on the floor boards of my vehicle. I carry and store it in a padded rifle-case when its not being used and it is cleaned after every shoot.

Rifle Specs - Standard Springfield Armory M1A, Springfield Armory 4th gen aluminum scope mount, Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 scope + rings, Sage International EBR Chassis Stock.

Load Specs - 175gr Sierra BTH, 44.5gr Varget, WLR primers, assorted military brass.

5,445 Posts
Are you using Leupold's pressure gauged ring scope tool to ensure your rings are properly seated?

I forget the precise name of the tool but it worked wonders for seating my Leupold scope properly.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
I hate to be negative but that is what my rifle did when my leupold went south. Shoot it with irons at 50 yards to see if it does the same thing.

Also 44.5 varget in mil brass with a 175smk is on the hot side unless you have a really slow lot of varget.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hate to be negative but that is what my rifle did when my leupold went south. Shoot it with irons at 50 yards to see if it does the same thing.

Also 44.5 varget in mil brass with a 175smk is on the hot side unless you have a really slow lot of varget.
How long did you have your scope before it went bad? I bought mine only a few months ago.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I use a Leupold VX-2 6-18 with a Basset mount. Take it off and on with no loss of zero. If something was wrong with the mounting why would it retain zero after many recoils?
How do you case and transport the rifle?
Also, hope you are using a Schuster.

·
Registered
83 Posts
"Load Specs - 175gr Sierra BTH, 44.5gr Varget, WLR primers, assorted military brass.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think that is an awfully hot load, checking for signs of over pressure? I wonder if the high pressure is beating on your rifle. But that shouldn't explain why it loses zero after leaving the range....

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
How long did you have your scope before it went bad? I bought mine only a few months ago.
My mk4 died after 6 months and maybe 600 rounds.

How long has it been doing this? Did it work before and now it doesn't? Or has it always 'not worked'? Because one means something has come loose or broken while the other means something is not installed correctly.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
"Load Specs - 175gr Sierra BTH, 44.5gr Varget, WLR primers, assorted military brass.
Yeah, I think that is an awfully hot load, checking for signs of over pressure? I wonder if the high pressure is beating on your rifle. But that shouldn't explain why it loses zero after leaving the range....[/QUOTE]

Having to constantly re-zero your riflescope is usually a sign that the scope is done.

·
Registered
All gun laws are unconstitutional
6,829 Posts
I have no use for Varget in a M14 as it will wreck your rifle, Probably is the reason your having problems right now. Switch to 4895 or 4064 with 168 gr SMK's.
Or buy some Federal gold medal match ammo, then retry.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
in my experience the failure spot is the mount itself. unless those things are welded to the damn receiver the can and will move on you. This may not be the case but i know how frustrating it is to have an M1A not stay true. The sage mount though should be a solid mount. I would get the stripper clip mount for it instead of going with a side mounted scope mount. Just my .02 cents.

Reactions: Mad Trapper

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
"Varget in a M14 as it will wreck your rifle,"

I guess I better sell all of mine quick before the buyers notice how abused they are. Well, hold on - I have another keg I gotta use up first. Hope the rifles survive that.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
The 'do not clean' between range days is the first thing to try.
After shooting, just dry-patch the barrel and chamber to remove loose fouling.

It is common for the first several shots from a 'cleaned barrel' to be 'off zero'.

In your tests - how much elev and windage change is there from different days zeroing?

Is the buttstock / cheekrest sturdy enough so it doesn't flex depending on how you hold it?
Different pressures will change the poi.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
373 Posts
I am using the Springfield Gen 4 aluminum mount and it is fine. I did however use blue loctite on the screws. First shot after cleaning was high after that no problems. I could have made the shot high why blame the gun.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"Load Specs - 175gr Sierra BTH, 44.5gr Varget, WLR primers, assorted military brass.
Yeah, I think that is an awfully hot load, checking for signs of over pressure? I wonder if the high pressure is beating on your rifle. But that shouldn't explain why it loses zero after leaving the range....[/QUOTE]

Max load for that round is 45gr, Should I cut it back further? No signs of wear on the brass or the rifle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am using the Springfield Gen 4 aluminum mount and it is fine. I did however use blue loctite on the screws. First shot after cleaning was high after that no problems. I could have made the shot high why blame the gun.
Okay good to know, After first having the issue I removed and re-installed the mount and used loctite as well. Still losing zero tho :(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts