M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning, I'm getting ready to purchase a M1A and I'm not familiar with this gun at all. From doing a little research on it I'm ASSUMING its an M1A Super Match. The stock is huge! and the gun weighs a Ton! My main concern is the rear lug it appears to have weld marks. From what I understand the factory welded the rear lugs onto the gun but I would assume once again that the marks would not show or would be below the wood level, unless once its bedded it raises the reciever up slightly. I have also read that may people had the guns "Made" and rear lugs installed after purchase by a gunsmith. Anyhow ANY help would be appreciated before I make a mistake and buy a butchered firearm. If the gun is normal I think I'm stealing it for the price hes wanting. I'm posting a few pictures of it. Oh it has a Springfield Gen 1 4X14 56mm scope on it.

·
Registered
13,079 Posts
You can call Springfield Armory customer service and give them the serial number, they can tell you how the receiver left the factory.

I've see better examples of welding. You can also look at the operating rod guide to see if that was welded on as well.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Not sure about the Super Match, but my Standard does not have any weld marks there. Not sure why welding is needed there, unless the rear of the receiver has been cracked. Can you pull the action off the stock and see what's been done underneath? The flash hider has been exchanged for one with a bayonet stud, unless this is a pre-ban gun.

I wouldn't buy it for the ugly-ass recoil pad on it. Who needs a recoil pad on one of these anyway?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hobo, he is asking 1499.00 including scope. Is that reasonable? No idea on any of the other information. Its at a local pawn shop I buy guns from so I'd guess nobody but the original pawner knows the history.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cockedNlocked, recoil pad is just a slip on rubber cover it easily pulls off. I'm not familiar with the m1a but underneath the slip on rubber it had a steel butt plate that folds up to reveal what appears to be cleaning tool compartments.

·
Registered
534 Posts
That is 99.9% a lugging job done to a standard receiver after it left the factory. You can still see the heat pattern from the weld, which is not present on my two, and, due to the heat pattern, I know that the receiver was probably not parkerized after the lug job, something SA Inc. would not do. My lugs are 99.9% invisible on the assembled rifle. SA Inc. would have done the welding and work pre-heat treat, then heat treated and parkerized it like any other receiver. The weld would have nearly been invisible and certainly without the heat pattern.

Danny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
534 Posts
The weld is not ground and finished to the standards at SA Inc., as well. It LOOKS like weld. My lugs largely look like the lug was an integral part of the receiver due to the hand finishing done to the weld.

Danny

·
Registered
534 Posts
You raised the question about the location of the lug welding on a factory job. The welding is in the same place as in your picture, it is, as I mention sbove, finished more by hand on the factory lug and less obvious, or more invisible.

Danny

·
Super Moderator
11,174 Posts
Yes it was lugged after it left SAI, how well the work was done would require removing it from the stock for a good visual inspection. Is there a bolt/screwhead showing in the mag well?

SAI first Gen scopes although old are still very good, I had one for many years. There first gen scope mount blow chunks. Provided the lugging is good $1499 with glass is a good deal if the rest of the rifle has high USGI parts count.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Scope and mount are not worth much. Also if it was used as a match rifle barrel may have a lot of wear. I would pass on this one.
I would think that the barrel, or at least the balance of the rifle has seen significant use, based on the worn smooth, thin grey parkerizing. My Supermatch has over 2000 rounds on it, and aside from the normal metal to metal high wear marks, the parkerizing is "as new" on any new SA Inc. M1A.

Danny

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes I agree it probably has seen its share of shooting, I don't think anyone would spend that much money on a gun and add a rear lug and scope and not shoot it. I'm guessing from the bayonet lug that its Preban / Pre 94. So being over 20 years old I'm sure if used on a regular basis it has seen its share of bullets down the range. In any case I'm leaning towards letting this one go just alot of variables that I know almost nothing about. I've seen the scope listed on ebay for 500.00 used so figured I'd be pretty much getting the M1A for under a grand which I originally thought was a steal! As much as I'd like to talk myself into it, its still alot of money if the gun has issues.

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,606 Posts
You can call Springfield Armory customer service and give them the serial number, they can tell you how the receiver left the factory.

I've see better examples of welding. You can also look at the operating rod guide to see if that was welded on as well.
The Customer service number is: 1 (800) 680-6866

DI5

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I would ask the gun shop to allow me to break the rifle down. The GI parts count that could be in the rifle, usually make it worth the money they are asking. Average estimates for parts would be, Gi trigger group 250, Gi oprod 150, used GI bolt complete 250, match sights 150, gas system probably unitized 150, flashhider 50, Springfield Armory 1st generation scope and mount 400 Easy. Then you still have the receiver the barrel and the stock. There is a chance that everything would be in good condition. These are estimated numbers a true value cannot be given without the item being handled. But it should give you a rough idea.GI2

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
sometimes older is better

First let me welcome you from Texas, David as I see the OP was your 1st post. I say this not to influence your decision on this particular rifle , but merely to add to your knowledge when purchasing one . The serial #'s from around #40,000 up to around #100,000 [roughly 1986 to 1996] have been called the "Golden Age" of Springfield Armory , due to the high USGI parts content, fitting the parts instead of merely assembling them and the high quality receiver . With the combination of Mel Smith finishing the receivers , and the influence of Glen Nelson doing the barrel accuracy work and in charge of the match rifle shop , they made an impressive rifle . The rifles under serial # 100,000 were what built SAI's reputation. I wouldn't discount a rifle made 20 to 30 years ago , I prefer them.... I also agree with Phil, the SA scopes are very good scopes , I certainly wouldn't discount them either. As far as the 1st gen mount , they make an excellent trot line weight [Just my theory but I suspect this rifle was not campaigned very long, that mount went out of fashion when the Brookfield and the 2nd gen came out about 25 years ago , any serious shooter would have dumped that dated mount years ago, I imagine the orig Owner passed or got old & the rifle was put up in a closet, until the OO died ,then his heirs pawned it for some fast cash. Judging by the looks of the rifle that's just my theory & I'm sticking to it. ]. Nice M1a's 4 sale are like street cars , another one will come by, if you decide to let this one pass. Great ones come up on this site every week.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.