M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,
Seen a few notes out there on M1A rifle misfire. Went shooting yesterday with new rifle, magtech 7.62x51 rounds and has a few misfired rounds. Did not clean the chamber or bore prior, s that the reason?

Tim

·
Registered
7,059 Posts
That could very well be your issue.

Or the mag tech ammo.
It’s not going all the way into battery because somethings too tight. Dirty chamber or ammo slightly oversized.

One or the other.

Or it just needs another 900 rounds to break in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Misfire or mis-fed? Like you chambered a round and click - no boom? Did a round not chamber? Dented primer from the firing pin?

I recently had several Magtech 300 blackout misfires in an ar-15 - click, no boom. Primers dented, no boom. Installed a heavier hammer spring, still waiting to test again.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Are these new ammo or reloaded? How did the primers look? If the cartridge is able to chamber and close, then I don't see any reason it will not go off if the firing pin potrusion is in spec. New rifle - so I would suspect all is within specs.

It is interesting to find out what is causing the misfires. This needs to be addressed quickly - you don't want a rifle that is useless in inventory.

Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All new ammo. Did have 2 hang-fires and about 3 misfired. I did clean chamber after the fact and will see what happens in the next few days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cleaned the weapon, tried two different ammo brands. Still about 1 of 8 rounds does not fire. Only 2 hang fires in 70 rds but quite a few more misfired. The misfired have a faint primer strike but not enough to detonate the primer. Will call Springfield on Monday.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Howdy,
Seen a few notes out there on M1A rifle misfire. Went shooting yesterday with new rifle, magtech 7.62x51 rounds and has a few misfired rounds. Did not clean the chamber or bore prior, s that the reason?

Tim
I only shoot reloads. Examine primer! Are primers struck hard but not igniting? Then crappy ammo!!!!! If not struck hard, you may have weak hammer spring. Dirty chambers may cushion brass so that inertia is drain off, but I highly suspect weak spring. I shoot CCI primers and they are supposedly very hard. Some M1/M1A owners file off spring coils in order to reduce trigger pull but that didn't work well with my CCI primers. I had to reinstall new springs. However, with CCI, I don't have to worry about slam fires as much as other do.

·
Registered
10,495 Posts
When a round chambers, see if the bolt is fully locked. You can do this by pushing down on the right lug or pushing forward on the oprod.

Pick up a box of Federal 168 OTM, with a picture of an M1A Socom on it. See if that has any misfires.

·
Registered
6,916 Posts
I often wonder what folks mean when they say misfire. While its in common usage, seems like there should be a better more exact way to state the issue. Misfire technically means a partial or late fire, like a bad plug in a motor, but it still fired.
Misfire in a firearm would seem to indicate a hang fire more than not going off at all, which to my mind is a dud or failure to ignite, which could be for any number of reasons as above.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I've had a few primers fail to ignite, but in over 30 years of shooting centerfire ammo, I've never experienced a hangfire.

As has already been asked a couple times, is the bolt going fully into battery? If it's not, then you really don't want a primer to ignite.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I only shoot reloads. Examine primer! Are primers struck hard but not igniting? Then crappy ammo!!!!! If not struck hard, you may have weak hammer spring. Dirty chambers may cushion brass so that inertia is drain off, but I highly suspect weak spring. I shoot CCI primers and they are supposedly very hard. Some M1/M1A owners file off spring coils in order to reduce trigger pull but that didn't work well with my CCI primers. I had to reinstall new springs. However, with CCI, I don't have to worry about slam fires as much as other do.

Brand new firearm. About month old.

·
Registered
10,495 Posts
Ejecting to right and a little forward. Correct, gas cylinder not touched.
Then I would run a box of the Federal M1A ammo thru it. It is specifically designed for the rifle. If it misfires, there is definitely a rifle issue.

·
Registered
6,916 Posts
I've had a few primers fail to ignite, but in over 30 years of shooting centerfire ammo, I've never experienced a hangfire.

As has already been asked a couple times, is the bolt going fully into battery? If it's not, then you really don't want a primer to ignite.
I have had more hangfires than any other kind of "misfire". Cool primers and ball powder is the usual culprit. Especially during cooler months.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Cleaned the weapon, tried two different ammo brands. Still about 1 of 8 rounds does not fire. Only 2 hang fires in 70 rds but quite a few more misfired. The misfired have a faint primer strike but not enough to detonate the primer. Will call Springfield on Monday.
Something is awefully wrong w/ that bolt and/or firing pin both. Maybe some debris is preventing the firing pin from moving completely forward...or the firing pin itself is out of specs.. maybe too short. Or the bolt has something inside it.

I would check that bolt -

I would also check the headspace w/ that bolt -

1 - 20 of 20 Posts