M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had a New M1a loaded variant sense like nov of 2019 and only shot it I’d say like 3-4 times and from the box it never cycled right every time. The problem I’ve come to see that’s happening is that the bullet isn’t going all the way in the chamber and not letting the bold fully lock into place but it’s not all of the bullets, it’s like 1 out of every 4 that it does that and I’ve shot some cheap PPU ammo along with some lake city and it still does the same thing.
I just really want to know if it’s a possible defect in the headspace or something like that or the ammunition or whatever because I know the rifle is more reliable than that

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
You can check operating rod spring, see if it's at least 15 inches long.

Also, maybe pull out the string and the spring guide, put it back in the action, and see if it moves freely by tilting rifle back and forth.

Could also be related to magazine, in terms of if it's losing a lot of energy trying to strip the round. I'm reaching here, I'm really not the guy to give pointers, but somebody will surely be along later. But, until then, something to play with.

·
Premium Member
15,414 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

You might try a good chamber scrubbing with a USGI chamber brush and the gun cleaning solvent you are using. Patch clean and try again.
Agreed, it could be caused by short headspace. More common is a rifle that has not been cleaned and lubed per recommendations.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Since you say "loaded" and then "variant" I'm left a little confused. If it's a "Match" chamber then ammunition could be a factor, saying PPU alone, means nothing, but "Match" would! Same as saying "LC", is it Match, or "Ball". By the same token as already mentioned, insure your Op Rod and Gas Piston move freely.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Did you field strip, clean and properly lube it prior to the range session? They are not clean or properly lubed right out of the box.

It's your rifle. You have to take care of it properly if you want it to function properly. If you don't know how to field strip it, clean it, lube it there are lots of threads on the forum as well as access to PDF formatted military field/training manuals.

Springfield Armory also has a warranty on their rifles. If cleaning/lubing doesn't fix it you can contact Springfield Armory and get a return authorization e-mailed to you to send the rifle back for repair work (if it needs repairs.)

Reactions: stoky

·
Registered
10,689 Posts
When chambering a round, be sure to pull the operating rod all the way to the rear and let go. Never ride the operating rod forward. Without the full force of the spring, the bolt may not completely close.

As mentioned above, clean the chamber. Even a little bit of factory grease in there will keep some cartridges from fully chambering.

Try factory commercial ammunition, such as Federal 168 OTM. It has M1A on the headstamp and a picture of a Socom on the box. You have a tight match chamber. Some surplus military ammunition may be too large to properly chamber. PPU has been known to have issues.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Something that gets missed a lot is, don’t fully load your magazines. If it is a 20 rounder, down load it to 17 or 18. You shouldn’t have to, but it will decrease your malfunctions dramatically. The last thing you want is a hang up when you are putting the rifle into battery in a pinch.

Also, take care not to let your hand touch or pinch the operating rod as the gun cycles as that will suck a lot of power out of the action and will cause it to fail to go into battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,000 Posts
Try some new Federal OTM M1A loads. These are cartridges,, not "bullets", and made for the M1A. If these wont properly lock the "bolt", then a trip to SAI may be in order.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts