M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the rule for bullet weight in M1As is to stay less than 175. The M118LR is 173, but does anyone know if it is good for the M1A?

I know that the M24 bolt action is in use, but is the M118LR you can get from the CMP a "bolt action only round" or safe to use in a M1A without beating the heck out of it.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
M118 is the 173gr FMJBT which works fine in the M14
M118LR is the Sierra 175gr HPBT, which is also fine.

Most folks who shoot competitively shoot the 175 on the long line because it bucks the wind better, but shoot a lighter bullet (168 or 155) on the short line (300yds or less) where the wind doesn't really matter. The 175 is obviously going to be a little rougher on the gun than a 168 or 155.

Ty

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Kevin,

I agree with Ty... 175 work but may be a bit more harder on your gas gun.

I use M118LR and after 2 cases of this ammo, I really like it! This ammo has taken over for me as my "benchmark" ammo. It used to be Fed GMM but it's a bit too pricey so I have stayed with the M118LR. Benchmark meaning that I use this bullet in many of my rifles that I am working on to validate accuracy.

For the price, it has been excellent ammo for me.

Good Luck!

Aloha,

Tom O.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.