M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
M1A Loaded in 6.5 Creedmoor
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an m1a loaded, it came in an arch angle stock, and when I got it I have to say I was blown away by its accuracy.

I put a scope on it (Leopold) developed a load for it, and I was shooting nickles at 100 yards regularly. I was very pleased, I have engaged 12 inch steel plates out to 1200 yards.

The rifle started to have cycling issues, shot fine very accurately, but would not always eject the spent round. I decided to clean the firearm. While it was apart I put a new trigger in it, an the adjustable shoot sight unit.

When I put it back together suddenly i noticed I was getting a lot of horizontal stringing, 6" worth of horizontal stringing. Hardly any vertical stringing, oh and the rifle still did not cycle properly.

My dad shot it, then I shot again, same issue. I figured the issue was in the scope. I checked the mount, it is tight. I had another scope, an arken, I swapped it on and while the stringing is not nearly as bad, it is still not what the rifle was shooting before.

Then I noticed something, the rifle could twist... or torque if you would in the stock. I have shot an m1 for years, but do not pretend to be an expert on m1a's, I am more than a little befuddled.

A. Could the stock cause the cycling issue
B. Has anyone else had this issue with this stock

The rifle past the tilt test, I don't see rub marks on the stock where it twisting in the stock would cause it not to cycle. So I am just not sure.

·
Premium Member
18,156 Posts
Look for fitment in the area of the front band/ferule contact area. That type stock is known for being soft and flexible and creating horizontal stringing as a result of it's flexing. May look similar to a JAE chassis but it is a poor copy.

·
Registered
114 Posts
make sure the gas spindle is in the open position ( its happened to me before ) and the spring is strong.
also look carefully at where the hot gasses exit out the bottom of the gas cylinder thru the stock as early archangel stocks didnt handle the heat as well as the newer versions.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
make sure the gas spindle is in the open position ( its happened to me before ) and the spring is strong.
also look carefully at where the hot gasses exit out the bottom of the gas cylinder thru the stock as early archangel stocks didn't handle the heat as well as the newer versions.
I thought about that, the gas spindle is on, the rifle only has 700 rounds through it, and was bought new last year, I will have someone watch the bottom and see what it looks like

Look for fitment in the area of the front band/ferule contact area. That type stock is known for being soft and flexible and creating horizontal stringing as a result of it's flexing. May look similar to a JAE chassis but it is a poor copy.

What is weird is that for 600 rounds I did not have an issue. It like it just went bad.

The front band fits tight. At least per my frame of reference.

·
Premium Member
18,156 Posts
I thought about that, the gas spindle is on, the rifle only has 700 rounds through it, and was bought new last year, I will have someone watch the bottom and see what it looks like

What is weird is that for 600 rounds I did not have an issue. It like it just went bad.

The front band fits tight. At least per my frame of reference.
Keep bending a piece of rubber and over time it tends to get more flexible. I have an archangel on one of my Mosins and it works fine. I really believe that they were made to resemble a real chassis and fool folks into thinking they are something that they are not.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Keep bending a piece of rubber and over time it tends to get more flexible. I have an archangel on one of my Mosins and it works fine. I really believe that they were made to resemble a real chassis and fool folks into thinking they are something that they are not.
It was the stock that came on the rifle. i liked it a lot until about 12 hours ago lol

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Personally, I'd tackle the function problems first and worry about the accuracy after that. Since the issues came on after it had been working well, makes me suspect that something came lose or had unusual accelerated wear. I'd start with the gas system front to back looking for correct position of the gas cylinder, free movement of the piston, make sure the op rod guide it secure and properly pinned. Op rod end should be reasonably well aligned with the piston. Check the op rod tab for damage. Check the op rod cam surfaces. Check the bolt roller for free rotation. Look for unusual wear on the bolt (vs normal wear). In particular, check the nose of the hammer and the mating cam surface on the tail of the bolt for galling or damage. Make sure there isn't any spring binding on the op rod spring and spring guide. Double check the stock for ANY spot that might be making contact with the moving parts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
personally I would love to put it in a chassis but can't find a JAE, and have no clue about the sage chassis.

I have a long range shoot this weekend, so I may try jerry rigging something to get some tension out of this wet pool noodle.

the slots up the sides look like perfect receptacles for some flat pieces of steel.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Only repeating what I've been told by those with more experience...

The front of the stocks do not come with a ferule or any other method to ensure consistent contact and repositioning after the shot to ensure consistent draw pressure, either in degree or direction. It also makes the front ferule more prone to wear if there is movement, and there should be movement, in that it should help control barrel whip, but also allow it.

I know that the one JD at Wolfe Firearms did some work on had a bearing installed to serve as the contact point, and he had to mill out the inside around the gas cylinder to let the cylinder itself float inside the stock, aside from the contact on the lip of that plate thingie that otherwise would contact the ferule area. He has said that they can be made to shoot well, but that it most often takes some work. I haven't taken her out to the range yet to see how she does, but he sure did clean up a lot of slop and binding in the front end.

It may be that the front wore in, or when you took it out of the stock, and put it back in, because it doesn't have the ferule and/or clearance, that it's not like it was.

While I don't dislike them to the degree that many do, I also think it is important to understand that it is a relatively cheap plastic stock, not a chassis, the QC in general is pretty poor in general, they are mass produced as fast as they can inject the mold and make room for the next one (two out of 3 I have come across were actually warped in the back, I speculate because of insufficient cooling time) there were some significant corners cut (like not having a ferule), and it is not the most direct route, generally speaking, to go for a consistently accurate rifle.

I like the one I have, but it's also selected as an homage to a cartoon character, so that might tell you about my sensibilities. :p

personally I would love to put it in a chassis but can't find a JAE, and have no clue about the sage chassis.

I have a long range shoot this weekend, so I may try jerry rigging something to get some tension out of this wet pool noodle.

the slots up the sides look like perfect receptacles for some flat pieces of steel.
I've never heard of anybody challenging a JAE as the optimal platform in which to mount an M14 type, though since they're not being made currently, unless you can find a used one...

Maybe add to your list a Blackfeather chassis, if you're more inclined to keep it lighter than a JAE or SAGE, or if you're not necessarily attached to a modernized look, get it bedded into a McMillan or even a fat walnut or birch by somebody versed in both bedding but also tuning the whole rifle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone on your help so far.
Bad news no one makes JAE right now, I know sore subject for everyone.

Good news, I sent promag a list of what is happening and they are sending me a new stock. Might not be ideal, BUT they stood by their product and did not question me about it.

It gives me a while of shooting to look for a more long term solution.

·
Premium Member
18,156 Posts
Glad you have a solution at hand. While you had it apart, did you clean the gas cylinder and piston? Did you check for gas port alignment?

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Thank you everyone on your help so far.
Bad news no one makes JAE right now, I know sore subject for everyone.

Good news, I sent promag a list of what is happening and they are sending me a new stock. Might not be ideal, BUT they stood by their product and did not question me about it.

It gives me a while of shooting to look for a more long term solution.
Interesting that they did that . I find it odd that from the factory it shot so well , then after disassembly it went bad .Might show there is a production run issue & may be heat . As far as the cycling issue , that may be something else entirely as said above .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad you have a solution at hand. While you had it apart, did you clean the gas cylinder and piston? Did you check for gas port alignment?
I am diving into that now. Gas cylinder and piston are clean, I will check port alignment.

Interesting that they did that . I find it odd that from the factory it shot so well , then after disassembly it went bad .Might show there is a production run issue & may be heat . As far as the cycling issue , that may be something else entirely as said above .
You know they are a reputable company, and the stock is not cheap... well compared to a sage or a jae it is brown paperbag territory, but I was thinking twice about pulling the trigger on it.

you have know idea how hard I was hitting my head against the wall on this one. I used to piss off the old man with his bolt gun all the time. Fingers crossed, fingers crossed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts