M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the proper place for this but i recently bought an m1a and its workings Nd finish are flawless exept for wiggle in the op rod, quite a bit more than im comfortable with, is this normal or a defect in somthing? The rifle is new and shows no sign of internal wear my only two therorys on whats causing it is the bolt roller being to small, which i doubt and really hope not or the op rod being a bit mal-formed scince the op rod rides on the track independently from the roller in a groove anyway i would imagine it would be the problem, so what should i do should i buy a gi op rod or is there somthing im missing or is this normal any suggestions or part recomendations?? I dont want to have to send it in and kind of want a gi part in the gun anyway but i dont want to waste my money if it wont fix also scince the rifle appears to function and nothings broken i doubt springfield would fix anyway

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Normal. They all usually have a certain amount of play in them, just the nature of the beast.

If the op rod can be pulled out of the track without being at the dismount notch, then it's time to worry.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
There's another shooter reporting similar problems. Basically, if the receiver's mill cuts are in spec and the op rod is straight and has a good tab (that rides in the receiver's channel), you're good to go. It won't jump loose.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
18,128 Posts
It also varies significantly from rifle to rifle. My Socom II seems pretty loose, My Scout has some play in it but my "Loaded" and Standard aren't too bad.
m14brian

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
If the op rod is staying in its track and is giving you no other issues... Shoot it and forget about it. I'd worry far more about that cast ejector that's waiting to bite you in the butt at the most inconvenient time. If you want something to keep you up nights, now you have it. But it's a cheap easy fix...

7th

·
Registered
847 Posts
If the op rod is staying in its track and is giving you no other issues... Shoot it and forget about it. I'd worry far more about that cast ejector that's waiting to bite you in the butt at the most inconvenient time. If you want something to keep you up nights, now you have it. But it's a cheap easy fix...

7th
Awwww Geeez.........( "Hello, parts guy? Add an ejector to that order!")

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well i test fired the rifle today about 20 times no issues or anything unusual, and the ejector could become an issue hopfuly not because ill go from ejector to wanting a new bolt and op rod XD well i may get an op rod anyway i suspect the op rod tab being a hair bit small bing the issue as for the wobble is uniform throughout the track, but ill stick with it for now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.