M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read where cleaning the gas piston and plug with the appropriate size drill bits was something that should be done every so often. After I cleaned mine I found that accuracy was severely degraded. Was wondering if anyone else has heard of this. Meanwhile I'm shooting lots of cheap ammo to try and dirty it up again. This is my first post and I hope it is in the correct place.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Did you tighten (over-tighten) the gas plug? Is cleaning the gas plug ALL that you did? Remove action from stock? Remove FH? Relubed?

Reactions: racer

·
Registered
27 Posts
Did you remove gas cylinder? You do not need to. Just remove plug and tip piston out, clean and replace. Make sure you tighten plug the same each time. I have a witness mark of nail polish and use a torque wrench.

·
Registered
661 Posts
My gas plug(usgi) uses the same bit as the piston. Not sure why but it does. And my accuracy is the same as before when I clean but that's only when I'm bored.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I recently read where cleaning the gas piston and plug with the appropriate size drill bits was something that should be done every so often. After I cleaned mine I found that accuracy was severely degraded. Was wondering if anyone else has heard of this. Meanwhile I'm shooting lots of cheap ammo to try and dirty it up again. This is my first post and I hope it is in the correct place.
Why would you want to "hurry up" and make something "dirty" you just cleaned??? The way you describe this...it would be a never ending cycle.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Why would you want to "hurry up" and make something "dirty" you just cleaned??? The way you describe this...it would be a never ending cycle.
I'm no expert but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express:
A few (7-10) rounds after cleaning puts a lite coat of carbon soot back into the gas system so the gas piston isn't riding completely in clean metal. Accuracy is the product of repeatability (consistency), the lite carbon coat is closer to what you'll be shooting with rounds 10-500 than the first few rounds riding on the clean metal. If you were counting/adjusting/compensating using the first several rounds in a clean gun it might screw with you on rounds 7-700. The first several rounds are used like "breaking in" a new gun.

PS - http://m14forum.com/m14/165528-self-loosening-gas-plug.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts