1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
Found this for sale on Gunbroker. I live close to King of Prussia but I'm sure I have no funds for this. Is this conversiion legitimate? How about the shop that converted it?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=268347724

Full auto with papers.
I think it's 'legit', in the sense that it's a Pre-'86 Ban Conversion...
It's 'papered'...and they will only Transfer it per the NFA.
It's likely to have an auction 'reserve' considerably higher than the current bid.
Hardtimes Armory did a whole bunch of conversions back then...of many different guns...my belief is that they were not known for 'works of art', but relatively cheap and not 'pretty' conversions...Pre-Ban!
I personally would want to closely examine it before spending big bucks on it...

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
King's is a very reputable shop, with good reviews on some of the PA Forums for sales and services to the local gentry. Looks like he is offering this rifle for sale as a consignment piece, so proper diligence should be performed by any potential buyer.

·
Registered
823 Posts
So that's a cast receiver?

I was not impressed with our former AC556K's we had years back. While we didn't have the problem because of low round count through them, I heard the receivers didn't hold up well.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Passed on buying Ruger AC556K couple years ago and went another direction, but
Class 3 dealer felt that they were a good buy at something in the range of $5,000 plus.
One of the things he pointed out is that Ruger will repair the firearm free of charge unless obviously abused over it's lifetime. The price was a stretch for me without selling off some others and elected to forego the machine gun program. Figured I would spend all my time with the Dillon trying to keep it fed.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Above the selector switch, the receiver is discolored from heat; the welding of the selector lug unto the receiver is the most likely cause of this coloration. It appears that the receiver was welded on and not annealed or reheat treated. Not sure I would want to pay a whole bunch of money for an improper welded lug. The receiver will have to be distorted from the welding and heat, the welding on case hardened steel will also probably crack around the weld in the heat affected zone.
Tell me I am wrong on this.
If I was to own a FA M1A/M14 I would want one that was properly manufactured, not something welded on.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.