M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This was my final sight in on my first M1A. I purchased this new back in Aug 2011. After months I finally had her all setup and ready for scope sight in.

I still really loved the irons- but time to start going the distance.

Anyway- I used a few different types of rounds.

Warmups Cheap 150 Gr Russian stuff.. yuk- (sorry girl)

Fine tuning 168gr. HPBT PPU Match cheap stuff...

Ready to on the zero-

American Eagle 168 OTM (made for M1A)

This was a fun slow 3 hour run. Target was 100 yards out. Wind died down at the very end to nothing- Time was 5 pm - and temp was about 61.

My point of aim was at the very bottom of the diamond. 6 o'clock. Grouping was 4 shots.. my second was a flier that i pulled (about an inch down) then 3 and 4 followed.

I am hoping to go back out in two weeks to see how she holds- I have a Bassett which i removed and put back on for that very reason.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nice work. Sure is satisfying to see it pay off.
Got the Bassett too, and like it. Still waiting for a chance to do the repeatability test on it myself.
Post again when you've done yours.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice work. Sure is satisfying to see it pay off.
Got the Bassett too, and like it. Still waiting for a chance to do the repeatability test on it myself.
Post again when you've done yours.
Yeah- was funny after i finished i wanted to use the tool to see if it came loose at all. I had a super DOH and realized very quickly that I had it running the wrong way. which fully unset it. I was super scared as I thought it stripped first thinking I was making it tight (lifting it up with the loop). All afternoon in the sun - always have to be extra carful. :)

I am using some blue med. lock tight as well I mean - shoot why not right?

A bad thing that happened was my bipod rail (Versa Pod rail) for the M1A came loose and so I ended up with a chip that started on front bottom end of it due to recoil.
Another DOH - should have used some Blue Med on that as well. I pushed some glue into it and life should be ok- Heck I already drilled two holes in the stock for the cheek weld. Still that was sad. Glad I saw it and a good note to others on that mount.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am using some blue med. lock tight as well I mean - shoot why not right?
Bill Bassett claims that loctite is not needed, and in my vast experience of three days at the range with it, so far its true. Maybe try it that way and see for yourself. It'll save the trouble of cleaning out the old loctite when you remove and reinstall. Not cleaning out loctite residue will change your torque, and by extension, maybe your zero. If I recall, Bill Bassett suggests to run the threads dry. Bill is a hoot to speak with, and full of good stories / info, but he might be a little hard of hearing. ;)

A bad thing that happened was my bipod rail (Versa Pod rail) for the M1A came loose and so I ended up with a chip that started on front bottom end of it due to recoil.
Another DOH - should have used some Blue Med on that as well. I pushed some glue into it and life should be ok- Heck I already drilled two holes in the stock for the cheek weld. Still that was sad. Glad I saw it and a good note to others on that mount.
I have had my Harris BP with the pin mount loosen - it looks like that is common from what I read here. I'm now checking it about every ten shots. Its a big chunk of mass off axis of the recoil, so the shock forces on it are substantial.

Reactions: bonamico

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bill Bassett claims that loctite is not needed, and in my vast experience of three days at the range with it, so far its true. Maybe try it that way and see for yourself. It'll save the trouble of cleaning out the old loctite when you remove and reinstall. Not cleaning out loctite residue will change your torque, and by extension, maybe your zero. If I recall, Bill Bassett suggests to run the threads dry. Bill is a hoot to speak with, and full of good stories / info, but he might be a little hard of hearing. ;)
Yeah- I read that on the site as well- I figured it would not hurt, but didn't think of it changing the torque. I will take that advise after my next day at the range. I will have to get in there with a fine brush and q-tip. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.