M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon!!

New to the Forum, been watching from the sidelines for a while, extracted some extremely useful information while building my first two M1A's. My name is Jay, I am a Electric Power Generation Technician, living in the Dakota's. I began collecting rifles/handguns while stationed in Camp Lejeune NC years and years ago. As a Civilian, my work has revolved around Power Generation - working in the Middle East, Asia and the Oil Fields of the US. I have been blessed with a wonderful job - and after kicking a decade long marriage to the bottle, found I had quiet a bit of funding that was previously spent on less productive things -So I decided a hobby was in order. The AR platforms seemed like a point and click game while the M1 Garand and M14/M1A definitely advertised a bigger and more exciting challenge. I started with the M1A loaded (MA9229) this past week, I have ordered a McMillan Adj M3A, I wasn't too stoked about the wait time after Calling McMillan - so I used Stockystocks - great people very helpful - but the color isn't what I was looking for... Cerakote in the near future from some friends in AZ. Purchased the NF NXS 2.5-10x32 n Rings and the Springfield Armory Scope Mounts. Be sending her to NC to get the rifle bedded and as much as can be done with accurizing it.

What I am trying to find out is how to get ahold of a Krieger Heavy Barrel - I would like to send it to this M1A pro to install... The wait times seem long. Wondering if anybody knew of anybody I could purchase one off of. I have set aside plenty of money for this project and wouldn't be opposed to paying over or for expediting.

Anyway - I love the information that you guys put out, its been so helpful in the past. Thanks for having me!

Jay

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
Welcome from Texas, Jay. I'm glad you found a more productive and healthy thing to do with your life , those kind of marriages are never good for any man. I gotta ask you have you shot your new rifle yet? Perhaps a baseline may be in order, many shooters have found that just pitching $$ and parts at a rifle doesn't always equal smaller groups. Do just 1 thing at a time and test it, so you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater . If you just gotta get something buy ammo , reloading equipment, and supplies, even another M1A or the parts for one. PS what springfield mount did you get?

·
Administrator
17,937 Posts
Welcome aboard jtom, pull up an old ammunition crate and sit awhile. This here Gun Board is a great place for information on our beloved M14 Battlerifle and military surplus ammunition for feeding her. Again welcome aboard and have yourself a great weekend. Thank you for your service to our country, America is better off because of you.

DI5

Reactions: jtom

·
Super Moderator
3,694 Posts
Welcome from Roswell, Georgia.....

M1Army

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Welcome from your neighbor to the east.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Its an expensive disease, but a heck of a lot of fun to treat.... :)

Welcome aboard!

Bud

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I greatly appreciate the encouragement and advice. As for the baseline, I have been firing between upgrades, I had to step back and start testing at 125 yds because of the parallax issue I was having with the new NF scope, but everything I was hoping out of the NM hardware on the MA9229 has been 1.5 MOA -100. Hitting gongs 12" at 400 and 500 consistently - but I think your advice is the road I should probably stick to (baseline) - the only step I was most likely jumping was testing the new stock before bedding.
The Scope mount is the M14GENAM - it required I remove the stripper clip guide, but I knew I would be installing glass at some point so it came to no surprise.
**Update - just bought the new TargetCam system - should be here in 3 weeks - they have upgraded their 7.5" LCD and I got the second sold 10" LCD model - well be doing some pictures for their website once it arrives and we get it fielded.
Thanks again for the kind words, all of you - its been years since I was part of a collective alike minded group.

Jay

·
Registered
426 Posts
Welcome from Central Indiana. Ask away with questions. If you can't find the answer you need here, you may well be the first.

Happy hunting for your build parts and then the building of your Battle Rifle...a M1A.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts