M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everybody!
I'm brand new here and want to begin by thanking you all for such an informative venue for the M1a platform. Now onto the nature of my post. My wonderful wife decided to purchase a newish M1a for my birthday from her father. The rifle has at most 50-100 rounds through it. However, I field stripped and cleaned the rifle and noticed some damage in area of the barrel just before the feed ramps. It looks like pitting on the edge of the barrel very close to the receiver from 3 o'clock to 6 o'clock. I will post a couple pictues when I figure out how to do it. I have NO IDEA what could have caused this and because I am not the original purchaser, I don't know if this is a factory defect or some damage happened during the first 50-100 rounds. Any help would be sincerely appreciated!

Edit: Originally, I stated "feed ramp" damage. This is actually damage to the shank of the barrel just on the edge and directly next to the receiver. Wanted to clarify.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
How's it shoot?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, to be honest, I've been afraid to shoot it for fear I might damage it further. When I shot it with my father in law, from whom the rifle was purchased, it shot great. The occasional double fire because someone was sissy holding the rifle into their shoulder (that would be me) but other than that happening 3 times, no issues.

·
Registered
504 Posts
from 3 to 6 o'clock, could be extractor interference. magic marker the extractor, cycle, see where it interferes. commercial tolerances vary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
from 3 to 6 o'clock, could be extractor interference. magic marker the extractor, cycle, see where it interferes. commercial tolerances vary.
Thanks for the idea, I'll try that. Two thoughts:
If it is extractor interference, could it be from dry-cycling the action? This was done a lot with this weapon.
Second, can I do anything about it or should I just shoot it until it wears enough that the extractor no longer interferes?

·
Super Moderator
11,155 Posts
Thanks for the idea, I'll try that. Two thoughts:
If it is extractor interference, could it be from dry-cycling the action? This was done a lot with this weapon.
Second, can I do anything about it or should I just shoot it until it wears enough that the extractor no longer interferes?
What's done, is probably done. Go enjoy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would shoot it.

What is the barrel/receiver make? Is it an old GI take off?
It is SA manufactured 2011. It has the medium weight barrel and everything is bone stock commercial M1a. I just don't want to make it any worse so that I begin to create a problem. I'm sure y'all understand.

·
Registered
284 Posts
It is SA manufactured 2011. It has the medium weight barrel and everything is bone stock commercial M1a. I just don't want to make it any worse so that I begin to create a problem. I'm sure y'all understand.
Nope... I dont understand. Looks alright go shoot it. Worst case you shoot out the barrel after a few thousand rounds and need to have it replaced for about $300.00... Its a rifle and is made to be shot. go shooting and keep us updated on how it goes.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I can't see a defect unless your talking about that roughness at the edge of the bbl shank. That shouldn't affect performance. Shoot the Rifle. If it is A Springfield Armory and is in stock condition it is covered under their warranty anyway.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
I understand but honestly you can't make it worse unless you take a hammer to it.

I zoomed in as far as possible and for the life of me I see no problem.

Nothing personal, so please don't take offense...

Seems the ability to take digital micro/macro photos these days leads folks to see things they never would have in the past.

It's a battle rifle. Shoot it and when the barrel wears out at about 10,000 rounds just replace it, if you haven't broken the bank buying ammo by then. GI1

JWB

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nope... I dont understand. Looks alright go shoot it. Worst case you shoot out the barrel after a few thousand rounds and need to have it replaced for about $300.00... Its a rifle and is made to be shot. go shooting and keep us updated on how it goes.
As requested, here is the update:
I sent the photo to the springfield armory tech guys. They saw the damage in the area of the barrel just to the posterior of the feed ramps. Their quote to me was that this DOES happen sometimes and they see it from time to time. It occurs for a limited amount of time when the extractor makes slight contact with that portion of the barrel (not technically the feed ramp). The gentleman stated that there will be no performance issues and that it will "wear in." Basically, just shoot it and if the extractor does happen to make contact from time to time... it won't for long. Problem solved! Also, if the damage does start to affect the bolt or get sigificantly worse, it IS covered under the warranty. The bolt specifically has a lifetime warranty so that even if wear is the reason why it stops functioning, SA will replace it (source: kyle p at SA). Apparently, one bolt should last at least 3-4 barrels which last anywhere from 5-9,000 rounds. Providing no damage to bolt, that should mean bolt replacement at a minimum of 15,000 to a maximum of 36,000 rounds maybe more. Also, I had them look up the model number and found out it had a national match barrel and improved trigger. Bonus!
Anyhow, I thought I would provide this because I am always frustrated when postings end without resolutuon. So, if anyone else ever gets this problem, I'd love to hear about it, but don't worry too much. It's a known issue at SA and the warranty has you covered in the off chance that this causes a real problem beyond just worrying too much.
Cheers! Pro57

1 - 15 of 15 Posts