M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally made my sale on the rifle that is going to fund the purchase of my first M1A (decided to buy a new Springfield M1A standard with walnut stock). My first of what I foresee as many questions to follow is what are some of the essentials for a new owner of a M1A (besides the obvious truckload of ammo). So far I have a shopping cart consisting of the following:
Lubriplate
Bolt roller greaser
Chamber maid
.308 chamber brush
CMI 20 round magazine (CMI)
Sadlak reinforced QD post.
Bassett low picatinny rail scope mount.

Thanks in Advance,

Hermann.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Forgot to add...lots of money to counteract the addiction that is the M1a/m14
Yes! Soon, you'll be buying USGI spare parts like there's no tomorrow. Then you'll probably end up with two M1As, then you'll find that you want/need a third one!

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I wouldn't immediately replace them, but I would have a spare set of usgi bolt guts. extractor, springs and firing pin.

also include an empty .30-06 case in your kit for a field expedient bolt tear down/assembly method.

·
Registered
473 Posts
lots of threads on what to do if you look.

From my experience the first thing I would buy is a USGI bolt guts kit and and get a 30-06 casing and learn to tear down the bolt and just replace the guts. Tonyben's videos on here will help you do that

Next make a list for Sadlak industries

you will need a few tools from them and you might was well buy a National match spring guide and their optic mount since you bought an SAI in case you have an out of spec receiver. They are top quality anyways!

Then call Tubbs and order a Spring for your spring guide.

Next you will need to shim it.

That will get you to where you need to be with an accurate and reliable rifle.

From then on it is is up to you on replacing other stuff and learning and deciding how you want to build it up from there.

Good luck!

Reactions: tonyben

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,307 Posts
Essentials...

Here is a short list of what is really needed:

Dewey 25 inch one piece cleaning rod with Parker-Hale style jag
Sadlak gas cylinder wrench
Combination tool or 3/8" box end wrench
Sadlak gas system carbon removing tools
Lots of GI cleaning patches
Bore solvent - I still like Hoppe's No. 9
Gun grease - Plastilube or even GI gun grease works fine. I don't much care for Lubriplate which tends to harden if not replaced on a regular basis.
Dewey cleaning rod guide
P&M's receiver insert or it's more expensive copy: M1 Buddy (note that a simple five round stripper clip with suffice to keep the bolt open when cleaning, but it won't keep the junk out of the action)

This list is the minimum needed to maintain the M14.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Yes! Soon, you'll be buying USGI spare parts like there's no tomorrow. Then you'll probably end up with two M1As, then you'll find that you want/need a third one!
What he said. I've owned 10 of them, four at once. I always end up trading or selling them but will always pick one up if I find one. I'm expecting a SOCOM 16 next week! The addicition never ends.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I too bought a bolt roller greaser when I first got my rifle, & I think I've actually used one time during my couple years of ownership. If I had read earlier that an empty 45ACP case can perform the same function I would have saved those few bucks.

I also bought gas cylinder shims early on, & they reside unused in the spare parts pile because my gas cylinder lock, when turned around, timed perfectly.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
I finally made my sale on the rifle that is going to fund the purchase of my first M1A (decided to buy a new Springfield M1A standard with walnut stock). My first of what I foresee as many questions to follow is what are some of the essentials for a new owner of a M1A (besides the obvious truckload of ammo). So far I have a shopping cart consisting of the following:
Lubriplate
Bolt roller greaser
Chamber maid <<======
.308 chamber brush
CMI 20 round magazine (CMI)
Sadlak reinforced QD post.
Bassett low picatinny rail scope mount.

Thanks in Advance,

Hermann.
I like the cut of your jib, Sir!

ICONWINK

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
On top of what the other guys suggested......

Broken shell extractor? I just got one.... one of those "if you need it, you NEED it" things. Now that I have one, Im sure I'll never need it. It'll go in the stock with my GI Combo tool.

I haven't used a roller greaser tool. Packed mine like I do wheel bearings.

You need more than one mag.

How are you cleaning the bore? "Shoelace"/cable, or cleaning rod? Find what you want to use as a guide if using a rod.

Every rifle needs a sling

Proper targets help immensely with iron sights

Buy or make your own castle nut pliers

Gas cylinder wrench is handy, but you can get by without it.

Allen wrenches to remove set screw on castle nut and front sight.

at least thats some of the stuff I've added to my kit lately.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I just read this thread and was surprised that a good sling was not mentioned earlier. Lots of good ones out there like Turner or Ron Brown service rifle slings. Otherwise a good GI cotton web sling will do for now.

I will add emphasis on the Dewey M14 muzzle guide. All good advice listed above my friend, including the get out while you can stuff!

My name is Pat, and I am an M14 addict...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts