M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my new Springfield Scout to the range today for its first firing. Have the gun in a JAE stock with a Sadlak Airborne scope mount. Problem I am having is the cases are stove piping like a 45 auto 1911, but the case stove pips to the side. Tried 3 different mags and it consistently happen 3-4 times per mag. Tried FGMM 168's and 147 Ball, no difference. Brass marks on the top of the scope mount at the very front and on the receiver at about 1 o clock. When it happens a round chambers in the barrel, a empty case is stove piped, and if you actuate the charge handle you now pick up another round making for a stoppage that requires you dropping the mag to clear. This is not my first gun of this type, but the first time I have run a optic on a m14 type gun. Any ideas would be appericated.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
First and easiest is to refit the bolt with GI surplus parts. I found that this tends to change the ejection angle and solve the issue. There is a myriad of fine tuning that can be reviewed, but this is a simple at home fix that in the long run will afford better reliability.

PS, Welcome to the Forum. Congrats on that new Bangstick!

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to the forums also, and a new socom owner.

Ive heard about the USGI extractors... but I am having a hard time finding a place to buy one i know is good. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
First and easiest is to refit the bolt with GI surplus parts. I found that this tends to change the ejection angle and solve the issue. There is a myriad of fine tuning that can be reviewed...
Yes, changing the ejector and extractor might help.

Others have cut a coil or two off the ejector (NOT extractor) spring to change how the gun ejects spent casings. Search for more info...

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
+ 1 762BTHP ...... The ejector spring may be gunked up with grease or brass pieces, and I have noticed a lot of soft ejectors that are smashing down lately, leaving a ridge that hangs up inside the bolt hole where they are housed. A file to smooth them up, and they work again until smashed more. As mentioned ,the best fix is USGI parts. The extractors on these models are also drilled too deep for the extractor plunger, which causes problems with full robust ejections.

J.Y. Wolfe is running a sale at his website on extractors...Shhh, ...don't tell everyone, just buy you a pocketfull and hush !! M14parts and armory services is his site.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I replace the entire bolt with a USGI one do I have to headspace or check anything? Being brand new you would assume all tolerances are good.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
If I replace the entire bolt with a USGI one do I have to headspace or check anything? Being brand new you would assume all tolerances are good.
A new bolt will need to be fitted to the receiver. This isn't a DIY project unless you are a way advanced amateur. Your bolt should be fine. I'd take the others advice and just replace the bolt guts. The only thing I changed on mine was the extractor. It runs just fine GI2

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
You definitely dont have to get a new bolt. Only if you really just want one. Swap out the ejector and extractor when you find them. Done wonders for mine. Totally changed the angle of ejection to below the mount.

There is also merit in checking your current parts for goobers and sludge like stated above. Mine was bone dry when I got it apart. It was a factory stock Scout too so I'd be expecting yours to be like that too. With new parts and a little coat of grease, it really flings the brass now.

After you install your new extractor, be sure to look at the bottom of the bolt and verify the post is flush or sunken in somewhat. If it's sticking out, you'll have a different issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts