M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
NSR
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks...

I'm using an SAI Loaded M1A, about five years old, very good condition physically and operationally, but...

It double-taps occasionally, if that's the proper term. Two shots for the price of one. This happens once or twice out of 50 rounds, almost every time I take the rifle to the range.

It has a NM trigger. The pull weight was actually increased by the factory to solve this same problem when the gun was new. I have not measured the weight lately but it doesn't feel particularly light.

Is there something I can do to correct this, or does it need a gunsmith's attention, or what?

Any input would be appreciated. I'm just concerned that today's double-tap could become tomorrow's unintended full-auto burst. TIA for your help, guys.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Shooting of a bench? If so, some report having this issue due to the way they pull the trigger and the recoil.

If this is when it happens try holding the trigger back when the rifle goes bang until you've taken that breath that you exhaled prior to pulling the trigger.

Breathe in, breathe out, squeeze the trigger, bang, hold the trigger back, breath in, release the trigger to the point the sear resets (you can hear/feel a small click when you have a good solid cheek weld on the stock).

Then you're ready to repeat the above for the next shot.

·
NSR
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How's about shutting off the gas port (using the screw on the cylinder housing) for bench shooting? That would save wear, tear, and loss of the brass and of course it would eliminate the bump fire problem. Not as cool as semi-auto, I know.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Proper trigger technique is to hold the trigger fully rearward until recoil has stopped, and then fully release the trigger for the next shot.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Proper trigger technique is to hold the trigger fully rearward until recoil has stopped, and then fully release the trigger for the next shot.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
I agree with Both Jay's !!!

GI1

The usual term for this is 'Bump-Fire', and if you do a Search here, you will find many previous threads from guys who have had the same question...
My opinion is, before you decide 'it's the gun'...check your own trigger technique and see !?

Good Luck!

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
639 Posts
Take note to see if it ever doubles on you while shooting off hand. Probably not. That would mean something. Don't baby that trigger, make a very positive pull.

·
NSR
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, everybody. The unanimous opinion seems to be that the problem is in my trigger finger. Guess I'd better pay more attention to that. I fire the rifle mostly from the bench.

·
"Death From Above"
11,922 Posts
Could be that the trigger pull weight is still very light. If you can measure it, it would be a big help in determining if it's you or the rifle. Granted most of the time it's the operator as Mr Kosta mentioned as well as others. If it is real light it will amplify any technique issues.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
bump firing is a whole different ball of wax!! yes i would be willing to bet the problem is your trigger finger, but its normally considered MILKING the trigger. dont treat it like a BR rifle, get agressive with the trigger.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Jay is correct, when squeezing the trigger follow through and keep the trigger all the way back. If you are going forward with your finger as the rifle goes back into battery it could very well be at a point of trigger release. Practice your trigger control by dry firing (NO AMMO IN CHAMBER) I think that will correct it

·
NSR
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mr. Kelley, thanks for the referral to the video. "Pin and release"--I like that term, as well as the idea of treating the trigger like it has two breakpoints, one coming and one going.

For those who asked, I measured the pull on my M1A and it is just over five pounds. So "too light" is probably not the issue.

I'm confident that the advice in this post will solve the problem.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Mr. Kelley, thanks for the referral to the video. "Pin and release"--I like that term, as well as the idea of treating the trigger like it has two breakpoints, one coming and one going.

For those who asked, I measured the pull on my M1A and it is just over five pounds. So "too light" is probably not the issue.

I'm confident that the advice in this post will solve the problem.
You sir are very welcome.
Patrick

·
Registered
588 Posts
The unanimous opinion seems to be that the problem is in my trigger finger.
That opinion is BS and dangerous! A properly adjusted trigger shouldn't double tap regardless of how you are pulling the trigger.

Furthermore, I've seen a shi..p load of SAI triggers that have been NM tuned by drunken monkeys. That's your problem, not your finger. Send it back!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Fix all potential causes before a local LEO or FED takes notice and you get the gun seized and charged with possession of an unregistered machine gun.
Send it back, it's got a good warranty.
Keep a copy of all your complaints to have a record, and when you get it back, fully pull back the trigger and keep it back for a while between shots.
Between the 2 "fixes" you have a better chance of never having the problem again. When I had a trigger problem on my Supermatch, I sent back the trigger assembly, NOT the whole gun. It came back in about 2 weeks in much better shape.

·
NSR
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gunshack, thanks for the information on the mechanical problems that can occur. I will attempt to confirm or rule out this hammer issue, though I plan to try the "free" method of trigger control first.

I am not the original owner of the M1A in question. Is the SAI lifetime warranty transferable?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.