M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. This weekend I took my M1A Bush Rifle out to the range for some holiday "fun". I lucked out when I purchased this rifle because it came with a USGI Trigger Group (HR-N) and a USGI Op-Rod (HRA). The bolt is Springfield, Incorporated and this was the second time since I purchased it that I shot it. Until this weekend I had only put 300 rounds of South African Ball through it. This second time around I put 200 rounds of Aussie, 240 rounds of South African, and 200 rounds of the superb Portugese Ball. I experienced a few failures to feed with the South African but after about 80 rounds everything went without incident until I stripped the rifle to clean it. To my surprise the Springfield, Inc bolt is literally bent out of shape and seems to have compressed in the middle of the bolt body. I have heard about all the cast part horror stories but this seems a little extreme. I can't even believe that I was able to continue shooting without something catastrophic occuring. I will be contacting Springfield to take advantage of their "Lifetime Warranty" but I have lost a little faith in certain cast parts. This incident makes me glad that I purchased 2 TRW bolts before CMP ran out. I just wanted to see how long the cast bolt would last and I guess I found out. Anyways, I just wanted to share this with all of the M14/M1A Community to keep an eye out for their safety regarding these bolts. Sorry for the length of this post.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Welcome aboard there STiiBS, might be a good idea to send one of those USGI bolts to springfield and have them headspace it, or at the very least ask them to put a USGI bolt in the rifle that you don't feel confident that this won't happen again..... Mighty glad nothing happened.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd tell Springfield that they better be replacing your commercial bolt with a GI one!!! You may also want to send your own GI bolts in with it so they can check the headspace with them.

They better get their act together. :evil:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how did you ascertain that the bolt was bent? Can
you post some pictures of this bolt? I'm just trying to visualize how a
cast part such as a bolt can "bend". I too feel much better about a USGI
bolt but, I just find it hard to believe that a bolt could bend. :?:

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha STiiBS:

A picture would be a great Heads Up on what to watch out for. This is the first I heard of a bolt bending... I read a post in BR on the lugs shearing off a bolt a while back.

But since I cannot add to this thread... I will just Welcome you aboard!!!

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Vet66 said:
I just find it hard to believe that a bolt could bend. :?:
You & me both... :roll:

Not to be rude but I hope the original poster knows that the underside of the bolt is curved?

If it were bent, I don't see how the firing pin would function or how the bolt would move freely, lock into battery properly or even function to shoot 640 rounds...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry Everyone,

After reading the replies I truly did not know the underside was curved. :? I guess that's why I'm the FNG. I really thought is was bent. Anyways, I appreciate all the member replies that has assisted me with this.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey

STiiBS, I remember the first time I noticed the M14 bolt had the bend in it, I thought it was odd enough but I checked it with other bolts. I am sorry if I came accross too hard, but I for one get a little too tired of all the "Springfield Bashing" beause of their "cast" bolts.

After reading "The True Story of the Beretta M9 Pistol" by Tim Chandler on the defensereview.com (http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=378), he had a wonderful quote, not to imply at all that you are the cause of rumors, but maybe a victim, at any rate the quote is funny, enjoy;
"As any experienced firearms enthusiast knows, rumors run WILD in the gun world. There are more silly fads and idiotic rumors in the gun culture than there are among pre-teen girls. Sometimes the bull flows so freely that a fellow needs hip waders and a lifejacket to keep from drowning in it. Some stories, however, are true or have at least SOME grain of truth to them. The trick is being able to... wade through the baloney to find the truth."

Have fun with your rifle. If you have any worries get one of your extra GI bolts fitted as a spare, but there are too many happy campers shooting their "cast" bolts to loose out on enjoying a great rifle.

p.s. the article and the web site are good reading.

Bill

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bent"" bolt is nuthin' don't sweat it ; few years back a guy made Fal recievers out of Alum. Then his 'friends" announced and carried on a 100 round test of it. Later it cracked apart. Lucky to not have imploded while torture testing.
Lube it well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.