M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
It's been posted many many times.

But it's good for people to know what a catastrophic failure its.

It's more than a couple broke bolt parts.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
I think I remember it being caused by old ammo with a corresponding head space problem as well.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Moral of this story is: "Don't buy or shoot rifles with unknown or unmarked barrels".

This failure was caused by a faulty barrel from an unknown manufacture according to the analysis in the report. "Quality counts!"

Stay safe,
D1

·
Registered
809 Posts
I was on the DM range the day it happened. That was in 2001. Very cold winter day for the desert.
The shooter was lucky to be alive.
The pictures don't show it real well. But the bbl looked like it was cast iron with the porous nature seen in the fractures.
Yup-NEVER use a 'no-name' bbl or rec'r--

LG

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,299 Posts
This may have well been one of the barrels I referred to in another thread. If so, that makes ten of the 35 barrels from this batch that failed. The barrels originated in California and were sold unfinished from a Marine Corps contract over run. The buyer had the finish machining done and sold them in the white. I bought two and one of those failed after about 1800 rounds. Only M118 ammunition was shot in it. The other was sent to Frank Smith at the NGMTU for analysis. It was found that the cause of the failures was because the barrels were not stress relieved after machining to contour. It wasn't thought that the quality of the steel had anything to do with these failures. The original contractor had an excellent reputation for his barrel work.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I think I remember it being caused by old ammo with a corresponding head space problem as well.
Incorrect! It was A barrel issue. Not only was I there but the shooter is a personal friend.
was on the DM range the day it happened. That was in 2001. Very cold winter day for the desert.
The shooter was lucky to be alive.
The pictures don't show it real well. But the bbl looked like it was cast iron with the porous nature seen in the fractures.
Yup-NEVER use a 'no-name' bbl or rec'r--

LG
Interesting so was I PM me I would love to know who this is?
This may have well been one of the barrels I referred to in another thread. If so, that makes ten of the 35 barrels from this batch that failed. The barrels originated in California and were sold unfinished from a Marine Corps contract over run. The buyer had the finish machining done and sold them in the white. I bought two and one of those failed after about 1800 rounds. Only M118 ammunition was shot in it. The other was sent to Frank Smith at the NGMTU for analysis. It was found that the cause of the failures was because the barrels were not stress relieved after machining to contour. It wasn't thought that the quality of the steel had anything to do with these failures. The original contractor had an excellent reputation for his barrel work.
Your spot on. that rifle was built by a Marine Corps Armory for him. The rifle last for many Thousands of rounds but finally had it's Kaboom. The ammo was Germain Ball and he fired thousands of rounds of that before it went. He had just swapped out the flashider for a muzzle brake and was zeroing the rifle. He zeroed up with some Federal Gold match 168's and then wanted to test his balls zero. First round turn the rifle into a mess. Besides his hand getting a bit if rash and the shock of what had happen he was fine. In the end Fulton built a very nice rifle for him.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.