M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of selecting bullets for my rifle.

I *seem* to remember having heard/read that 7.62 NATO prefers boattail bullets for best accuracy. Am I dreaming? Will flat base bullets perform as well?

I have a SEI medium weight barrel 1:10 twist.

What say you?

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Open tip, boat tail is good for accuracy.

I also like flat base projectiles.

Speer makes a nice 125 grain flat base hollow point pill that is also quite accurate.GITEN

·
Registered
409 Posts
Most of the charts for Rate of Twist would suggest heavier pills with a 1:10. I have the same ROT and I found that 165gr work well.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I am in the process of selecting bullets for my rifle.

I *seem* to remember having heard/read that 7.62 NATO prefers boattail bullets for best accuracy. Am I dreaming? Will flat base bullets perform as well?

I have a SEI medium weight barrel 1:10 twist.

What say you?
Flat Based Bullets perform like a Charm in all my 14s, they outperform BT in the shorter distances, like 100 or 200yds, unfortunately for the 600yd Line no Flat Based Bullet that I like is available, so I go with the 175SMK!
PS Two of my Rifles are 1in10, the other one is 1in 12!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your input....I have a small supply of 168 gr. SMKs but was looking for a lighter bullet for the ranges at which I typically shoot (100-200 yds.) Sierra makes a 150 gr, Game King FMJ I plan to try but if flat base bullets work well, I have quite a selection of those.....for example my Garands love 150 gr. Nosler ballistic tips......

Of all the gunboards I frequent this one is without doubt the most constructive.

Thank you!!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,171 Posts
Flat based pill work very well in the range your looking at 100-200yds without much wind, on the pulse side the T/E is less for the same number of rounds fired vrs. a boat tail pill.

For fun I recomend you try the 125 Speer TnT just keep the speed under 3000fps, if you use your 600yd load data you should be about 2800fps and your M1A will feel like a Ar/15. Have fun.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Don't choose the bullet for your rifle !
"let your rifle choose" You will get better results by sitting down and trying some.
Once toy find the right one that will wshoot well, take the rest as rabbit blasters or save them for another 308 or a diffrent rifle. Trade some to someone who is trying some diffrent loads.

Ed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts