M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I originally wanted to buy an AR15 or a bullpup, but CA's AWB came out and I needed a rifle, so I bought a standard M1A for a very good deal for about $1,400. After a few years, I decided to work on the M1A and build it up with the Blackfeather RS chassis along with the LSP. I had a lot of fun hitting 600+ yards with it (800yards max) and i absolutely love it. However there are some down side to my rifle for my application. My issue is that there is too much weight in the front and it slows me down when I try to do fast target acquisition shooting. So, for testing purposes, I removed my God-tier spotlight OWL cloud defense light and the Ultradyne Apollo Max Muzzle brake along with the SEI Flash Suppressor Thread Adaptor. Just removing those 3 items made my rifle felt so much better.

OWL CLOUD DEFENSE- 11oz

Apollo Max- 5.2oz

Adaptor- i don't know.

So I am thinking about replacing the OWL with the brand new REIN which is 8.5oz with everything. Replace the ultradyne Apollo Max with the Lantac Dragon which will be 2.8oz paired with SEI Socom 16 gas lock

REIN- 7 to 8.5oz

Dragon- 2.8oz

Socom gas lock- i don't know

Here is where i need the M14 gunsmith's help.

While I do want better performance for fast shooting, will a 16in barrel keep me from reaching 500-800yards? I know plenty of AR10s and Scar 17s can reach it, but I notice socom users can barely touch 400yards with their 16in barrels. However, i am using a proven Blackfeather RS chassis with a 1-8x scope, so i assume that changes everything for the better.

How much weight am i saving by removing 5 - 6inches of barrel? I understand the weight itself may not be much but it certainly does multiply itself when i extend that weight further away from my body (torque).

Can i get a gunsmith to cut the barrel or do i need to buy a socom barrel? Or should i save up and buy a custom 16in krieger barrel? If i go with krieger, the good thing is i can put a 5/8-24 at the end of the gas cylinder. Also, what twist should i go if i want it to reach 600-800yards?

Here is my rifle at it's current setup, pistol grip is not installed for obvious reasons.
20201114_190208.jpg

·
Premium Member
17,498 Posts
Pretty cool. Looks very high tech.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
I would defer to whoever actually does such work, but I think you could trim your barrel back to 18.5" or so and thread the barrel, maybe not 5/8-24, as I don't know that there's enough meat on it to leave you enough thread, but you could put some minimalist muzzle device if front end weight is the criteria.

If you're going SOCOM 16 length, you may need to rebarrel, or at least want to rebarrel, as I believe you need to do more extensive modifications to make it comes together regarding the gas system and parts fitting, but like I said, I would defer to somebody who does such work, and I don't mean an average gunsmith who 'can work on M1a', but somebody who builds, conditions, and trouble-shoots them on a regular basis. Of those who I suspect are qualified, and are also likely to be able to do it in the near future (but I wouldn't expect anybody you want would be able to have it back to you by Christmas), I can only think of Ted Brown.

Cool rifle, BTW.

If you want a minimal light that is... light, and has an easy quick release, and easy recharge, OLight's Baldr Mini isn't too bad. Weighs 3.0 oz, and comes off in a jiffy, has a decent amount of light for such a little thing, and you get a laser show too if you want it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I would defer to whoever actually does such work, but I think you could trim your barrel back to 18.5" or so and thread the barrel, maybe not 5/8-24, as I don't know that there's enough meat on it to leave you enough thread, but you could put some minimalist muzzle device if front end weight is the criteria.

5/8 is .625, the barrel is roughly .600in. Which is why the "unique" muzzle thread is .595 by something. So there isnt enough meat for a 5/8-24 to form. That is why i was considering the SEI gas lock.

If you're going SOCOM 16 length, you may need to rebarrel, or at least want to rebarrel, as I believe you need to do more extensive modifications to make it comes together regarding the gas system and parts fitting, but like I said, I would defer to somebody who does such work, and I don't mean an average gunsmith who 'can work on M1a', but somebody who builds, conditions, and trouble-shoots them on a regular basis. Of those who I suspect are qualified, and are also likely to be able to do it in the near future (but I wouldn't expect anybody you want would be able to have it back to you by Christmas), I can only think of Ted Brown.
So, when you say rebarrel, you mean like a whole new custom barrel right? I was looking into krieger for that, their lead time is roughly 3 months for a custom job. Well this post was to reach out to "expert" M1A gunsmiths as a stepping stone to the right direction. I dont know if i can wait that long, i'll miss it too much lol.

Cool rifle, BTW.

Thank you! its my pride and joy, please dont ask how much i put into it. I dont want to rememeber lol!

If you want a minimal light that is... light, and has an easy quick release, and easy recharge, OLight's Baldr Mini isn't too bad. Weighs 3.0 oz, and comes off in a jiffy, has a decent amount of light for such a little thing, and you get a laser show too if you want it.

I thought about it for awhile, Cloud Defense sells a REIN micro and its roughly 5 or 6 oz with everything. However, my buddy bought the full size REIN and it blew my OWL out of the water. I love my OWL because i can see targets with my optic up to 300 to 400 yards.

View attachment 437304
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
There are definitely real experts on the forum, but they're not me. I don't think it requires a custom barrel, unless you're set on a krieger. But I think if you just cut the barrel shorter to 16" there isn't enough gas, but this is second hand recollection.

Between Ted, TonyBen, Rammac, and JohnB, I think you'll have plenty of info about SOCOM style options, when they get to it :p

Until then, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are definitely real experts on the forum, but they're not me. I don't think it requires a custom barrel, unless you're set on a krieger. But I think if you just cut the barrel shorter to 16" there isn't enough gas, but this is second hand recollection.

Between Ted, TonyBen, Rammac, and JohnB, I think you'll have plenty of info about SOCOM style options, when they get to it :p

Until then, welcome to the forum!

Oh yeah i heard about that, i originally wanted to chop the barrel down to the first gas cylinder ring and utilize the ultradyne's nice flange they made for their iron sights. i was gonna reuse it for the gas port and do a small pin/weld on top which will replace the brace that is also interconnected with the gas plug. That is if i make a custom lightweight gas cylinder. The gun smith told me that he would not be able to make a hole big enough for it to cycle lol. So you're right about that. I still think someone should make a custom lightweight gas cylinder. Especially for someone that is using a blackfeather chassis, which only requires the op rod guide and trigger group to be locked in place.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts