M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is in the right place - I have a Springfield M1A and an aftermarket bipod. I've attached the bipod to the gas tube, it just doesn't clamp down right, after a few shots, it fell of. Either I'm mounting it in the wrong place or the machining of the bipod isn't to spec.

Can somebody post some close up photos of the bipods attached to the gas tube?

Since it doesn't seem to fit right, wonder if it was for another rifle. Does the Garand take the same bipod?

Thanks - Jim

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
When you say attaches to the gas tube, does your bi pod have a hex nut which clamps two pieces to the tube?? Without knowing for sure just which bi pod you have difficult to advise, but if yours is a copy of the original GI bi pod they are what I would call directional.
Legs need to fold back toward the action/shooter. Attempting to clamp otherwise does not give a secure grip/fit on the tube itself. Would add I know of no bi pod for the M1 Garand or any "issue" type??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I purchased an aftermarket, what I believe is a replica of a GI issue bipod, if there is such a thing. The issue is, where does it clamp on the gas tube. The way the top of the bipod is machined (cast), the contour doesn't exactly fit the gas tube. It doesn't exactly fit the "strap" that connects the barrel to the gas tube either. I have it oriented in the direction as to when it folds, the legs tilt along the stock, towards the receiver.

The very end of the gas tube has a hex bolt head.

I uploaded five photos, the bipod doesn't seem to fit position A or B. Looking down into the bipod, the contour just doesn't seem right. I need to know, does it go in A position or B? I'll probably have to machine the bipod to fit. Again, wondering if the bipod was made out of spec or for a different rifle?

My first posting, hope I did ok.

Thanks - Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you say attaches to the gas tube, does your bi pod have a hex nut which clamps two pieces to the tube??
On the bottom side of the bipod there is a slotted hex head screw that allows the bipod to be tightened, clamped on to the gas tube.

To answer your question about is it an issue type, or for Garand, I don't know.

I can't believe Springfield has the wrong dimensions, so it must be the bipod that is incorrect. I can machine the bipod but want to be sure of the proper placement before I modify it.

Jim

·
Registered
353 Posts
GI style bipod

Your photo position B is the correct way to install with the sling facing forward.. I always pinch the tabs closed over the gas cylinder forward band and lock then tighten with the combination tool OR 3/8 socket. I have yet to find a torque - ie: there is one for the gas cylinder plug. Your gas cylinder lock appears to be blued rather than park'd. If it is not usgi so as to accomplish the goal handguard ring shimming then it would be too thick for the tabs. Since, you stated slotted hex screw you have the tawianese version which recieves farorable reviews/comments AND is a reported supplier for springfield who also has tolerance issues...Just search for scope mounting info to learn about that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You answered my question on the location, I thought the "B" position was correct but the clamps just don't fit right. I can tighten the heck out of the clamp but it still isn't right. I'll modify the clamp, that's why I have a machine shop! I can't think of any other solution.

I haven't tried the bipod on any of my Garands, are they different?

All of the parts are parkerized, nothing is blued. The flash from the camera must have added extra sheen to the photo.

There is no stamped nomenclature on the bipod, like you suggested, the Taiwanese version.

I wrapped the feet up with rubber tape, when folded back didn't want to scratch the beautiful walnut stock, sort of gave them a non-skid surface.

Thanks again. - Jim

·
Registered
353 Posts
M1's or Garands never had a bipod....For that matter neither did the M14's.....The M14E2 or sometimes M14A1 became the sqaud automatic rifle as the full auto option was too much for "regular" infantry and typically locked out. For the S A R role the M14E2 also has a compensator that slipped over the FS and nutted against the bayo lug, plus it's stock had an integral pistol grip with a forward, folding vertical grip....All the way back in 1960's hmmm... My photo shows a modified fiberglass stock to pay homage, and the originals are as much as another glock when all the metal is with em - one can be seen on ebay today, but has no metal for 250. YES, I have the tawi bipod also. As you already know the stock gets contacted only on the left side, for me that what semi-gloss black paint is for since mine is rough textured all over. FWIW my sling style is from the Israeli way of doing things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem solved! The casting was quite rough, no machining.
I had to remove .050" from part of the clamp that goes on
the strap on the gas tube. The correct width is about .866",
the space in the clamp, about .813". Touched it with the
mill, cleaned up with a file, now a dab of cold blue.

We can close this "trouble ticket," problem solved, fits like
a glove now. Final photo attached.

Thanks everyone for helping me on this one, a very minor issue
but I like to do it right.

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.