M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with the ART/MPC scopes? I think it was made by Leatherwood. I got it with an M1A I just bought recently and I was wondering if they are any good. I am new to the precision shooting arena and I am not ready (yet) to buy a top of the line sniper scope to learn how to shoot at long distances. Is this scope good enough to learn with. I have an ARMS #18 on order because the SA 3rd Gen mount it came with was canting the scope to the right. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D
Edizzle

btw I put this exact question of the Battlefield rifles board so many of you will probably see it again.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Edill69:

Welcome Aboard! Glad to have you here!!!

You know that is probably one of the most asked question that I have seen posted... and with good reason... this simple question has such a slew of answers... be prepared, you will get inundated with information that will be good for you to make that ultimate decision...

You already got your weapon of choice, an ARMS mount... now a scope... hmmm... I am wondering... what kind of budget are you working with? Do you have preferences of your own from your own experiences? What have you heard so far that has appealed to you? These will be good questions, if answered, that will help us help you.

"T" has already pointed you towards the possibility of a Tasco Super Sniper that runs for about $300. I am sure the full spectrum of what is out there will be enormous.

However, I also have Tasco SS scopes, and some call it "Trashco", I have found them to be a good medium priced scope which have finger turrets, mil-dot reticles, clear glass and fairly sturdy frame. I like them so much that at one point, I had five of them. The 10X will probably be best for most, the 16X will be good for long range, the 20X is too powerful unless you are shooting at really long distances.

But before I get carried away, I will wait to see your next post. Go to SWFA and they have a large selection of scopes for you to look at and get base pricing... Then you are off to do more research...

Your scope will probably be the single most important accessory that you are likely to add on to a rifle and it does you right to ask this very important question... we too are not on unlimited budgets and understand well...

Aloha, Best Wishes and Welcome Aboard!

Tom O.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am on somewhat of a tight budget right now. I just bought a house, so I am not going to buy a new scope right now. Will this scope suffice for the time being? Ultimately I would like a nice high end Military/LE type scope but I am not yet there skill wise or money wise. I was looking around the net and found a guy who is selling the same scope as I have and he is asking 675! Are these scopes worth that much. I personally think the ART feature is just another think that will break when you least expect it. Id rather not have that on a scope. But I think my main questions are, can I use this scope to successfully teach myself how to shoot a acoped M1A? And if I have to sell it, are there people in the market for a scope like this? In other words, will it sell?

Thanks for all the great input guys! :D

Edizzle

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Edill:

I have a Leatherwood ART Sporter that I bought from a fellow member. And, while this scope is not the "real deal" military version, it did help me better understand the ART style of ranging! The glass was not as clear and bright as my other scopes, however, the ranging system was unique and interesting. The hard part was calibrating the scope to your bullet.

Any some quick answer to your questions (IMHO :lol: )...
Will this scope suffice for the time being?
I definitely think that this scope will help suffice your general needs.

But I think my main questions are, can I use this scope to successfully teach myself how to shoot a acoped M1A? And if I have to sell it, are there people in the market for a scope like this? In other words, will it sell?
And definitely, an ART scope will help you to learn how to shoot a scoped M14 type rifle. Depending on the version and SN of your scope will determine its saleability. I see ART scopes advertised occasionally on various "classified sections" in forums... like Gunsamerica, etc.

If you already have the scope, I would shoot with what you got, especially if you're on a tight budget! The mount will allow you to put on any type of scope that meets your fancy in the future...

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I to have had a leatherwood sporter. I liked it, had it on an arms mount, I had to make some mods to fit, nothing major, because the arms is so low. the change that I would do is have your mounting screws on the left side of the rifle opposite the charging handle side, I had a few empties get jammed in between the handle and the mounting thumb screw. Other than that I liked the scope and you will do fine with it. Only reason I sold it, the guy who bought my rifle wanted a package deal. I know have a Tasco SS. great scope. Need a couple of more of those. Hope this helps.
rooster

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It helps alot. Now at least I know something about what I have. Depending on what I can get for it though, I may just sell it and get something a little more user friendly if the price is right. It seems like like the learning curve to use this one would be high. Lots of dials.
You guys rule. Thanks for the help. :D :D
Edizzle
P.S. Know anyone would would want this scope? If so, let me know. I'm a poet and didn't know it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
edill69,

Congratulations on your new home. I sell houses for a living and always love to hear of folks getting into them. I hope all went well with your transaction and you got what you needed and wanted.

On to more important things

As for the scope, is there another rifle you could also use a scope for? I’m thinking getting an intermediate type scope for your M1A right now and later move it to a different rifle when you get the scope you want on the M1A. Reason I ask, I’m getting pretty geeked up about this little Leupold 4x33 with the No. 1 German post from Premier Reticles.

This reticle is very similar to the ELCAN, which is very quick on target acquisition due to the relatively low power of the scope and the nature of the reticle, drawing your attention to the aiming point. The scope also provides for precision shooting with the tip of the spear type aiming. The Brits have used the same thing just opposite (the spear descends from the top of the view) they refer to it as the “Finger of God.” I see this scope being an excellent choice for a light DMR type rifle or a more precision arf. It is a rugged Leupold fixed power scope, it is relatively diminutive, doesn’t cost too much and could be used just about anywhere. Just my .02

Best regards, T

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TB, i have 2 other rifles actually. I have a Norinco SKS and a German 98K Mauser coded BYF 44. I've thought about scoping the SKS with a cheap scope but it's not high on my priority list right now. I paid 75 bucks for it right before the background check was instituted for long arms and i saw people buying them by the crate. If I scoped the Mauser it would have to be scoped with a genuine wehrmacht scope being that my BYF 44 is genuine as well. I love that rifle. I think I love the M1A more though. I'm still on the fence about selling my ART/MPC. I guess it all depends on how much I can get for it.

Edizzle

·
Registered
1 Posts
The ART Technology developed by James Leatherwood for Snipers in the Viet Nam war is becoming more valuable over time. Good specimens of the original ART I and Art II scopes are very hard to find now. If you are lucky enough to find one they are in the $4000 on up range depending on condition and if they come with the original case, even higher. Keep the ART scope you have if you are interested in having a historic piece of military technology, otherwise keep an eye on the current pricing for the ART/MPC (around $800 - $1000 for a good specimen) and find a buyer. Even though it is not a pure military version, it still uses the ART ranging technology.
Sniper "Dutch"
Viet Nam 1971

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
The Leatherwood ART MPC scope is made up on a Weaver 3-9 scope with a reticle similar to that found in Redfield Accu-Range scopes. The automatic ranging feature works quite well. I purchased one of these scopes when Weaver went out of business back in the 80's. They were sale priced at $89.95 from J&G Distributors. It was a steal at that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts