M14 Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Leftists adopting the term "liberal" is just like them adopting the color blue to distract real Americans from their true intentions. Political correctness has cost us dearly.

At a hair over 10 pounds, my M1A Scout is hardly a Scout Rifle, but it is as handy as a 10 pound rifle can be. My favorite feature is the flush fitting 5 round magazine that allows balanced carry at the receiver just like a Garand. I carry a loaded 20 round magazine in my pack should the need for more firepower arise, though for Scouts, it's all about first round hits, not volume fire.
Plant Green Tree Branch Wood

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Leftists adopting the term "liberal" is just like them adopting the color blue to distract real Americans from their true intentions. Political correctness has cost us dearly.

At a hair over 10 pounds, my M1A Scout is hardly a Scout Rifle, but it is as handy as a 10 pound rifle can be. My favorite feature is the flush fitting 5 round magazine that allows balanced carry at the receiver just like a Garand. I carry a loaded 20 round magazine in my pack should the need for more firepower arise, though for Scouts, it's all about first round hits, not volume fire.
View attachment 482878
I love that build, and honestly will likely do something similar. What I find is I am attempting to build the Ruger Gunsite Scout into an M14/M1A. I can replicate fairly close to overall length and barrel length, but the getting down to 7lbs will be harder.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Keep dreaming.

kilrain, I’d go with a scout. Standard 16 socom sights aren’t that hot, too wide for use at range (opinions vary). I changed mine up a great bit.
the Choate stocks aren’t what they used to be, from what I hear. The folding mechanism is robust but they are not using GI fiberglass stocks any more. That stock also changes LOP.
The r e d neck painted one is 30 inches folded. the SEI stuff on the barrel adds about 1.5 inches, but it gives me a normal sight picture
View attachment 482873
View attachment 482874
View attachment 482872
Great looking builds and thank you. Totally concur on needing to be able to shoot with both eyes open. Jeff Coopers' "Art of the Rifle" drove that need home.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
I love that build, and honestly will likely do something similar. What I find is I am attempting to build the Ruger Gunsite Scout into an M14/M1A. I can replicate fairly close to overall length and barrel length, but the getting down to 7lbs will be harder.
7 pounds will be difficult.

I don't know if you're going to find it, but if somebody will give up their carbon fiber stock, it might get you closer, but that's a pretty difficult order.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
7 pounds will be difficult.

I don't know if you're going to find it, but if somebody will give up their carbon fiber stock, it might get you closer, but that's a pretty difficult order.
Agreed, I think I can get it down to 8lbs with the right stock, but that is part of the adventure of all of this.

Reactions: MuppetMeat4Me

·
Registered
242 Posts
I think with this, one of the biggest questions for me is what iron sights would be suggested. I know National Match in a snap shot situation would not be ideal. Ghost rings? Do any vendors make Ghost Ring sights as generous as the ones on the Ruger Gunsite Scout? Should I go M1 Garand Tbar?
Only a couple options regarding ghost ring sights. A standard or enlarged rear aperature, coupled with either the one-piece gas lock front sight from Smith Enterprise, or their MK14 gas lock (accepts a dovetail sight) with the XS EBR hooded front sight.

EBR Hooded Sight

When going either route, do research on which combination to order, since there's multiple configurations and heights based on barrel length.

I'm going to use the MK14 gas lock with the XS EBR sight on my 18.5" "ultimate build". That would equate to a Smith PN2013 GLFS-D-18, and an XS SR-2004S-6

·
Registered
Built Socom 16
29 Posts
Sounds like you want my Socom haha. I swapped to the SEI gas system, so I have the flexibility. I use their Good Iron muzzle brake for controlled recoil. USGI Fiberglass stock, LPVO, and a "Butt Lite" polymer buttpad to save weight.
I went with SEI's super rugged mount and rings, which add some extra weight you could save going a different route but it's very much "scout" like in it's handling. I need to find a home for my Sightmark M1 2.5x fixed power illuminated scope but I keep saying I will find a weapon to put it on. I miss my RGS.

Only reason I moved away from the Scout mounted optic is to pull some weight further back, I'm a lanky fella.

- A Jeff Cooper Acolyte

·
Registered
44 Posts
What I find is I am attempting to build the Ruger Gunsite Scout into an M14/M1A. I can replicate fairly close to overall length and barrel length, but the getting down to 7lbs will be harder.
I made a whole lot of modifications (aluminum gas block, plastic stock, plastic buttplate, lightened op rod, no rail, etc.) to my Mini 14 and got it under 7 pounds, but that's 223. Ruger built a few Mini 14 prototypes in 308 back a bunch of years ago. Seems like that's what it would take to approach 7 pounds in a Scout Rifle with a Garand style action. Hens teeth though.

Wood Art Hardwood Door Gun accessory

·
Registered
Scout Squad AA9126
754 Posts
Ruger built a few Mini 14 prototypes in 308 back a bunch of years ago. Seems like that's what it would take to approach 7 pounds in a Scout Rifle with a Garand style action. Hens teeth though.
The Ruger XGI...

Air gun Trigger Shotgun Wood Line

Air gun Trigger Shotgun Line Gun barrel

Electronic device Rectangle Wood Metal Gun accessory

Trigger Line Air gun Font Gun barrel

·
Registered
200 Posts
Great post. The XGI had some issues and needed a little more work to really be the product improved m14 we deserve. There were definitely some major improvements, but little things like the unnecessarily heavy op rod, somewhat thin barrel, mediocre sights and sight placement, heavy gas block, and no adjustable gas system just left a bit of room to improve.

Integrated sight base, a design that isn't nearly as susceptible to manufacturing issues, LOP, and balance were somewhat improved over the M14. We really need to get one of these mfgs to update the design. I would think Ruger is the unlikely candidate, but work on the XGI proves otherwise.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts