M14 Forum banner

M1A and Odd Headspace Question

5K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  canmancan 
I'm curious, Welding Rod. How much fore and aft slop is there in the bolt body to receiver when the extractor and ejector is removed? If the hammer is able to drive the bolt and cartridge forward an unusual amount upon ignition, perhaps it would account for some of the overworking of your brass, resulting in unusually "blown forward" shoulders. (It would actually be a case of "blown rearward" case heads.)

Is there normally any damage done to the rifle or shooter in a case head seperation event with our guns?
No, but can lead to a really difficult to clear malfunction as the next case tries to feed. I suppose you could etch a ring in the chamber, but I've never heard of such.

There have been broken shell extracting tools made to clear brass remnants (including just case necks) that have been made over the years in all sorts of military calibers, from 45-70 on up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.