M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shooting Port surplus with great success out of my SA M1A #161XXX with zero probs. AS far as commercial 308. Win ammo, what is safe to fire out of my M1A? I fire Remington Core Lock ammo, Winchester Power Points and other high power hunting ammo out of my Bushmaster M4 with out a problem at all. I know that these are two different annimals but can you safely fire 308. Win core lock or similar hunting ammo thru an M1A, I believe that these rounds are loaded hotter for high performance hunting purposes and also may have softer primers, let me know. I want to hunt with my M1A but I don't reload, so what are my options for a safe hunting round for my M1A?

Billy

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
I use Winchester Super X 150gr soft points.
Never had problems with those or soft points I loaded myself.

If your rifle is good on headspace to allow shooting 308, then any commercial 308 ammo should work fine.

Don't shoot light magnum 308 factory ammo though.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I know that the powder used in the core lokt (green box) is reported as being too slow for the garand. I started reloading when I bought my first garand so I reload all my hunting ammo now.

You can always contact the manufacturer of the ammo and ask them if their ammo has the proper burning rate for the M14/M1a gas system. It''s not so much that the ammo is loaded too hot for the rifle, it's that with the slower burning powders that most hunting ammo is loaded with (to have max power with the velocity) is too slow for the gas system, causing port pressure to be too high and for undue strain to put on the gas system.

Might also want to contact SA INC about this matter. Use what ever ammo they recommend. Since the M1a's have a lifetime warranty, if something breaks, contact them and have them fix it on their dime.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Straight from Springfield Armory:

"With your rifle being headspaced at 1.6315 (our tolerances stay within
SAAMI specs, 1.631 to 1.634) IT IS safe for you to shoot both commercial
.308 Win, 7.62x51 mil-surp ammo and mil-spec ammo. Maybe this
additional info will help you and/or at least be of interest to you.

We DO recommend:
Winchester Failsafe (good for hunting)
Federal Nozler Ballistic Tip (good for hunting)
Molly Coated (okay, but with this type if you start using it you should
stay with it) The gas system requires cleaning more often.

We DO NOT recommend:
Soft Point Ammo, it may or may not feed. Lead shears off the tip and
can build up in the action and cause problems.
Steel Ammo, is considered sub standard.
Stay away from Corrosive Ammo or any ammo that would stick to a magnet.
It will wear down the lands and grooves quickly.
Anything above 180 grain ammo is hard on the rifle, too hard on the
rifle. 180 can be used occasionally

Thank you for your interest in our products,"

·
Registered
42 Posts
As a newbie to the M1a I have been reading back posts. The greatest wisdom I found on ammo was load from the magazine and dont buy ammo from countries who pee in their drinking water. Sounds good to me.
I ran some 150 Gr factory Win soft points thru mine and had good results.
I didnt check the tips though. I plan to hunt deer and hog with mine so I am looking for the best factory hunting round too.

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
M1A_Owner said:
Straight from Springfield Armory:
We DO NOT recommend:
Soft Point Ammo, it may or may not feed. Lead shears off the tip and
can build up in the action and cause problems.
,"
While that is true, I always use soft points (lead tipped) for huntiing.
Of course, I clean my rifles like I should as well.

I usually have to clean up or recontour the lead portion of the tip after I eject the round if I don't fire it, because of lead scraping off when chambered.
I have rechambered the same round 6 times this year, before I discarded it for another round.
The bad part is, I never shot anything while hunting.

·
Registered
980 Posts
M1A_Owner said:
Stay away from . . . any ammo that would stick to a magnet. It will wear down the lands and grooves quickly.
Myth. Copper plated mild steel jacketed bullets (e.g. Port) do not wear down the lands at a quicker rate than copper jacketed bullets, at least not to a degree that would matter to most shooters. The Army rand tests in the '40s, I think it was, using mild steel jacketed bullets and copper jacketed bullets in machine guns to test for any increased wear. If I remember correctly, the barrels that mild steel jacketed bullets were used in only started to show a noticeable difference in wear after 100,000 rounds or more, well beyond the serice life of any barrel. Maybe someone here with "Hatcher's Notebook" can correct any of the details that I got wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.