M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next week I'll have my 3rd full length m1a. I'm trying to think of how to set it up but am running short on ideas. Background info:

#1 is a standard m1a In a sage mod 0 stock with leupold 3/9x AFG and soon to have a mini red dot

#2 is a super match in the walnut stock with a 10x fixed power scope on a sadlack mount.

So I was thinking of going simple and just putting an eotech on this one but would also like to be able to use the irons... Not a necessity though. Any suggestions? I do not want another chassis system. So no Troy sage or vltor.

Currently #3 has a walnut stock

·
Rest in Peace
794 Posts
I would have gone for a scout or SOCOM if you want to use an EOTECH
Full length M1A cries out for more precise optics...
How about at least a 1-4X 30mm Accupoint from Trijicon?
How about iron sights for this one?

BTW, I HATE the EOTECH

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a socom prefer the full length. Quite possibly might just stick with irons for a little while but I have a 308 eotech that wasn't cheap that I don't want to just sit on the shelf.

Perhaps I could put the eotech on the EBR. Keep the supermatch as is and #3 will be irons. One of each.

·
Registered
165 Posts
That sounds like the best option. At least until #4 arrives!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Mcmillian with Tanks steel bedding block. Bassett mount with Nightforce of your choice. This is fun spending other peoples money.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I'm really in love with the 18.5" rifles and have two to go along with my supermatch, but to each his own. The EOTECH is a great optic, but really shines at CQB distances and up to 200Yds. A 22" barrel would benefit from some finer optics. I have two EOTECHs on AR's and really love the field of view.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Mcmillian with Tanks steel bedding block.
I'm with Steve. You've kind of got the standard length covered. McMillan A2 or A3 would be the only thing I can think of that's a departure from what you already have. I'd still like to see it with an optic though. Just my .02 since I'm still picking up cans on the highway to get money for one. GI6

·
"Death From Above"
11,642 Posts
I put a few together over the last couple of years and my favorite two are the standard match rifle no bedding in a gi stock vented handguard and the mcmillan supermatch set up both iron nm sights. Most fun that you can have with your close on. I forgot how much of good time you can have with the irons. I did learn something with them, stop concerning yourself with the spotting scope so much and just shoot. I found that I was looking through that dam thing too much and my groups suffered because of it. Gave that up fast.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am really considering adding the Troy battlerail and putting my eotech and a magnifier. Or a vltor cluster rail. Whchever I can find cheaper.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would recommend against the Troy battlerail, simply because you do lose your rear sight with that system.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What about the vltor cluster rail? would that be better? Those are always for sale and would be about the same price as the trOy battlerail

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
i say every m1a owner should have one with just irons, but if you want a 1x red dot i say go with the ultimak rail:

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
yeah its a vltor that i have custom painted. i figured nobody has seen a brown one....not to mention the original paint job warrants a better coat of paint. i am thinking of selling it though. i have so many stocks and i more of a wood guy. i did fit a bipod attatchment to it as well as a fake selector switch. i opted for the stock w/ the selector cut out because i have heard stories of vltor stocks cracking where they fill in the selector hole.

it is a cool looking stock though. i still need to paint the buttstock brown as well as the pistol grip.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Temporary configuration of #3....

From Left to Right: M1A Supermatch, M1A in EBR w/ Leupold, and M1A standard w/ Gen 4 SA mount and 308 reticle EoTech. I won't be keeping the Eotech on that mount, but I'm going to the range tomorrow and wanted to try it out. I think I'll move that mount to the Supermatch when its scope comes in.

I DO like the eotech on the rifle, but will need to either switch to a cluster rail setup, or maybe the ultimak, we'll see what the budget allows....

I think I'm done with M1As though

·
Registered
28 Posts
yeah its a vltor that i have custom painted. i figured nobody has seen a brown one....not to mention the original paint job warrants a better coat of paint. i am thinking of selling it though. i have so many stocks and i more of a wood guy. i did fit a bipod attatchment to it as well as a fake selector switch. i opted for the stock w/ the selector cut out because i have heard stories of vltor stocks cracking where they fill in the selector hole.

it is a cool looking stock though. i still need to paint the buttstock brown as well as the pistol grip.
Interested in the vltor if you really want to sell it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts