M14 Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Here are photos of my two 1917 Rifles. The top is an Eddystone I have had for some time and the bottom is a Remington I just acquired this year. Noticed today taking the photos the Remington is slightly longer than the Eddystone. This is the first time I have had them out together side by side.

Right Side

Left Side

Rebuild mark on the Remington

Eddystone Action - it has an X engraved after the serial number

Remington Action

The Eddystone has this marking on the top of the bolt handle — it looks like a stylized USMC anyone know what that actually is? The Remington has a Winchester bolt.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Here are photos of my two 1917 Rifles. The top is an Eddystone I have had for some time and the bottom is a Remington I just acquired this year. Noticed today taking the photos the Remington is slightly longer than the Eddystone. This is the first time I have had them out together side by side.

Right Side

Left Side

Rebuild mark on the Remington

Eddystone Action - it has an X engraved after the serial number

Remington Action

The Eddystone has this marking on the top of the bolt handle — it looks like a stylized USMC anyone know what that actually is? The Remington has a Winchester bolt.

The USMC mark is from the United Shoe Machinery Company. They supplied replacement bolts for the 1917 platform after they went out of production with Eddystone, Remington, and Winchester.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I’ll also pile on here with my new-to-me Remington mix-master. I just picked this up yesterday. It’s my first 1917 but I’m a Milsurp nut so it was only a matter of time until I found one I liked. 1918 production receiver with a 9-18 Remington barrel. Rifling is still good (and the barrel cleaned up quite nicely with a little elbow grease).

This copy has mostly Remington parts, save Eddystone rear sights and complete bolt, and Winchester magazine internals and bottom plate (but not the box, which is Remington). Also interestingly, this one came with what appears to be a good condition WWII 1918 sling (BAR). Not sure how or why...no markings are apparent on the sling at this point.

This was a lend-lease at some point (some red paint left on the fore-stock) but luckily was not refinished. Exposed surface is mostly Latina at this point but under the wood is pristine original blue!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Great rifles gents, that's the only rifle I am still missing for my collection. Hopefully soon, would like a nice example when I do decide to pick one up.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Reactions: USMA-1982

·
Registered
176 Posts
Nice to see it getting back to it's original glory.
One thing though, is that sling rigged right? Something looks squirrely.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Here are a few shots of an old worn out Winchester I have. It's almost all Winchester with a W 6-17 barrel.

Cass

Excellent early Winchester example, rifles in this serial range were known to have been used in parts interchange tests and in troop trials and considered to be pre-production and/or test pieces, that’s one of the earliest ones I’ve seen; Winchester started their contact production of their M1917’s in August 1917.

Thanks for sharing!

Mac GI6

·
Registered
740 Posts
Excellent early Winchester example, rifles in this serial range were known to have been used in parts interchange tests and in troop trials and considered to be pre-production and/or test pieces, that’s one of the earliest ones I’ve seen; Winchester started their contact production of their M1917’s in August 1917.

Thanks for sharing!

Mac GI6
Winchester did start a lot earlier than the other manufacturers. All of them were idled waiting for the final specifications to be provided.

The serial number on this one was applied on May 31, 1917 according to Winchester's polishing shop records that Nick Ferris reported in his book.

Cass

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Neat early example. An advanced collector in my area found a 2 digit Winchester M1917 up in PA, but I can’t recall the serial number. I saw it once and couldn’t believe it, neither could my collector buddy who heard about and drove to PA to see it. It came home with him.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Neat early example. An advanced collector in my area found a 2 digit Winchester M1917 up in PA, but I can’t recall the serial number. I saw it once and couldn’t believe it, neither could my collector buddy who heard about and drove to PA to see it. It came home with him.
The 6-17 barrel is a real rarity. I have pictures of serial numbers 1 and 20, and both of them have 7-17 barrels.

Cass

21 - 39 of 39 Posts