M14 Forum banner

61 - 62 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
1913 mfg. RIA 'NRA Sales' M1903. It’s all correct less the very rare Lyman 49 receiver sight, the stock is original but has been sanded and refinished. The bolt is marked C13 on the front of the safety lug and the front tip of the stock has a 1/4” S struck in it. The bore is shiny, no pitting and the muzzle wear measures a 1. The stock is cut for the Lyman 49 receiver sight and it's nicely done.

The seller told me that the rifle belonged to his father in law who passed away at 90 in 2017, his father in law was from Butte, Montana and the seller believed the rifle was always in the family and not purchased second hand.

The wear indicates to me it was well loved, used and carried a lot GI6

"A 1911 Lyman flyer about the No. 48 sight indicated that a No. 49 sight was also available and that it was the same as the No. 48 except that it had no "clicks." The No. 49 was not mentioned in the 1912 flyer, and no examples have been examined." Brophy - The Springfield 1903 Rifles pg. 478

Nick Stroebel's reference book Old Gunsights notes the Lyman No. 49 "was available for only two years" and has no photo of the No. 49 receiver sight (pg. 39)

RIA barrel heat lot markings

1913 dated RIA cartouche

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Here's my Z-prefix A4 rebuild, probably upgraded to a C-stock after WWII, the stock is unmarked less a K in the magazine cutoff relief, it's a CMP papered rifle.

61 - 62 of 62 Posts