M14 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Late 1917 manufacture 1903 right on the 800,000 low number cusp, I've shot this one many, many times.

All original and correct, nice bore too...

Mac GI6
Nice rifle.

Now this might seem weird, but... Tell me about the chair.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Nice rifle.

Now this might seem weird, but... Tell me about the chair.
The chair is older than the rifle, a family heirloom that belonged to my wife's Great, Great Grandfather, we had it reupholstered about 20-years ago, it has a matching foot rest.

Meaty, what a fine example of a NM 03. I always thought it odd that they polished the sight ladder. Easy to see numbers but distracting in bright sun.
I agree and prefer them blued and white lined myself.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
The chair is older than the rifle, a family heirloom that belonged to my wife's Great, Great Grandfather, we had it reupholstered about 20-years ago, it has a matching foot rest.
Do you know anything of it's origin/maker, antique value?
I thinks it's a damned handsome chair, I've never seen one like it and am very intrigued.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Do you know anything of it's origin/maker, antique value?
I thinks it's a damned handsome chair, I've never seen one like it and am very intrigued.
Mrs. Mac tells me the chair was brought over from Italy on a boat before WWI by her Great, Great Aunt and given to my wife's Great, Great Grandfather who immigrated to the USA several years before his two sisters and a younger brother came over, he used it for his smoking chair; we got it from her Grandfather in about 1997, there are no maker markings on it anywhere.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Interesting that a chair made in Italy would have carved Indian Chiefs on the arms? Chief Sitting Pasta?

PS My mothers parents immigrated from Sicily in 1908.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I'm left wondering about the Indian heads as well, luigi...The great Northern Italian explorer Admiral Columbus, as well as the Spanish Treasure Fleets, did bring thousands of American Indians to Western Europe at the end of the 15th Century and all through the 16th, tobacco as well, so their influence was in the region, especially so in relation to tobacco.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
This pre-DCM 1920 National Match is one of the few that has survived in original condition and configuration. Noted 1903 authority John Beard has commented that the 1920 National Match 1903's could only be purchased by Officers of the Armed Forces. John reports that those rifles that weren't purchased by military officers were dismantled after the national matches and such parts as could be were reused in the assembly of the following years National Match rifles.

This rifle has a polished swept back J5 bolt w/o serial number. The rifle shows no use to my eye except for some very minor handling dings, most of the asphaultum metal coating is still present on the rifle and the front sight set screw shows no signs that it has ever been removed. The magazine cutoff's distinctive color case is still present, the rifle appears to have been in a cabinet or dry closet for its entire life as the color case is sensitive to light and fades over the years.

No star gauge stamp on the barrel's crown as the manufacture in 1920 pre-dates the practice, the bore is absolutely Mint in appearance and measurement, the throat and muzzle erosion are both just under 0 (Stone Axe and Duff's respectfully) and the headspace measures 2.050" (Clymer).

No Phil, I still haven't shot it GI6

And I still await the range report.............

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Let’s see, the rifle is like a hundred years old and never been shot! And you want him to shoot it? Are you nuts?

REN
Its been fired, few and far between but its been used as it should be used. Need I remind you there is a difference between use and abused. So yea call me nutz I want him too shoot it !

Mac knows this and its nothing new too him, I don't think if it was this rifle? It could have been a different NM03, I steered him on too.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Fred on Culvers never shot it, he had it for a few decades before me, it has been shot though, the asphaltum wear on the bolt sleeve and rear sight base below the knobs tell the tale, using the safety and adjusting the sights.

Well I ain’t going to shoot it until May, there aren’t any ranges open here, Boys GI6

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
This pre-DCM 1920 National Match is one of the few that has survived in original condition and configuration. Noted 1903 authority John Beard has commented that the 1920 National Match 1903's could only be purchased by Officers of the Armed Forces. John reports that those rifles that weren't purchased by military officers were dismantled after the national matches and such parts as could be were reused in the assembly of the following years National Match rifles.

This rifle has a polished swept back J5 bolt w/o serial number. The rifle shows light use, mostly some handling dings to the wood, most of the asphaultum metal coating is still present on the rifle and the front sight set screw shows no signs that it has ever been removed. The magazine cutoff's distinctive color case is still present, the rifle appears to have been in a cabinet or dry closet for its entire life as the color case is sensitive to light and fades over the years.

No star gauge stamp on the barrel's crown as the manufacture in 1920 pre-dates the practice, the bore is absolutely Mint in appearance and measurement, the throat and muzzle erosion are both just under 0 (Stone Axe and Duff's respectfully) and the headspace measures 2.050" (Clymer).

No Phil, I still haven't shot it GI6
What is meant by 'headspace measures 2.050" Clymer'? Normal HS for the '06 is 1.948".

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
What is meant by 'headspace measures 2.050" Clymer'? Normal HS for the '06 is 1.948".
There are two ways to measure headspace, from the datum line and from the shoulder. Clymer uses the datum line method where the SAAMI spec for .30-06 is 2.0487" MIN to 20587" MAX, this is why I noted the gauge manufacture (Clymer) that I used; the National Match M1903 rifle I displayed has a 2.050" headspace when measured from the datum line using a Clymer headspace gauge.

But you are not incorrect, US Ordinance Dept. once used the shoulder method on their headspace gauges where 1.940" is the MIN (GO gauge) to 1.950" is MAX (NO GO gauge) was the spec.. The US Government's way predates SAAMI's way but I believe the Government changed to the datum method sometime in the early 1950's; what's most important to remember is that the .30-06 chamber dimensions never changed, just the method of measuring the chamber's headspace changed.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I need to learn how to get the clear close up pictures.

What lens do you all used for the 35mm digital cameras ?

41 - 60 of 62 Posts