1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brother-in-law picked this barrel up over the weekend -
Automotive tire Bicycle part Grass Rim Cylinder

Was marked as M1903 barrel.

What can you tell me about it? What's a current approximate value?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
WWII replacement barrel made by Remington dated June of 44 with FSB.

Value mostly depends on condition which you would need to provide, throat and muzzle measurements, condition of the bore and rifling.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WWII replacement barrel made by Remington dated June of 44 with FSB.

Value mostly depends on condition which you would need to provide, throat and muzzle measurements, condition of the bore and rifling.
Thanks.

It looks to be unused and in very good condition.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
There was a guy on the CMP Forum that had a NOS one and wanted a premium for it as it was a "D-Day barrel".
I tried to explain to him that it was a replacement barrel and the date was meaningless. He didn't like that...LOL
$200 is about the going rate for NOS 03A3 barrels.....give or take.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
If both barrels are dated RA 44, then look at the muzzle. The milling of a 03 barrel is entirely different from that of a 03-A3. Also, not always but often a 03-A3 barrel will have two wide grooves rather than the four traditional grooves. This is not a guarantee. I have both two and four groove RA barrels of Remington 03-A3 rifles. Have not personally seen a 03 barrel w/ two grooves. Also on a 03 barrel there will be a "spline cut" at the rear where the sight base collar is fitted.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If both barrels are dated RA 44, then look at the muzzle. The milling of a 03 barrel is entirely different from that of a 03-A3. Also, not always but often a 03-A3 barrel will have two wide grooves rather than the four traditional grooves. This is not a guarantee. I have both two and four groove RA barrels of Remington 03-A3 rifles. Have not personally seen a 03 barrel w/ two grooves. Also on a 03 barrel there will be a "spline cut" at the rear where the sight base collar is fitted.
I saw it briefly yesterday, and don't recall a cut of that type near the rear of the barrel - so most like 03A3.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
If you get a chance look at the side of the front sight and see if you can see what looks like a dove tail...lighter color in pic. If you see something similar, won't be a color difference, it's a 1903...

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
The barrel is for an 03A3. You can see the slot for the front sight blade in the photo.

Not to throw cold water on the parade, but I remember in the mid-1970's when the old DCM was attempting to dispose of all of their stock of 03 and 03A3 parts, they sold NIW 03A3 barrels for 95 cents. You read that right, 95 cents. They were so cheap people bought them to use as tent stakes.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
And, if you note the center punch mark inside the flaming bomb, that barrel has been installed on a rifle and proof-fired, as a minimum. That makes it used, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
And, if you note the center punch mark inside the flaming bomb, that barrel has been installed on a rifle and proof-fired, as a minimum. That makes it used, in my opinion.
You sure about that? I have a 1-44 03A3 barrel still in the paper wrap and full of black cosmoline that has the punch....

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Hello,
Burt, you're good... You know your stuff and have a good eye(front sight blade).
I have one of those new ones in the wrap with the price written on it... I'll try to get a picture or two off the old laptop.

·
Registered
76 Posts
As stated above... They proof fired short chambered replacement barrels on a fixture at the factory.

The going rate is around $200 shipped for a NOS 1903a3 barrel. I've got about 8 of them purchased over the past 3 years or so.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts