M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
Can you,s help ID the former military user of this M16A1 rifle. markings on the buttstock.
it is one of a number of vietnam era A1,s that have appeared on the demilled market in europe,, maybe ex israeli or malaysian army?

thanks.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Good luck finding who it belonged to. That number is most likely a rack number. Most of our a1s were sold off around the world. A guy I work with told me he came across his old rifle in a batch headed to south america

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I was in Cabelas yesterday and was surprised to see a stack of used dissapator AR's with DPMS receivers... they had rack numbers all over them as well. Interesting. I didn't have the time to really look through them and see what all was there... :(

·
Registered
547 Posts
Putting a rack number on the M16s has been a common practice for ages the armorers used to identify whose rifle was which. In this case, someone was assigned rifle A 85.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I'm guessing all that means is it was probably Company "A" 85th rifle in inventory, these markings are not unusual in any army. My Vietnam Era Bayonet has an inventory number painted on the handle. By serial number of the gun they could tell who was issued what firearms wise. Especially back several decades when the Rifle Serial number was also your service number.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Yep

That is rifle #85 issued to "alpha" company of some unit somewhere.

I used to work the cage at Ft Leonard Wood MO...I still have nightmares of what the DI's did to the Privates who could not remember their rifle serial numbers or rack IDsDISHOUT

Reactions: charlie98

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Yep

That is rifle #85 issued to "alpha" company of some unit somewhere.

I used to work the cage at Ft Leonard Wood MO...I still have nightmares of what the DI's did to the Privates who could not remember their rifle serial numbers or rack IDsDISHOUT
So do I... I wasn't on the receiving end of that, but I saw it. I was amazed at how they threw those weapons out of the cage! Heaven forbid you dropped that thing!

Weapon #88, SN# 3360336. Never forget those numbers....

·
Registered
800 Posts
heh...

sometimes some of the DI's would select a private who needed a little bit of "extra training" and ask me to try and get em to drop the weapon..sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

I always felt like I lost a little bit of my soul anytime PV1 noobsauce missed a throw ...man they gave em pure hell.

always felt kinda neat when you handed a recruit a rifle for the 1st time....you could tell the shooters from the high school jocks...the shooters, those like us...they lit up like a kid at Christmas when you gave em their 1st rifle and made em sign the weapons card. it sorta became real for them then, like they were part of the Army for real. they would run a little bit harder that day, guess they felt like real soldiers then. I know I did.GI1

Reactions: aquajim

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
always felt kinda neat when you handed a recruit a rifle for the 1st time....you could tell the shooters from the high school jocks...the shooters, those like us...they lit up like a kid at Christmas when you gave em their 1st rifle and made em sign the weapons card. it sorta became real for them then, like they were part of the Army for real. they would run a little bit harder that day, guess they felt like real soldiers then. I know I did.GI1
I was of 2 minds about it... first I thought 'Jeepers, I've been here 2 days and they give me an automatic weapon?!?!' and, then, 'Jeepers! I got an automatic weapon!!!' GI3GI3GI3

Loved FLW, though... couldn't have asked for a better BT and AIT post.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I can remember thinking "great!! they didn't send me to Benning!" then after getting to the Ozarks in January..."crap why couldn't they have sent me to Benning!"

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
I'm guessing all that means is it was probably Company "A" 85th rifle in inventory, these markings are not unusual in any army. My Vietnam Era Bayonet has an inventory number painted on the handle. By serial number of the gun they could tell who was issued what firearms wise. Especially back several decades when the Rifle Serial number was also your service number.
I'm a bit lost on that. Could you explain? Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts