M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading about these on another forum.... I have a set of surplus masks from the old days but the filters, while unopened, are long expired. I no longer live in an area that's in danger of chemical spills etc but it would be nice to have working masks for the totally unforeseen. When I've asked those as use the M16 models where I can get replacement filters, they always assume it's gonna be easy but then come up empty. Does anybody know where you can buy them?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Reading about these on another forum.... I have a set of surplus masks from the old days but the filters, while unopened, are long expired. I no longer live in an area that's in danger of chemical spills etc but it would be nice to have working masks for the totally unforeseen. When I've asked those as use the M16 models where I can get replacement filters, they always assume it's gonna be easy but then come up empty. Does anybody know where you can buy them?
Sweets, do you mean the masks like the ones used at Kent State over 40yrs ago? With the "chipmunk" filters?

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweets, do you mean the masks like the ones used at Kent State over 40yrs ago? With the "chipmunk" filters?
I'm not at home and have been told I'm possibly misremembering the model #, which is, probably, "M17." But anyway, the standard NATO mask from circa 2002 or so, and the current canisters are believed to be compatible. Two filter inlets so a new canister can be installed without taking the mask off or holding your breath. Very superior product, actually.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I'm not at home and have been told I'm possibly misremembering the model #, which is, probably, "M17." But anyway, the standard NATO mask from circa 2002 or so, and the current canisters are believed to be compatible. Two filter inlets so a new canister can be installed without taking the mask off or holding your breath. Very superior product, actually.
It sounds like you're describing the M40/42 models because I think the M17 uses the internal filters in the cheek area. I think you are looking for the NATO C2 Mask canister (4240-01-119-2315), which is pretty universal. They've been running around $10 or $12 on a good day.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You are probably referring to the M17, not M16. The M17 series of masks (M17, M17A1 w/ added drink tube and resuscitation valve, M17A2 with resuscitation valve removed) uses proprietary M13 filters that fit inside the cheeks. They are commonly found on eBay or milsurp retail websites:
http://www.armygasmasks.com/M13A2-Gas-Mask-Filters-p/aaagas-76.htm
For $30 a set, I would highly recommend upgrading to a mask that accepts a standard 40mm filter. The last filters for the M17 masks were manufactured in 1993, if memory serves correct. While debatable, the commonly accepted filter life is 10 years sealed in packaging, meaning that all the available filters are past their due. However, it is my belief that if a disaster were to strike, and all you had available were expired filters, they would still play a major role in helping you survive. The surplus store I work at still has M13A2 filters available for purchase. It is either $10 or $20 a set; I can't remember off the top of my head. If you are in dire need, please send me a PM, and I will see what I can do about shipping out a set or two to a fellow forum member.

The US military has moved on past the M40 series of masks and onto the M50 series. As such, the "outdated" M40s are becoming more common on eBay and other auction websites. Without going into political detail, it is unlikely that we will see any more gas masks available on the commercial surplus market. The M40 offers many advantages over the M50 masks, in that it takes standardized filters, and the filter is offset to one side to allow for a better cheekweld. While there are many other options out there, I find the M40 masks to be one of the best. They typically go for around $100, but can be found for as little as $50 a pop, if you keep an eye out on auction websites.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts