M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seen an M14 twice in the Kelley's Heroes movie.

First time at a distance when the bridging crew sargent argues with kelly that it will take 5 hours to build a bridge and kelly says he's not waiting that long. Then kelly's Platoon loads up on oddballs last sherman and begin to cross the bridge. If you look carefully as the soldiers climb up on the shurman there is a soldier right up close to the right rear corner of the turret riding on the back behind the turret...Aint that a m14?

and later when they are in the town across the street from the german billeting "The brown building", one of the soldiers mounts a rifle grenade on the muzzle of ....an m14 and later after he fires it it is clearly an m14.

As crapgame says "you win a cookie"

·
Rest in Peace Federal
10,217 Posts
I'll watch next time but it shouldn't be since it is WWII. M1 time. GI2GI2

-

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
When I first read this I thought "no way......I've seen this movie too many times not to notice."

Nothing on TV tonight so......I just finished watching it and I think you're right mike 16!
Every time is brief, but its there. The "Fisher" character is the guy with it. Same guy Crapgame says "you win a cookie " to.
First saw it as he climbed onto the Sherman at the bridge scene. Box magazine, and the gas cylinder, FS with bayonet lug ain't no BAR.
I saw it when they were moving into town, slung over his shoulder while he is carrying tripod for the .30 cal.
Saw it when he fired the rifle grenade
Saw it when he and Big Joe walked up as Oddball was sitting down drinking wine and eating cheese.
I'm surprised I've never noticed before. Once they go for the gold you got a couple .30 cal. machine guns, sniper rifle, one guy (red bandana) with a BAR and Thompson, and everybody else with a Thompson.

·
"Death From Above"
11,641 Posts
Oh boy you just gave me an excuse to watch it. Hope it's on netflix. It's there I just ordered it. If it's there the continuity guy was sleeping that day.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont want to be banned from this site for sayin this but... the kid in the bell tower has a mosine negant scoped rifle...

You get a cookieITMFND

Ya know the movie was made in Jugoslovakia back in 1970... wonder where they got an m14 from. and what about aaaalllllll that military equipment,,,,U.S. Anyway

·
Registered
778 Posts
I did notice the Mosin-Nagant also. The scope and mount was the first give-away. I believe the country and the movie was sort of anti-war and anti-military at the time. Probably wasn't going to hire any type of military advisor to make things correct. Also the movie M*A*S*H came out about the same time which followed along in the same lines. I'm glad PATTON came out around then also to set the movie moguls straight.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I did notice the Mosin-Nagant also. The scope and mount was the first give-away. I believe the country and the movie was sort of anti-war and anti-military at the time. Probably wasn't going to hire any type of military advisor to make things correct. Also the movie M*A*S*H came out about the same time which followed along in the same lines. I'm glad PATTON came out around then also to set the movie moguls straight.
You are correct, Kelly's Heroes is an anti war movie. There are lots of errors in the movie, check out IMDB for the details. With all that said, it is still one of my favorite movies.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Well, the M-14 is clearly wrong, but the Germans did use captured weapons. Russian submachine guns, Browning Hi-Powers, Browning model 1922s', Polish Radoms, Austrian Steyrs, and others were used. I don't have a problem with Nagants, but like others said, this movie wasn't known for accuracy-and if a Nagant was used, I'm sure it was a fluke. BTW, I haven't seen this flick in years.

Charlie

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
This is one of my favorite movies and I've seen it a hundred times and have it on tape. I've freeze-framed it almost as many times. It's not an M-14 , but an M-1 carbine with an M-8 grenade launcher.

Yeah , the squads sniper is using a M-N , but that's not too far fetched as they could have picked one up. They were well regarded as the 1903A4 really wasn't that accurate.

·
Registered
123 Posts
+1 on the carbine. I thought the shot from the back of the tank just looked out of proportion somehow. Like the rifle was too small or the guy had really huge hands. Thank God for the zoom button.
I don't think I recall ever seeing a carbine with a grenade launcher mounted in any movie before.

·
Registered
179 Posts
This is one of my favorite movies...an I'm watching it right now on tape while web surfing!!!!! I'll watch for those spots an see...the sniper guy I noticed earlier that what he had from the beginning of the show wasn't a 1903....I thought maybe a 1917...?....but come to think of it, it could be a Mosin....real Shermans an Tigers though.

Just finished watching....ya thats a carbine for sure...the sniper rifle looks like the carbine mosin..but no ramrod coming out from the front, an the bolt comes out an then takes a 90 degree bend straight down....don't the mosins bolt come straight out...?..looks like a put together parts gun actually...never shows him operating the bolt.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
The M-N sniper rifles did have a bent down bolt handle. It was longer too.

·
Registered
179 Posts
not to be a debbie downer but the tigers are a russian t34 conversion to the best of my factbase. you can tell by the roadwheels.
"Stop with all those negative waves baby."......hey fellow Irishman, I just did a search an your right...They took measurements of the real Tiger I in a museum an built them, very good, on T34's chassis. Two of them were used in Saving Private Ryan...they had been stored in England but now sold an one may of come to the U.S. My boss at worked is going to be bummed when I tell him.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so the grenade launcher is a m1 carbine? but other scenes show a 14? the flask hider makes me think it was a 14

·
Registered
179 Posts
so the grenade launcher is a m1 carbine? but other scenes show a 14? the flask hider makes me think it was a 14
Correct....each time I thought it might be a M14, I paused an checked an each time it was the Carbine, I could even see the bayonet bracket attached also.....50" tv comes in handy.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts