M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As far as rules and winning, it's going to be as it was, and the only thing I'm adding to it is offering prizes, having verified with management that it's okay.

For this quarter (As I work through over-stocked inventory, I might dial back quantities), of the varieties of coffee mugs offered (pictured below).

-Winner gets first choice and the Title. I can draw you a medal in MS Paint if you want to hang it up on one of your Albums, since awards went away.

-Runner up gets second choice.

-Since the traditional seem to dominate in mixed company, 'modern' entry with the most votes (if not a winner or runner up) gets third choice. How's that for affirmative action?

-If there are two more more remaining entries that didn't get a mug selection opportunity, we'll do a drawing guessing a pre-selected number that I will disclose to a moderator before we take guesses, and winner of that drawing gets a selection among the variety that is left.

SO... HERE IS DA RULES!

The Firing Line Quarterly M14 Competition

This quarterly competition will be opened to all participants and all variations of rifle classes, we will no longer have a “Traditional” or “Modern” category, and all rifles will be eligible to enter in the competition.
Nominations will be opened from the beginning of the month of each quarter and will remain open for 30 days, voting will open on the first day after nominations close and will remain open for a period of 30 days. The winner at the end of each quarter as well as the second runner up will both be eligible for the final M14 of the year vote. A total of 8 rifles will be eligible for the M14OTY top award.

• First quarter, Q1: 1 January — 31 March (90 days or 91 days in leap years)
• Second quarter, Q2: 1 April — 30 June (91 days)
• Third quarter, Q3: 1 July — 30 September (92 days)
• Fourth quarter, Q4: 1 October — 31 December (92 days)

What determines M14 of the Month/Year

Voting for M14 Of the Year will be held at the end of the calendar year , The winner of each quarter as well as the next runner up will be eligible for the final voting for the title. A total of 8 rifles will be eligible for the award.
Nominations will be reset at the beginning of the New Year, which would be the month of January. If your entry wins in any quarter during the calendar year ,you will not be eligible to re-enter until the following January regardless of when you won.

Nomination Guidelines

Official nominations can only be made by the rifle’s primary owner.
If you’d like to see a specific member’s rifle in the competition, you can make an unofficial nomination, but it must be officially nominated by the primary owner. For example,
-“I’d like to see Member A’s rifle in this month’s competition!” – Member B
-“I nominate my rifle for this month’s competition.” – Member A
If you are unofficially nominated and do not want to be in the competition, there is nothing required on your end, although a posted declination would help the process.
Only ONE unofficial nomination is permitted per member.
Official nominations must be seconded by at least one other user. Nominations will be voided if it does not receive a second nomination.

Primary Nomination Guidelines

When making a primary nomination, please post the following:
-URL Link from the album of your M14 rifle.
-Short description of what makes your M14 stand out.
-Reason for nomination that will motivate others to second the nomination.

Profile/Album pages

In the profile page, create a new album dedicated to your rifle and upload some pictures showcasing your rifle. For your photo album to be eligible, only pictures of one rifle should be in the album. If you need assistance uploading photos or creating an album, do not hesitate to ask our community or PM myself.
Members also enjoy reading about what parts, receiver manufacturer, any special information that would make your entry stand out against all others be included in the album description.

Nomination Guidelines

When making a secondary nomination, please ensure that you use the same post for the maximum of 3 allowed seconds. Any seconds not located in your first seconding post will not be counted. Please also ensure that you quote the primary nomination post that you are seconding in your post. You can use the Multi-Quote option if you are nominating multiple M14’s. This is to make sure your secondary nominations are counted. All secondary nominations should include the word “second” or “+1”.

Nomination Timeline

Nominations open on the first day quarterly and will close on the end of the month.

Voting Timeline

Voting will begin on the first day of the month, following the last day of nominations and end on the last day of the month.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM myself, or you can look at last month's nomination thread as an example.

If anyone feels the rules are unfair or should be adjusted, please PM myself before the nomination period is over.

You are nominating for M14 of the quarter –

Voting will be open from May 1st until the May 31st

The following M14/M1A's were nominated with necessary secondary nominations and photo album URL's:

1. Navy M14 Sniper Security Rifle (SSR) replica (Random Guy)
2. BULA Defense Systems M14 Standard Rifle (The Once-Ler)
3. Nominate your rifle!
4. Nominate your rifle!
5. Nominate your rifle!
6. Nominate your rifle!
7. Nominate your rifle!
8. Nominate your rifle!
9. Nominate your rifle!
10. Nominate your rifle!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Thank You MM4M for taking on the management of the M14 quarterly contest! I have something in the works that I will enter later this month.
Scout

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Okay, I'll nominate one of my recent projects for a prospective coffee mug.
Navy Sniper Security Rifle (SSR) replica.

This M14 SSR replica build represents a somewhat uncommon variant of an M14 that was used initially as a semi-automatic sniper rifle by U.S. Navy SEALs/Naval Special Warfare (NSW) personnel from roughly 1996-2000, and were subsequently utilized by the Navy Expeditionary Combat Command as a Designated Marksman rifles until around 2011. It was over 3 years in the making...but it shoots well.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Okay, I'll nominate one of my recent projects for a prospective coffee mug.
Navy Sniper Security Rifle (SSR) replica.

This M14 SSR replica build represents a somewhat uncommon variant of an M14 that was used initially as a semi-automatic sniper rifle by Navy SEALs/Naval Special Warfare (NSW) personnel from roughly 1996-2000, and were subsequently utilized by the Navy Expeditionary Combat Command as a Designated Marksman rifles until around 2011. It was over 3 years in the making...it shoots well.
I will second Random Guys Navy SSR replica.
Scout

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Thanks, I did a lot of research on this project via correspondence with Navy/Crane folks, and I hope that my longish post will "add to the body of knowledge" re Navy-built M14 rifles. Fwiw, Lee Emerson incorporated my SSR related research/edits into his latest book: M14 Rifle History and Development, Vol.1, 6th edition,( 2019). So, this pet project was a collaborative, multi-year journey...

·
Premium Member
7,630 Posts
Fantastic, going to start taking lots of pictures and putting together albums. Somebody has to stop the aristocratic advances of Random Guy and fight for the common man!

MORE THAN A HOBBY, A PASSION!

REN

·
Premium Member
7,630 Posts
Very funny. In my best 'aristocratic' voice: I must say that men are somewhat visual creatures and thus pictures are always a most welcome addition to showcase one's pet project.
In my best 'common man' voice: More pictures, more pictures please(!).
I am glad you liked that, as I thought it was pretty funny as well!

Here's to the common man ie fly over states where the people make America great, may he prevail in a society that has placed such undue importance on formal education!

We all can't be doctors, nor would we want to be!

Now if I could just find some pictures of my M14 collection?

MORE THAN A HOBBY, A PASSION!

REN

ps MuppetMeat4Me, thanks for taking over the M14OTQ!

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I smell a reality show cooking. We have celebrities. We have personal drama. We just need a film crew.

I would encourage people to offer stories about the rifles with their albums. They don't have to rise to the level of in depth historical research. Reasons of personal inspiration are good.

I would guess that a lot of guys would appreciate hearing when somebody got their uncle's rifle, how they met their first M14 in the military, saw it in a movie, if they bought it themselves, why they picked what they did, why they added what they did, didn't choose to keep certain changes, whatever. It could be, "I saw this in a gun store, it looked different, I asked to see it, and it felt good in my hands, so I went with it and fell in love." You know, good stories.

I think fiction is finetoo, so long as it's obviously fictional or disclosed. If this is the rifle that you received from the Imperial Galactic Emperor for exemplary service in the Mush Mines of Melphoria, tell that story, just clue us in about it happening in an dimension other than what the rest of us can expect to experience. It can't be April 1st everyday and stay civil, after all. A whole wave of us might waste the rest of our lives trying to enlist in the Imperial Galactic Mining Service, and only accumulate a life of disappointment because of it, and that wouldn't be good.

P.S.S. to Ren, I am grateful to be able to do so. Pappy1600 contributed a long run of one of my favorite events, and I missed the show and tell that it brought out. It was called a 'beauty contest', and I don't think that's necessarily wrong, but it's also a foot in the door to a campfire gathering, where you might hear stories you never thought to ask about, but have been cooking and looking for a chance to hop out of the pot. Random Guy's entry and superbly illustrates the potential bonus. But if somebody has something that touches on their service with the Imperial Galactic Empire, I'd like to hear that too.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bumping for entries! I've got too many coffee mugs. For this quarter at least, to help and celebrate... whatever you want, Winner is going to get his choice of the available selection, runner up is going to get second choice of what's left, the leading 'modern' entry, if there is one, will get to pick after that, and then if there is more than one entry left, we can do a drawing for selection among what is left.

I shall update with pictures of the new stuff that I realize now I kind of perhaps... well, I get exuberant. But that's okay so long as we're having fun. :p

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Pictures of Incentives to choose from...

Skipper's Lil' Buddy Original Collection

I have everything except "My Rifle Isn't Illegal, It's Just Undocumented." I think I traded both of those to Bolt Action for 40,000 primers. Remember, purple means satire, don't get angry that you missed out. There is an alternative versions available though, so Keep Calm and...

The Limited Classic Edition Collection, with the favorite standard profile M14/M1a.

The Blackfeather collection...

These are NOT AVAILABLE IN STORES!

Winning one of these exclusive mugs would put you in very elite company, and very popular at work, or at the gym. You can order them directly from Handmade by Droids, but they're off the regular online menu, and it's a lot more expensive to just buy one or two at a time compared to getting one for free... But I encourage you to go over my head and spend money with them anyway. :)

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hint hint... you have to start by nominating your rifle. It isn't hard, or even that scary. Up to 3 out of 4 mugs can be won this quarter without even actually getting the most votes.
You can even lobby your friends to vote for you. Show off your ID if you want.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Hint hint... you have to start by nominating your rifle. It isn't hard, or even that scary. Up to 3 out of 4 mugs can be won this quarter without even actually getting the most votes.
You can even lobby your friends to vote for you. Show off your ID if you want.
MM4M, I’ll enter one. Let me stage the garage with some camo netting and other paraphernalia and I’ll fix up an album... I’m prolly still voting for Random Guy though. Lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts