M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
What's the rarest/most disirable M14E2 butt plate between Apex and MTC?

I know all of the M14E2 butt plates are difficult to find. Which one between the Apex (earliest type?) or the MTC would be the rarest/most desirable type to find?

·
Premium Member
7,947 Posts
They are all rare and hard to come by, that's why they bring so much. Even the repros are hard to find.

I would say Apex might be a little harder to find, but value really is in the condition, all things being equal the Apex might be a little more rare.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Was looking at my E2 stocks today and it appears that there is a plunger and spring on both sides of the aluminum bracket that act as positive stops for the flapper. In the first picture of the Apex assembly I posted its under the little round raised thing thats at the 9 o'clock position of the flapper. I can also see it on the MTC too. I have no idea exactly what it looks like as I can only see the edge of the plunger moving as I raise and lower the flappers and I'm sure not going to try and and tear apart the bracket and flapper .

·
Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Interesting info TNW, but I gotta say this. I have an illustrated "group L" page regarding the M14E2/A1 stock and all it's parts. This page shows FSNs as well as part numbers. It does not show any kind of detent or spring device of any kind.
Now I have to go check my 3 stocks with original hardware.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Interesting info TNW, but I gotta say this. I have an illustrated "group L" page regarding the M14E2/A1 stock and all it's parts. This page shows FSNs as well as part numbers. It does not show any kind of detent or spring device of any kind.
Sounds like a page from The M14 Collector's Manual by Thomas A. Buss.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
The M14E2/M14A1 hinged butt plate assembly consisted of two MAJOR parts, the bracket (part number 7792062) and the rest (part number 7791683). AFAIK, the following contractors made this assembly:

Apex Metal Stamping Co., Inc. (Brooklyn, NY - APEX) - rest with stops
Argo Development Corporation (Inwood, NY - ARGODEVCORP, 17808) - rest without stops
Bristol Dynamics, Inc. (Brooklyn, NY - 90997)
County Mach (County Machine & Tool?) - rest with stops
E. T. & D. (E. T. & D.)
MTC (MTC) - rest without stops
S. T. & D. (S. T. & D.)
Spiral Tool Co. (then Woodside, NY - 02108) - rest with stops

The rest with stops is what was last specified for the M14A1.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Many E2 stocks that were stored had cosmoline applied to the metal butt plate and the cosmoline dissolved the rubber butt pad and turned it into a melted rubber goo.

Out of 20 Walnut E2 stocks i had only 2 had the rubber butt pads intact.....the rest were so melted that only the metal, internal reinforcing plates remained.

It is an interesting fact that the stocks themselves have always been more plentiful than the hardware for them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.