M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an E2 stock that has aftermarket (Non USGI) parts. I am not concerned with the front grip as much as I am with the Butt. Has anyone ever taken the rubber pad and the metal prone piece off and retrofit a "normal" prone piece off a typical stock?

My issue is this, as I cleaned my rifle stock, I may have been a bit too thorough and instead of staying closed, the prone piece (metal flap) swings open a small bit. When put in the upward position it stays, but not like my SOCOM Synthetic stock, which has a positive stop, and when closed does not open. Perhaps some pics would better suit this thread, but I do not have any right now. I know that USGI pieces are made from unobtainium or else I would just replace it and move along. Thanks for any help,

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
The standard butt plate uses springs and a ball bearing with a detent to hold the plate open and closed.

I can take a look at mine when I get home and hopefully get a better idea of what you are experiencing.

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
I checked my E2 this evening and it seems that there are no detents as in the standard butt plate. It almost feels like the butt plate on my E2 is friction fit. But the E2 flipper plate does stay put in any position.

I don't know if this was of any help.

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I hate it when my flipper plate gets floppy.GI3

You sometimes have to dismount and "resquare" the ears. Make sure the detents have good alignment and contact

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been thinking about it, and the more I think about it, I am afraid of cutting and hacking into the stock! I couldn't imagine if I make a wrong move, my stock would be useless. It does help to know that the other E2 stock flipper plates are "friction fit." I guess I should be happy that although it appears loose in other positions, it still stays put in the upright position! GI2

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Since I didn't want to cut my stock , I made an aluminum adaptor (stepped one side , flat on the other) and mounted a Pachmayr rubber recoil pad. One day I'll get it black anodized.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Since I didn't want to cut my stock , I made an aluminum adaptor (stepped one side , flat on the other) and mounted a Pachmayr rubber recoil pad. One day I'll get it black anodized.

Now picture that same 'loomnum adapter, edge routed to take a Garand buttplate...If I can get my neighbor with the cnc mill unbusy, I'll knock a few out.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Now picture that same 'loomnum adapter, edge routed to take a Garand buttplate...If I can get my neighbor with the cnc mill unbusy, I'll knock a few out.

Don't know about that. The -E2 butt is longer than the M1 and a different profile. There's no 'hollow' in the -E2 stock so the trapdoor in the M1 plate is useless.

Ya could just checker the aluminum.

But the rubber pad stays where ya put it.

FWIW , the aluminum plate is held to the stock with the original -E2 buttplate screws. The pad is held to the aluminum with 3 smaller screws and contact adhesive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts