M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an good photos of M14 SAWs in Vietnam? Can be just a normal M14 Auto with the a M2 bipod, an M15 rifle, or a M14e2/a1. Would be greatly appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sadly, the only photo I have of a full auto M14 on pods is the black & white one which I used to create my avatar. The rifle at my feet is my baby, with M2 bipod and a regular stock (not the E2 pistol grip one) which I carried on my first tour in Nam. The image is blurry at best. My buddy, who took the picture, was a poor photographer, and cut my head off, as well as the bottom of the pod extension legs.

Also, I may be a bit confused on the term "SAW", since I've been out of the Corps for 40+ years. Are there three SAWs per squad, or just one?
I ask because full auto M14s were Fireteam level automatic weapons, giving a full T.O. squad three automatic rifles at the squadleader's disposal.
Just curious.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Almost looks like a configuration used by paratroops, with the folding buttstock.
Where did you get it and how much did it set you back?

·
"Death From Above"
11,560 Posts
I found it on a Canadian Forum militarysurplus.com while searching for an M2 Bipod. Its in Lee Emersons book. There were 98 made back in 1978 buy a retired armorer living off base at Ft Benning. I got it as a package deal with an M2 pod the E2 stock and a nice regular stock. I paid 900 canadian for the lot. I have only seen one other and it was here on the forum. Surprisingly enough the gent was from upstate NY. It was missing a couple of screw but for the most part it was all there. Its a little different than the ones Reese Surplus were making and the BM59 stock. I could not pass it up. I know its not an issue item but its a small piece of the history of the rifle and it was a collector thing for me. Sadly, i cannot take it to the range here in NY. Its EVIL and may hurt someone. It is neat though. I am going tomorrow to LRB. i am building another action for this stock. It will be a standard M14SA with an 18.5 medium weight Krieger 1/10 CM barrel. It will be 3.5 inches shorter. I will have a regular stock for the action to shoot at the range. Its a shame isn't it?

·
"Death From Above"
11,560 Posts
One of these days I am going to smuggle all the evil crap I have upstate to my brother in law land and go postal on some targets. Ill have to make it an annual event.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
One of these days I am going to smuggle all the evil crap I have upstate to my brother in law land and go postal on some targets. Ill have to make it an annual event.
I had the same/similar idea in 1984, and we've been doing an annual "anything goes" shoot every year since then, on the MLK weekend, in north central Wi. Sometimes a little cold, and often lots of snow, but at least most of the nearby neighbors are indoors with windows closed, so the noise issue is reduced. I'm talking a 3 day event where as much as 6K rounds of ammo are expended with a large variety of small arms and a few belt feds and NFA weapons... GI1

Hope yours turns out to be just as "fun" as ours have been.

Reactions: 82nd ABN

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Those are purdy! Thanks for sharing 82nd!

Reactions: 82nd ABN

·
"Death From Above"
11,560 Posts
Your welcome.

6000 rounds sounds like a lot of fun to me. I'll be happy just shooting a couple of hundred from the stocks I can't take to the range. I'm not sure he still has one but Claude from ra parts had a birch e2 stock a few months ago if anyone is interested. I passed, I wanted a walnut and then I found that Canadian forum.

·
Premium Member
7,670 Posts
I know this one is 10,00 miles off target and its setting is a little more peaceful but this is my clone.

Here is a little twist on the E2 Stock I picked up last summer.
Sir,

That E-2 of yours is the bomb!!!! I mean it is bad axx hot!

If it were a woman, it would be Raquel Welch, Pamela Anderson!

No M14 collection is complete without an E-2, they are the sexyest!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Best VIDEO footage is here:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrWqf3CQrDY[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-v9jB1eyaE[/ame]

HEAVY use of M14A1 (see FM 23-8, 1974). M14E2 became the M14A1 in the early 1960's.

M15 rifle SAW was NEVER adopted. It was given a type-classification on 1 May 1957, about the time the M14 was adopted, but NEVER produced. Declared obsolete in 1959 or so. It was never even made.

See FM 23-8 for the different versions of the M14 that were OFFICIALLY adopted.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Thanks for that video! The M14E1/A1 was obviously issued and used, in some numbers! Not too surprisingly, I did not see one in use that had the sling properly rigged to put cantilevered downforce through the front grip, to help control muzzle climb. Very hard on the front grip latch and the two piece pistol grip, according to Ordnance repair types - sometimes it caused damage. Later manuals had very explicit instructions of how to use the M14A1.

Probably just handed out, without manuals or instruction - like the XM16 was - and thus not all of the breakage and/or bad results were the fault of the equipment. I read it was common to crack/break the dovetailed together pistol grip if used in full auto without the comp and sling correctly installed. Still, should have kept the NVA/VS's heads down. Sounded like everyone had his own M60 from the other side? CC

·
Premium Member
7,670 Posts
Those early E-2 walnut stocks made by SA. are hard to find today, just over a thousand were made, I wonder how many survived and are still in working order?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Building an m14-e2 now, just missing a e2 brake and sling, I'll try to post picks when I'm done.

Reactions: XM25Ren

·
Premium Member
7,670 Posts
Building an m14-e2 now, just missing a e2 brake and sling, I'll try to post picks when I'm done.
Man thats sounds great, I have the sling but can't seem to find the compensator. I have a nice reproduction and that will have to do until I can get the real thing.

Please post pictures when you get the chance.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Man thats sounds great, I have the sling but can't seem to find the compensator. I have a nice reproduction and that will have to do until I can get the real thing.

Please post pictures when you get the chance.
Mine has been complete since...oh, 2000:

I can say from experience: firing my TRW-parts M1A (made OCT 1990; I have a dummy selector switch and connector connected to the stock) in this guise in the prone is not bad. The compensator helps.
Stock: Fred's 1998
Compensator: Fulton Armory 1998
Double-hook sling: Gunshow 1998 I think, maybe Fulton Armory
M2 Bipod: Gunshow 1997 in Fairbanks, AK (it is the REAL thing, not Chinese JUNK..paid $70 cash for it)
Not shown, Cleaning Kit that comes in a nylon bag that folds up and tied together with attached straps: Gunshow where I spotted the rifle: Austin, TX OCT 2000.

I picked up the rifle on Election Day 2000. The shop in Austin (who had shown the rifle the month before when I spotted it) told me to NOT go to the GWB election party later that day. "You would not believe who we have sold ammo to, etc..." referencing the security for the party in front of the Texas State Capitol building. Of course, it rained hard that night...and the hanging chads in FlorIDah...you know the rest of the story. I paid $1400 for the rifle....$150 more for the NIB one I bought in AK in 1996, and had rebuilt to match spec in early 1997. This one is 7.62mm heel marked.

·
Premium Member
7,670 Posts
Mine has been complete since...oh, 2000:

I can say from experience: firing my TRW-parts M1A (made OCT 1990; I have a dummy selector switch and connector connected to the stock) in this guise in the prone is not bad. The compensator helps.
Stock: Fred's 1998
Compensator: Fulton Armory 1998
Double-hook sling: Gunshow 1998 I think, maybe Fulton Armory
M2 Bipod: Gunshow 1997 in Fairbanks, AK (it is the REAL thing, not Chinese JUNK..paid $70 cash for it)
Not shown, Cleaning Kit that comes in a nylon bag that folds up and tied together with attached straps: Gunshow where I spotted the rifle: Austin, TX OCT 2000.

I picked up the rifle on Election Day 2000. The shop in Austin (who had shown the rifle the month before when I spotted it) told me to NOT go to the GWB election party later that day. "You would not believe who we have sold ammo to, etc..." referencing the security for the party in front of the Texas State Capitol building. Of course, it rained hard that night...and the hanging chads in FlorIDah...you know the rest of the story. I paid $1400 for the rifle....$150 more for the NIB one I bought in AK in 1996, and had rebuilt to match spec in early 1997. This one is 7.62mm heel marked.
Now thats what I'm talkin about, that thing is purtier than Marilyn Monroe and damn near as good looking as Amy Adams.

Thanks for posting!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts