M14 Forum banner

M14dan,have you tried

769 2
cast in the Garand? I would like to find a load for it as well as my M1A. I'd imagine that the RCBS 170 Sil. would work well in the M1 also.
Thanks, Rick
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
572 Posts
The bullets number is rcbs-165-sil. When it is checked and lubed it weighes 175 with wheelweights. It is working great in a freinds m-1. I don't have one anymore. I wish I did though. He uses a couple more grains of 4895 than I do for the m-14 to get 2000 fps but it shoots almost as good. His barrel is a little rough so it leads some. It shoots fine though. If you got a good clean unpitted barrel Go for it. In the 308 m-14 I am using 30 grains IMR 4895. No fillers or anything. I am seating the bullets kinda on the short side too ride now but it is doing moa groups so I never really messed with my initial seating depths. I am about to though. Just make sure the gas checks aren't seated past the bottom of the neck.
You may want to experiment with win 748 also. I did and was having great luck but I ran out of it and went back to 4895. Don't ever use pistol powder loads that are so commonly found for cast bullets in these rifles!!!
If you want to try some bullets before you buy a mould let me know by email and we can work out something. I will be making another big batch sometime this month.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
M14dan, thanks for the info. Am interested in trying a few, will try to e-mail you for the particulars. Seems I can't log in....keeps telling me invalid name or password. Might have to re-register.
Thanks, Rick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.