M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Very Old Salt
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a few questions about installing a walnut hand guard, I just ordered the springfield one form brownells. Something about that look is just too attractive...

1) Can engine paint be sprayed on the inside to prevent charring?

2) Will the handguard clip and front band be sufficient enough to keep the hand guard from contacting the stock once it's been spaced?

3) Any other issues other than some minor fitting that I should be aware of with them?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
On number 2; the clip should keep the back half off the stock than the front half should be off the stock by the front band. you might still have to sand the guard to get the proper clearence, just drag it across a sanding block a few times and check for clearence.

Now on to number 1; it is wood so it should take paint, but I would do the clearence first than paint.

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,606 Posts
With a wooden hand guard, you are going to be holding in more heat round the rifle barrel. With the standard USGI thin plastic hand guard you can dissipate more heat from the barrel. Even more with the vented/slotted hand guard. After firing on the rifle range in the desert, my vented hand guard cools down the barrel very quickly.

DI5

Reactions: TheShooter

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Had a few questions about installing a walnut hand guard, I just ordered the springfield one form brownells. Something about that look is just too attractive...

1) Can engine paint be sprayed on the inside to prevent charring?
Yes you could paint but unless your laying done some serious sustained cover fire your probably not going to char the handguard, if your hot enough to char the handguard your probably decreasing the life of the barrel by a lot.

2) Will the handguard clip and front band be sufficient enough to keep the hand guard from contacting the stock once it's been spaced?
Both my walnut handguards are held in place very tight with the front band and clip, they are tighter then the FG one because they are thicker where they go into the front band end.

3) Any other issues other than some minor fitting that I should be aware of with them?I had no fitting or clearance issues at barrel but I do have some fitting to do where it meets the stock along the bottom of handguard, I would like about an 1/8" inch between stock and handguard.

·
Very Old Salt
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well, received the hand guard today from Brownell's. Contrary to their 'expert' response to a question previously asked on it, it is only contoured to fit standard barrels. The hand guard could have held itself on if I had pressed it down against the barrel, although I probably would have cracked it too (I'm using a medium weight NM barrel). Good thing I have a friend who's gonna take it off my hands.

I guess the silver lining to this is that it was a Boyd's product, seems Springfield must have bought a load of them. Maybe I'm wrong here but I don't like the idea of the hand guard being too snug to the barrel and op rod guide.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
With a wooden hand guard, you are going to be holding in more heat round the rifle barrel. With the standard USGI thin plastic hand guard you can dissipate more heat from the barrel. Even more with the vented/slotted hand guard. After firing on the rifle range in the desert, my vented hand guard cools down the barrel very quickly.

DI5
I agree with XXIV Corps. the Wood handguards are good for show but not anything else. There is a reason The military went from wood to Fiberglass vented handguards then to the stronger Solid fiberglass.

I couldn't even imagine using a wooded handguard my barrel gets smoking hot with rapid fire and I am using a vented handguard!

·
Very Old Salt
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There's my dilemma. I would attempt to remove some wood from the inside to accommodate my barrel, but I think it would compromise the handguard. No sense is making something that is relatively fragile even more fragile.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
There's my dilemma. I would attempt to remove some wood from the inside to accommodate my barrel, but I think it would compromise the handguard. No sense is making something that is relatively fragile even more fragile.
I had my wood handguard for quite a while and didn't consider it fragile. Only reason I got rid of it was I went from three gun to Service Rifle matches.

·
Very Old Salt
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I got a hold of a pre-boyds walnut hand guard not too long ago that cleared my medium weight barrel easy, but didn't have the stock to match. The hand guard was a little on the dark side. Glad to say I finally found a stock that's a decent match with it. Gave them both the teak oil refinish, and decided to share with y'all. Rifle is a loaded model, stock is a Winchester.

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,606 Posts
Reactions: flipmasterj

·
Registered
426 Posts
Next Month's Contest may get tough with the super nice rifles that have shown up on the Forum.

·
Super Moderator
2,211 Posts
Very very nice Flip. Not a big fan of the wood guards but that is a fine combination.

Great job on the stock, very clean.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.