M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a comparison of these 2 and here's the results (all I think I proved is that both rifles shoot better than me!). Hot August day here in North Texas. Warmed both rifles up with 40 rounds of mil surplus and then re-sighted and shot Federal Gold 168 BTHP for score.

I'm pretty sure I can do better as this was my first time on the M14 with the new (2.6#) trigger job and first time on the 100 yd range with the AR10 -- it has a good 4# match trigger.

100 Yard Range

The Rifles

M14 (CTK P3 shooting rest)

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Get a bipod and a rear bag for the AR10, mount the scope a little higher and much farther forward so that you can shoot with your nose to the charging handle (helps maintain a consistent cheekweld). I can tell right now looking at your pics that your AR10 has 3/4MOA accuracy potential.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Are these both rifles that you are equally familiar with shooting? I know I shoot my m14 and my buddy's repr about the same but he is much less familiar and doesn't shoot the m14 as well. Might be part of it too

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah broylz, I've had the M14 for 4 years now and put a few thousand rounds through it. This is the second time I shot AR10. Regarding the scope placement, the picture is with the butt slid forward, I should have slid it back the 3 inches before I took the pic.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I live in north Texas. What range is that? Looks way better than where I normally shoot.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
That's not an AR10.
AR pattern rifles require an entirely different technique than most others in order to shoot groups on paper.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dang, started back to work in April so I only get to the computer in the evenings.

Yes, the Sig is a piston gun and a joy to clean. The piston is stainless and you can easily get it spotless each cleaning -- I like this part better than the M14.

The range is Arlington Sportsmans Club which is actually in Mansfield. Year membership is very reasonable with no charges for range use.

The Sig 716 came with no muzzle brake and I added a POF. The recoil is much less than the M14 which has the SAI flash suppressor. I don't know how much of the difference is attributable to brake or the rifle but I would like to try a brake on the M14.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
I know about 300 screaming ar10 guys that i hope dont see this thread.

You know ARMALITE makes the ar10 right ?

Isnt the sig closer to the dpms?

Edit now i see the sig isnt even closely related to the dpms or the armalite.

Im not really a stickler just givin shoutz to the ar10 forum at arfcom. Keep it real boys

Your scope is mounted way off theres no way to shoot that properly.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Those who think the above post was made out of jealosy are right.

Edit: jealous of BOTH rifles.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Not necessarily they are just very dependent on trigger control and follow-through. With a 308 caliber that gets tricky as there's a lot more recoil than a 223.
...which require a different technique than straight stock or bolt action rifles. LOL...you say not necessarily, then you agree.
OK....

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Dang, started back to work in April so I only get to the computer in the evenings.

Yes, the Sig is a piston gun and a joy to clean. The piston is stainless and you can easily get it spotless each cleaning -- I like this part better than the M14.

The range is Arlington Sportsmans Club which is actually in Mansfield. Year membership is very reasonable with no charges for range use.

The Sig 716 came with no muzzle brake and I added a POF. The recoil is much less than the M14 which has the SAI flash suppressor. I don't know how much of the difference is attributable to brake or the rifle but I would like to try a brake on the M14.
I've heard nothing but good stuff about the sig 716s and the model you bought has a really neat configuration. I think you did right.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Can you tell us more? What differences in technique are needed?
One thing, The AR has three recoils and it takes a bit of concentration to hold your trigger after squeezing the shot and let those recoils cycle. It's part of the follow through process not unlike the M1A. Actually, it's part pof good follow through on any rifle, just a little more important on semi's. In that respect, the AR really isn't much different.
Second, and this is relatively AR specific, most people want to grip the pistol grip like a pistol with the web of you hand between your thumb and index finger pushed up against the rifle. With the AR, this places your hand too high, and your trigger finger is not pulling straight back, but more upward. It's better to lower your hand on the grip some and make sure you're pulling the trigger straight back. This is why you see some grips with the palm rest at the bottom of the grip.
Third thing is a good cheek weld which is difficult to get on most "tacticool" stocks. My long range AR's all have standard A2 stocks on them which work very well for the AR. I've tried the Magpul PRS and the adjustable cheek rest did not sit far forward enough for a good head position. The PRS does not adjust well with a rear bag, either, being flat on the bottom.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.