M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Im trying to build a special purpose M14 and I'd like to get some feedback from you. The purpose of this rifle is to be an ideal "truck gun" The following are the characteristics that I want it to have:
Easily deployable from vehicle..full size rifles suck for this
Simple and lightweight, with red dot non magnifed optic
Hard hitting carbine, typical engagements at under 200yrds, MOA accuracy not required.
For this build, I am using a Socom 16 with a custom FH/Brake. I would have prefered a 18in scout but Socom came at good price so that is the platform. Optic will be an Aimpoint M4. I may have prefered a T-1 but once again, I already have the M4 so that will be the optic. Now for the questions:
For a stock, I want a durable folding stock, due to the vehicle use. Folders are alot easier to deploy from a vehicle. I have a Sage stock on my M-39 and while I love it, I want a lighter stock for this rifle. I am seriously considered the VLTOR folder, or possible building my own with an ACE stock kit and a USGI fiberglass stock. Anyone do this vs spending the money on the VLTOR? Anyone have a side folding VLTOR stock that has some feedback?
Next is the optic mount. If I had bought a scout, I was planning on using the standard scout mount. I have an SEI mount that I am playing with but for the red dot, I think I would like it mounted a bit more forward. Anyone running a red dot on the factory scout mount or using an aftermarket forward mount? feedback?
Thanks guys, if Im trying to reinvent the wheel, let me know but I am trying to build a rifle to suit my purposes. Not a perfect CQB weapon, not a sniper rifle, just a good, compact, reliable rifle that can be quickly deployed from a vehicle and utilized against targets typically under 200yds away, yet hit harder than an M-4. Thanks, I welcome your input.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
When I first got my Socom 16, I chose the Ultmak M8 front handguard/rail. The reason I purchased it was because it was the lowest mount, and I wanted to cowitness a red dot scope to help line up that brick of a front sight.
Here are a few pictures to show you the set-up.

The scope is a Millet Zoomdot on low rings(30mm)
I have since put the rifle in a full wood stock/handguard. I filed the front blade down to .072" and installed a USGI rear aperture to help the accuracy.

Just one option to think about.
Glenn

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I forgot to mention the Ultimak M8 will add about 4.75 oz. to your Rifle over the regular handguard and scout mount.

Glenn

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mount

I like the ultimak. I have seen them and heard good things. I will def consider it. How solid is it? Once again this isn't a precision rifle but I'm not wanting anything sloppy. The weight is ok, lighter than some other rail systems and the socom can actually use a little weight up forward to balance it out. If the ultimak will really co witness with my irons that would be awesome, if they co witness, then I assume that your cheek weld was acceptable without using a Cheek piece?

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Vltor would be a good choice for the stock. However just remember the rules of being in CA. Nothing under 30 inches that functions unless it's already a RAW.

·
"Death From Above"
11,641 Posts
The only new folding stock that I know are available are as you mentioned the valtor and then there is the mcmillan MFS-14. There are older commercial folders by Reese surplus but the older ones are hard to find.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I like the ultimak. I have seen them and heard good things. I will def consider it. How solid is it? Once again this isn't a precision rifle but I'm not wanting anything sloppy. The weight is ok, lighter than some other rail systems and the socom can actually use a little weight up forward to balance it out. If the ultimak will really co witness with my irons that would be awesome, if they co witness, then I assume that your cheek weld was acceptable without using a Cheek piece?
My whole original idea for my Socom 16 was to be able to cowitness through the rear aperture. You have to look hard on the cowitness picture, but the red dot is right over the front blade. I used the red dot to help the Socom CQB sights, to make sure I had the blade centered not as the primary aimpoint. And if the red dot failed I am still aiming with the open sights through the scope.
I have seen others cowitness with the T-1 and M-2, I think the mount on the M-4 will make it too high. The Zoomdot is a 30mm tube and I think it came out to 46% below the dot, 54% above. With a 1 inch tube red dot with low rings you can have a 50/50 split. The ultimak M8 is solid. it has four points to secure it to the barrel and I could take the scope on and off and maybe be off my P.O.A. by 1"to1.5" at 100 yds.

Glenn

·
Registered
33 Posts
Regarding the do-it-yourself folder, although I don't have any direct experience, I have looked into the subject.

As you may or may not know, Choate used to make a folding stock that utilized a GI fiberglass stock which was chopped and mated to a Choate folding mechanism, with an added pistol grip. This unit was also sold by Springfield, pre-1994, as part of a folding stock 18" barreled M1A rifle/carbine, essentially a scout/bush rifle with a folding stock.

However, I've read that for the do-it-yourselfer, it's easier to attach a folding mechanism to a chopped M14 wood stock than it is to a fiberglass stock. I have no direct experience, so I can't say whether that's true.

However, I do have some instructions and photos that had been posted on another site by a person who had modified some M14s by adding Butler Creek folding mechanisms to M14 wood stocks. I won't post them because they're not my intellectual property.

If you want, I can send the verbatim instructions and photos by PM or Email. Again, it's not mine, and I take neither credit nor responsibility for the contents. I also have a photo (not mine, either) of the Choate folder that I can send, if you've never seen one.

·
Registered
844 Posts
The rifle build will be California exempt, thankyou for your concern though.
If it leaves the base in your posession with a folder, and it is not issued to you by the Marines and you are under orders to be armed, you'll get into a heap o' trouble.

If it's gonna stay on base, or some other state, then no worries.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
We're pretty sure you know the laws but we'd just hate to see one of the good guys get in any legal trouble because of a misunderstanding. Seems to happen a lot in CA because either people misinterpret the law or LE doesn't understand the law... Either way it's bad juju.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys

I do sincerely appreciate your concern guys. Rifle is being built for use outside of California. Whatever time it spends in California, it will be in full compliance, if it means temporilary pinning stock open during build/testing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
another option

I'm a newbie to the forum but if there's one thing I do know it's M14s. I was looking to do a similar build with my rifle before I got orders to the DC area. Look into CM Manufacturing. They offer almost exactly what you're looking for. I would have bought one myself if it wasn't for the legalities of where I'm going. I really like the kevlar reinforcement they use.

·
Registered
114 Posts
cali

if you are posted to a Cali base you can get the DOJ to give you a AW registration and from what Ive been told you can use it at any range but you are not supposed to bring in hi cap mags..

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Folders for your truck gun.

There are a few folders on the civilian market... A few that have already been mentioned.

McMillan MFS-14
McCann Carbon Fiber
CM Manufacturing

If you want to see pictures just google "differents m1a site" and go to the photo gallery and under the civilian section are pictures of all three, Among other stuff. You'll just have to go looking thru the gallery.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts